Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for small-ish KVM box
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for small-ish KVM box

Looking for a (preferably) KVM VPS, preferably with:

• 1-2 CPU cores, hopefully not really old Xeons.
  • 1GB-2GB of RAM
  • At least 40-50GB SSD space.
  • At least 1TB of bandwidth, 1Gbit/s shared port is fine.
  • DDoS protection not really needed
  • 1 IPv4 address + IPv6 as a bonus
  • Located in the United States (the midwest or Canada). Good connectivity to Eastern Canada is a plus.
  • Up to $7 USD per month
  • Prefer monthly term, but can do quarterly or longer if the provider is reputable enough

Been a while since I've needed to find a VPS, so let me know if any of these are unreasonable. Thanks.

Comments

• You have a lot of options. The best value for money is always gonna be Racknerd right now as they currently have a promo going.

Extra votes for Nexus Bytes in LA, prem stuff :)

Thanked by 2FlamesRunner dustinc
  • LexLex Member

You can't go wrong with RackNerd!

Thanked by 2FlamesRunner dustinc
  • stratagemstratagem Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2021

Argon VPS - £40/year with promo BestLET40 if that's any good to you. Bit low on disk but hits your other requirements.

• 2 Cores (AMD EPYC)
    • 2GB RAM
    • 30GB SSD
    • 1 IPv4 & /112 IPv6 (free routed /64)
    • 3TB @ 1Gbps*

Edit: Sorry, didn't spot your US requirement until it was too late :)

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Could possibly put something custom together of either 2c2g but lower space, or 1c1g and more space? Would that be an option?

If so, LA would likely be best choice. /64 and best afford DDoS as standard - on Clouviders network.

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • When I saw small-ish kvm.....what in my mind is server with ram 512mb or below....

Thanked by 1chihcherng
  • HayashimaHayashima Member
    edited October 2021

I will recommend Hostodo.com Las Vegas location for this.

Also softshellweb's special offer at San Jose for 39USD/YEAR is still available at here (You can submit a ticket to ask them if they can provide IPV6 for the special offer or not)

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • BuyVM $7 slice fits your requirement.
    //this is not even close to “small-ish” by LET standards

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

@FlamesRunner said:
    Located in the United States (the midwest or Canada). Good connectivity to Eastern Canada is a plus.

For Eastern Canada we just stood up a location in Halifax the other week, great connectivity to EastLink customers (direct peering) and 20ms from Toronto where our upstream has peering to most other Canadian ISPs. We've priced this location a bit higher then our other locations, but I could do a special price for $5/mo for the above listed specs if you were interested.

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@Lex said:
    You can't go wrong with RackNerd!

Thank You for the recommendation @Lex 👊

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited October 2021

hopefully not really old Xeons.

Good luck! Old Xeons are what keeps the low-end industry afloat.

Some hosts do have newer hardware with AMD Ryzen processors, which would be your best bet. You can definitely feel the performance difference since the Ryzen have much faster RAM (a lot of the old Xeons only have DDR3-1600), more memory bandwidth, and is just faster overall.

Some hosts use more modern Xeons. One of the hosts I use (Quantum Core, based in Australia) uses Xeon Gold 6258R on their newer nodes (even for AU$5/month plans), which was released in Q1 2020 and thus brand new at the time they built the nodes. These are expensive (I think the processor is around US$4000), so usually only the hosts with a large amount of capital will have them.

Anyways, there's many hosts that can meet those specs. RackNerd's recent sale is great, plus it's nearly Black Friday and I reckon most VPS hosts will have deals that suit your needs. For now you can use serverhunter.com to compare regular pricing of hosts.

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited October 2021

@freerangecloud Your network sounds great! Definitely interested.

@Daniel15 said:

One can hope :)

The goal is to not have 1st/2nd generation E series Xeons (like an E3-1240 v1) or perhaps some X series processors from the pre-Intel Core era.

edited October 2021

Oh also if you increase your budget a bit, Contabo is actually pretty good IF you get their newer NVMe servers (you can pick NVMe at the checkout). I was very impressed with the speed.

$8.24/month gets you 4 CPU cores on modern AMD EPYC, 8 GB RAM, 50 GB NVMe storage in central US (St Louis). They charge $6.99/month for this VPS in Germany but there's a $1.25/month upcharge for central US, $1.50 for west US (Seattle), and $1.75 for east US (New York).

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@FlamesRunner said:
    @freerangecloud Your network sounds great! Definitely interested.

@Daniel15 said:

One can hope :)

The goal is to not have 1st/2nd generation E series Xeons (like an E3-1240 v1) or perhaps some X series processors from the pre-Intel Core era.

e3's are actually fairly fast, compared to e5's. usually nearly as fast as EPYC. E5's are usually slower but obviously that will be common in low end VPS. Still acceptable depending on your use case.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited October 2021

@bruh21

The newer E3s aren't too bad as far as I'm concerned. Just that my current box, which has an E5 with a Geekbench 5 single/multi-core score in the neighbourhood of <500 on a good day isn't that great IMO for $7/month + tax.

My logic here is that newer CPUs will typically have faster memory, which would help my workload (SQL, document searching w/cache, web frontend) and the boost in single-thread performance helps on pretty much all fronts. That's why I'm looking for something a little newer.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@FlamesRunner said:
    @bruh21

The newer E3s aren't too bad as far as I'm concerned. Just that my current box, which has an E5 with a Geekbench 5 single/multi-core score in the neighbourhood of <500 on a good day isn't that great IMO for $7/month + tax.

My logic here is that newer CPUs will typically have faster memory, which would help my workload (SQL, document searching w/cache, web frontend) and the boost in single-thread performance helps on pretty much all fronts. That's why I'm looking for something a little newer.

1st gen E3's get >650 gb5. but yeah, if ram speed is what you're after, it's better to look for modern EPYC or Xeon Silver/Gold CPU's with DDR4. 4th Gen E5's could work too

edited October 2021

@FlamesRunner said: my workload (SQL, document searching w/cache, web frontend)

For what it's worth, Wishosting have a Ryzen 5950x with 2 vCores, 8 GB RAM and 200GB NVMe storage for $10/month. It's in France though, and over your budget, so it's probably not the best choice. I've got an upgraded sale version of it (4 vCores, 8 GB RAM and 500 GB NVMe for $12/month) and it's working pretty well for some IO-heavy use cases (eg. I'm running a Sentry server on it for error + perf logging for some webapps that get a decent number of hits). The 4-core version I've got gets 1321 single-core and 4170 multi-core in GB5: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/10480370

Thanked by 1exception0x876