Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

when did Contabo start adding limits on VPS traffic?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

when did Contabo start adding limits on VPS traffic?

Hi there,

I just noticed Contabo has a traffic limit of 32TB on their VPS services. I don't remember seeing that few years ago. I have my services with them anyway since years, so I don't bother checking their website.

Just curious to know how new is that traffic limit? when did they introduce it?

Comments

• The real question here, is why are you using contabo?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Are you implying that you need more than 32TB?

• A lot of things with Contabo seems too good to be true.

I read this in their FAQ but it dosen't make sense to me:

Generally the full port speed is provided to you anytime. In case your server has an uplink faster than 100 Mbit/s and the average traffic consumption continuously exceeds 100 Mbit/s over a timespan of at least 10 days the connection is switched to 100 Mbit/s to make sure you will stay within your traffic package and will not incur any fees.

• if you use -
    97.345805764697 Mbit/s
    100% of it all month you will reach 32tb i do not think people need that much for most tasks.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • Hello!

That happened in the middle of June.

However the bandwidth had never been really unlimited at Contabo:

Unlimited traffic: No additional costs due to traffic, you can use 100 Mbit/s without any bandwidth restrictions or throttling. (Only in case your server has an uplink faster than 100 Mbit/s: If average traffic consumption continuously exceeds 100 Mbit/s over a timespan of at least 9 days the connection is switched to 100 Mbit/s).
    Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20190123092050/https://contabo.com/?show=vps

Anyway, 32TB is pretty enough for most of bandwidth hungry users.

Regards

• afnafn Member
    edited November 2021

@deank said:
    Are you implying that you need more than 32TB?

actually, no, I don't. I am still with them if I used more I would have noticed sooner :smile: some of my VPSes are 200 mbps, so obviously I do not use them for something bandwidth intensive.

And even if I do, whatever someone might want to with more than 32TB /month, is probably something not doable on these VPSes

@ITChristian said:

That happened in the middle of June.

@ITChristian Perfect, thanks for the info
    I was just curious to know

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Every provider has a limit, usually openly, sometimes hidden but there is no 'unlimited'.
    FWIW Contabo's 32 TB are VERY generous.

• @jsg said:
    Every provider has a limit, usually openly, sometimes hidden but there is no 'unlimited'.

The average port speed (over any 10 day period) permitted is 100 Mbit/s, so even if someone uses port non-stop for 50% of the time (and that is not likely for most customers) the most bandwidth used can not exceed 17 TB.

@dev_vps said:

@jsg said:

The average port speed (over any 10 day period) permitted is 100 Mbit/s, so even if someone uses port non-stop for 50% of the time (and that is not likely for most customers) the most bandwidth used can not exceed 17 TB.

Uhm, one can have 32 TB if one usually stays under 100 Mb/s - which is highly likely good enough for the vast majority of customers, most of which do not even use more than 50 Mb/s if that.

• @jsg said:

@dev_vps said:

@jsg said:

Uhm, one can have 32 TB if one usually stays under 100 Mb/s - which is highly likely good enough for the vast majority of customers, most of which do not even use more than 50 Mb/s if that.

if someone has good inner circle contact, this may be a good question to ask
    What percentage of customers exceed 12 TB of data ?

I expect it to be less than 1 per 1000

• And for over 24 TB of data, I would expect less than 1 per 10,000 customers

@dev_vps said:

@jsg said:

@dev_vps said:

@jsg said:

if someone has good inner circle contact, this may be a good question to ask
    What percentage of customers exceed 12 TB of data ?

I expect it to be less than 1 per 1000

@dev_vps said:
    And for over 24 TB of data, I would expect less than 1 per 10,000 customers

That roughly matches my guess which is a bit higher than your but yes, the vast majority of customers are probably under 10 TB. And with a 6 digits number of VMs I'm quite sure that Contabo knows their numbers and can live comfortably with the occasional VM using 10 TB - 32 TB which is easily balanced out by most clients being more in the 2 TB - 8 TB range.

In fact for an operation of Contabo's size limiting probably is mostly needed to keep "BW leechers" away/at bay by having a limit that is more than generous for 99.9% of customers (they want) but too low for leechers/abusers.

• The VPS I have, from a different provider, has monthly 80 TB bandwidth.

I take that as a marketing number. In actual cases, 10 TB is good enough limit due to limitation of shared resources in a VPS