Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-BF yearly renewals
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pre-BF yearly renewals

dahartigandahartigan Member
edited October 2021 in General

What are you guys doing with the yearly renewals you get in this period just before Black Friday?

Are you renewing and hoping BF sucks or are you canceling and betting it all on BF being killer?

Me, I'm going on a cancel rampage and renewing the ones I sense might not get replaced. Maybe it works out, maybe not.

Comments

• same here, have cancelled 2 out of 5.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Tough one.

• You can list their configurations to share or resell them to the world. With this year when the coin "CHIA" appeared it increased the price of hard drives by 40%. That makes me predict BF2021 with low memory configurations

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @Sava said: increased the price of hard drives by 40%. That makes me predict BF2021 with low memory

what?

• pbxpbx Member

@Falzo said: what?

HOST NODE SWAP FOR THE WIN!

• Canceling 5 out of 30.

two canceled for being too small.
    two canceled because they suck.
    One canceled because it was redundant. I bought a bigger one from the same provider on Christmas sale

Thanked by 2dahartigan idleparty
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited October 2021

I have too many great deals, which causes a great hostname shortage, so that I wouldn't be able to take new deals on this Black Friday.

hostname provider location spec annual price action
    box3 Gullo YUL 256MB NAT $2 renew
    box8 WebHorizon WAW 1GB $15 cancel
    vps0 HostHatch MDW 512MB & 250GB HDD $15 renew
    vps1 VirMach LAX 1.8GB & 45GB SSD $8.88 renew
    vps2 GreenCloudVPS SIN 1GB $20 undecided
    vps3 HosterLabs YUL 6GB IPv6 only $15 hoster left
    vps4 SpartanHost SEA 1GB $16 renew
    vps5 VirMach BUF 384MB $4 sold
    vps6 Nexril DAL 1GB $8.20 & 24 push-ups renew
    vps7 VirMach ATL 1GB $8.87 undecided
    vps8 WebHorizon OTP 6GB & 80GB NVMe $16 waiting for delivery
    vps9 Webhosting24 MUC 1GB €10 renew
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2021

Its pretty simple, everything that has been categorized as shit, gets ze balls loose.
    So I am already at a deficit, so gonna buy whats good, no busses or trains just cars.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • I think I'll cancel both of my 2020 yearly dedis, 1 has too small a disk to be of much use, the other has too little horsepower to be of much use.

The trick is getting something else early enough that I can migrate the data before the old ones get cancelled. If I can't, I may just have to go abuse Hetzner's 14 day cancellation policy. Again.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @Nekki said:
    If I can't, I may just have to go abuse Hetzner's 14 day cancellation policy. Again.

Wouldn't do this too often. They'll lock your account after a while, just like Amazon stops shipping to you if you return too often used items.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @webcraft said: Wouldn't do this too often. They'll lock your account after a while, just like Amazon stops shipping to you if you return too often used items.

What's classed as 'while'? I've been doing it for years.

I also couldn't care less if they close my account, I'm very unlikely to ever buy anything, everything seems to run like shit.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Bah, pre-BlackBoyfriend deals?

What next?

Pre-BF deals.
    BF deals.
    Post-BF deals.
    Really late BF deals (December)
    Late BF / New year deals.
    Late New year deals
    Really late New year deals (April)

Thanked by 2webcraft dahartigan
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2021

Then there is

“Is this still available ? deals
    And

“I missed it.. any chances of re stock?” Deals

not to mention.. sloppy seconds (transfers)

@deank said:

What next?

Pre-BF deals.
    BF deals.
    Post-BF deals.
    Late New year deals

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said: I have too many great deals, which causes a great hostname shortage, so that I wouldn't be able to take new deals on this Black Friday.

As an IPv6 Advocate I think you're required to change your server naming scheme to hex.

In 2020, some hosts went deadpool a month after BF deals.

We will see how it goes this year.

Thanked by 3dahartigan ariq01 AXYZE
  • My favourite was the company selling UK Atoms for peanuts, clearly unsustainable but we had a great time. I think they lasted 6 months. I think that was the BF we got rid of Delimiter.

Thanked by 1dahartigan

All I remember of that host is the epic meltdown and PMS.

When the guy lost his head, he really did go full woman-mode.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @Nekki said:
    My favourite was the company selling UK Atoms for peanuts, clearly unsustainable but we had a great time. I think they lasted 6 months. I think that was the BF we got rid of Delimiter.

VortexNode. Oh I miss that $5 Atom dedi.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • I'm renewing 3/4. Hoping for some more EU and Asia locations this year.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • I can’t see HostHatch having better deals than last time

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @Nekki said:
    What's classed as 'while'? I've been doing it for years.

Don't have an exact number but remember they required further validation to order after about tenth return. Maybe this depends on what server type you order and if you have other active services with them. Can't find the post unfortunately but it was someone in their German forum who posted a story with this info.

• @webcraft said: Don't have an exact number but remember they required further validation to order after about tenth return. Maybe this depends on what server type you order and if you have other active services with them. Can't find the post unfortunately but it was someone in their German forum who posted a story with this info.

I've returned about 14 auction servers in the last week. I have no active services.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @yorkchou said:

@Nekki said:
    My favourite was the company selling UK Atoms for peanuts, clearly unsustainable but we had a great time. I think they lasted 6 months. I think that was the BF we got rid of Delimiter.

VortexNode. Oh I miss that $5 Atom dedi.

You and me both, brother. All a man wants is a shitty desktop processor and a few TB of disk.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Won't be renewing some old storage as those guys have lost touch with reality and failed to upgrade hardware in any meaningful way. I am talking "unable to saturate 100Mbps link" failed.

Will be on lookout for storage deals in AUS/NZ, maybe minimal compute as well.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @deank said:
    What next?
    Pre-BF deals.
    BF deals.
    Post-BF deals.
    Late New year deals

That isn't next. That all already happens, going by the contents of the junk mail I get and adverts elsewhere online & on TV...

They want you to think that you are getting a deal when, in fact, you are not.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I'm going to cancel all single core VPSs that I have. From now on, it's at least 2vCores and 2GB of RAM, hoping to get 4/4 or 4vcores/6GB RAM.
    Keeping my dedis.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Arkas said:
    I'm going to cancel all single core VPSs that I have. From now on, it's at least 2vCores and 2GB of RAM, hoping to get 4/4 or 4vcores/6GB RAM.
    Keeping my dedis.

The provider can give you whatever number of cores you desire, and then adjust the ratio so that all those virtual cores are mapped to the same physical core.

My minimum is still 1 core and 1GB.
    However, my summer push-ups report indicates that RAM is likely a bottleneck in my application performance.
    Therefore, I plan to not order any more 1GB nodes.

Thanked by 2IziD dahartigan
  • @yoursunny said:

@Arkas said:
    Keeping my dedis.

The provider can give you whatever number of cores you desire, and then adjust the ratio so that all those virtual cores are mapped to the same physical core.

My minimum is still 1 core and 1GB.
    However, my summer push-ups report indicates that RAM is likely a bottleneck in my application performance.
    Therefore, I plan to not order any more 1GB nodes.

Single-core benchmark score, which provider from your list has the best score?

• I got to the point of too much idling. Must stop. Must resist.

I shall try to keep just the storage deals for backups. Besides, providers will likely need the all that IPv4 for other clients who still want IPv4.