Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup's RS 1.21 Gigawatt - 2 dedi. cores, 12GB RAM 360GB SSD - 12.10 EUR/m
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup's RS 1.21 Gigawatt - 2 dedi. cores, 12GB RAM 360GB SSD - 12.10 EUR/m

Damn!

Netcup are having yet another special, this time on a monster "Root-Server". They call it "RS 1.21 Gigawatt". Specs:

Prozessor: AMD EPYC 7702
Prozessorkerne: 2 dediziert
Arbeitsspeicher DDR 4 ECC: 12 GB
Festplatte: 360 GB SSD

Price: 12.1 eur/m.

Links:

https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2783
https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2783

Thanked by 3angstrom steny WebGex

Comments

• It's back-to-the-future day. Only today, and only a total of 121 servers available

• pbxpbx Member

@angstrom said: It's back-to-the-future day. Only today, and only a total of 121 servers available

They are funny.

It's a nice machine, but pricing is maybe too much in line with their usual offering: they offer more RAM and SSD than RS 1000 G9 but it's a bit more expensive; less RAM and less cores than RS 2000 G9 but it's a bit cheaper. It's some kind of RS 1000 G9 on steroids. Nice little machine though, as two AMD EPYC™ 7702 cores can do a lot of things with that much RAM!

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited October 2021

@pbx said:

@angstrom said: It's back-to-the-future day. Only today, and only a total of 121 servers available

They are funny.

It's a nice machine, but pricing is maybe too much in line with their usual offering: they offer more RAM and SSD than RS 1000 G9 but it's a bit more expensive; less RAM and less cores than RS 2000 G9 but it's a bit cheaper. It's some kind of RS 1000 G9 on steroids. Nice little machine though, as two AMD EPYC™ 7702 cores can do a lot of things with that much RAM!

Yes, the price is good but not of the "I can't miss out on this"-kind, especially with the "pay 12 months in advance"-condition. This said, it's a nice VPS. :)

Thanked by 3wpyoga pbx darkimmortal
  • 12 Months prepay.. Do you really need it?

Thanked by 1pbx
  • I ordered it when their website described the specs as 4c20g rather than 2c12g. And now I've asked the support and waited for a reply.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • Hardware supports nested VT but no mention on the product detail page. Is it artificially limited?

• pbxpbx Member
    edited October 2021

@Bangumi said: 4c20g rather than 2c12g

I think it was a mistake, if you're lucky they'll honor it and it will be a killer deal.

Edit: they confirmed that it's 12GB/2cores

Thanked by 1Bangumi
  • pbxpbx Member

@kevertje said: Is it artificially limited?

Yes, they can unlock it but there is a monthly fee so. Better use LXC/LXD or similar if this can work for your use case.

• @pbx said:

@Bangumi said: 4c20g rather than 2c12g

I think it was a mistake, if you're lucky they'll honor it and it will be a killer deal.

Edit: they confirmed that it's 12GB/2cores

Is Twitter down (again)?

• No, twitter works.
    Also best topic to ask that :D

• @JabJab said:
    No, twitter works.
    Also best topic to ask that :D

It was because @pbx posted (four posts above) a Twitter link.

Twitter tells me (repeatedly):

Something went wrong, but don’t fret — let’s give it another shot.

• pbxpbx Member

@angstrom said: Twitter tells me (repeatedly):

Had the same message, after a couple of F5 the page showed fine...

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • I don't get it, how is this a good deal?

The (significantly better) RS 2000 G9 is 14EUR / month, with a yearly commitment. There are still vouchers floating around that would bring that down to 12EUR/month (again, with a yearly commitment). So even if this new offer were for 4 cores and 20GB, as they initially advertised, it would still only be a minor upgrade on top of what's already on offer. But at least that might be worth getting (BF sales are coming, one would think they'll have similar if not better offers).

• @fitzroy said: I don't get it, how is this a good deal?

yeah, I have the same question...

• pbxpbx Member

It's more a 'special plan' between the RS 1000 G9 and the RS 2000 G9 than a "I can't miss out on this"-kind of deal to use @angstrom expression. Not bad, not not the best deal ever.

Some people don't need the RS 2000 G9, but might enjoy a bit more RAM than what the normal RS 1000 offers...

The vouchers you mention aren't recurring, @fitzroy, isn't it? While pricing for this offer is recurring. Of course, 4 cores and 20GB of RAM would have been a better deal. This one (sold out anyway!) was pretty close to their usual pricing.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • I'm skeptical about the 'sold out' part; maybe they just realized the error and pulled the offer. The vouchers might not be recurring, but does that matter? You'd get 12 months at the same price (12 EUR / month) for significantly better specs (4 vs 2 cores, + 4GB RAM) and in 12 months you can just renew or update your plan as you see fit (and likely for a better deal, too).

• Compared to other deals its still probably one of the best deals. You'll have dedicated cores, a lot of fast storage and a great network. But compared to other deals, like Easter Deal around 11,XX Euro with 4 cored and 16GB RAM was still a lot better imho.

• fitzroyfitzroy Member
    edited October 2021

@nobizzle said:
    But compared to other deals, like Easter Deal around 11,XX Euro with 4 cored and 16GB RAM was still a lot better imho.

One month until BF sales, so I hope they'll have something similar. I'm also tempted by their 6-core version, but I feel the 4-core RS is better value.

• pbxpbx Member

Not an error, their specials sell out quickly. It was a decent deal as it's recurring, and better than RS 1000 G9.

@fitzroy said: The vouchers might not be recurring, but does that matter?

Of course. The point with using Netcup is that it might not be the cheapest on the market but it's the cheapest in this quality range. So it's great for hosting stuff on the long run, when you've been provider-hoping for a while and see no interest in doing do. Recurring deals are the best: if they fit your needs, you keep them without having to look for another provider.

@fitzroy said: I hope they'll have something similar.

That would be neat. Curious to know what Netcup will have for BF!