Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self hosted Passbolt or Premium 1Password
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self hosted Passbolt or Premium 1Password

Which one would you prefer?

Assuming that you are going to save all your major passwords in this

Password Managers
  1. Which is better?35 votes
    1. Premium 1Password
      54.29%
    2. Self hosted Passbolt
      45.71%

Comments

• I'm a user of passbolt. Beeing selfhosted and the encryption model of passbolt convinced me to use online password managers. passbolt might not be the feature richest tool compared to its competitors but I have no worries that my password manager is reachable by public internet.

• Option 3: Self Hosted Bitwarden
    Option 4: Premium Bitwarden

For me: Premium Bitwarden

• @danielcardosopt said:
    Option 3: Self Hosted Bitwarden

I haven't used it so I cannot add it. I will definitely keep these in mind.

Thanked by 1Binary
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited October 2021

I've never heard of Passbolt. Interesting, I'll look into it since I'm always interested in open-source software. Do they have an Android app?

Currently I'm on LastPass since I got a free premium account because we use LastPass Enterprise at work. However, at work we're migrating from LastPass to a different vendor, so I'm looking at migrating my personal passwords to Bitwarden.

@danielcardosopt said:
    Option 3: Self Hosted Bitwarden

Option 5: Self-hosted Vaultwarden (Rust reimplementation of Bitwarden)

• Option 5: Self-hosted Vaultwarden

Thanked by 1ehab
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

There's also putting your 1Password vault on Dropbox. They don't advertise the owned license much but it's still an option last I checked.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

well, one is free and one isn't. if someone were to give me one, i would take the 1password since it is more convenient and user friendly. i feel like if i were to self host, i would inevitably fuck something up and lose my passwords

• Not a fan of 1Password since it's closed-source, which isn't ideal for security-related software.

• @raindog308 said:
    There's also putting your 1Password vault on Dropbox. They don't advertise the owned license much but it's still an option last I checked.

Stand-alone licences have now been discontinued. Although they are offering 3yr discount to move over to their paid monthly/yearly plans.

@LeonDynamic said: Stand-alone licences have now been discontinued. Although they are offering 3yr discount to move over to their paid monthly/yearly plans.

Damn...wasn't looking forward to finding a new password manager but I guess now I have to.

• Bitwarden + Vaultwarden all the way for me.

Dave Teare, 1Password CEO in an email to me in 2017;

"So first things first, I know not everyone wants to use subscriptions and that's why we are NOT forcing it upon you."

Dave Teare, 2021:

"Screw you, loyal customer! I'm not interested in meeting your needs because you are not important to me!"

• Self-hosted Bitwarden, so far so good.

• keepass + syncthing. Works well enough, although I am also playing around with a redundant vaultwarden setup.

• @Shados said:
    keepass + syncthing. Works well enough, although I am also playing around with a redundant vaultwarden setup.

I like this approach too. You can also use KeeWeb to access your passwords remotely.

• Option 4: Premium Bitwarden
    Free version is fine, too. I just want to support them for $10/yr.

Tried KeePass, was too much work for me.
    Tried StickyPassword Premium, it was excruciatingly slow and the UI was weird.
    Tried LastPass, it had a clunky UI but worked until they screwed free users.

Bitwarden is open source, easy to use, and snappy. I love it.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • FritzFritz Veteran
    edited October 2021

Option Z : free account of Bitwarden.

Thanked by 1dosai
  • I prefer using pass (www.passwordstore.org) only on machine, Never using any android app for password manager, If i need something using termux and git my .password-store

• @Logano said:
    Free version is fine, too. I just want to support them for $10/yr.

Tried KeePass, was too much work for me.
    Tried StickyPassword Premium, it was excruciatingly slow and the UI was weird.
    Tried LastPass, it had a clunky UI but worked until they screwed free users.

Bitwarden is open source, easy to use, and snappy. I love it.

In the same boat. Used LastPass years ago until they got taken over then moved to Bitwarden after trying a lot of others.

• Premium Bitwarden for +1

• CabbageCabbage Member
    edited October 2021

Self host 1Password, it got way more features.
    At least I hope...

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • KeePassDX.

• I use 1Password but I'm not looking forward to making the migration to something else. I moved from LastPass, but paying $5 month for another subscription service is a bit much.

• Option 9 - KeePass

• self host bitwarden(valuewarden)

Interesting article:

"How You Can Self-Host Bitwarden at (Nearly) No Cost Using Google Cloud"

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-host-self-host-bitwarden/

...though vaultwarden should be used instead of the deprecated bitwarden_rs.

• @raindog308 though vaultwarden should be used instead of the deprecated bitwarden_rs.

Isn't just the same product renamed to vaultwarden? :o

• For me:free account of Bitwarden

@elliotc said: Isn't just the same product renamed to vaultwarden?

Yes - I meant that the article refers to bitwardenrs and it'd be better to refer to vaultwarden.

• Just write them down on a notebook and hide it in the bottom refrigerator rack.