Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


How to fix/get 10Gbps speed on windows server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

How to fix/get 10Gbps speed on windows server?

maroomaroo Member

Hello everyone ,

Last week i bought dedicated server from clouvider with 10Gbps port but sadly i m only getting around 2~3Gbps speed on windows server 2019 :(
but speed looks fine on linux according to clouvider test using iperf3 ,

i tried to get help on google but no luck ,
windows installed 10Gbps driver/adapter but speed is same ,
i also enabled 10 Gbps duplex from configuration setting but no luck ,

i checked speed on windows 2019 / 2016 / 2012 but same speed :(

unfortunately clouvider support team does not want to help me and they force me to buy their license for windows which is unfair i think , atleast they should help to fix the issue if they can .

does anyone know any solution to fix this speed issue?

Thank you!

«1

Comments

  • @maroo said:
    unfortunately clouvider support team does not want to help me and they force me to buy their license for windows which is unfair i think , atleast they should help to fix the issue if they can .

    You're using an unlicenced Windows?

    does anyone know any solution to fix this speed issue?

    Thank you!

    Use Linux. Windows has no business being on a server.

  • LukeQCLukeQC Member, Provider

    I've been able to achieve speeds of 10Gb+ on Windows 2019 without having to do anything special.

    Maybe the node they provision Windows servers on is on a shared 10Gb link so you'll never truly see the 10Gb speeds.

  • maroomaroo Member

    @dahartigan said:
    You're using an unlicenced Windows?

    No ,
    i downloaded trial version from microsoft site and activated ,
    i also checked cracked version but same issue.

    Use Linux. Windows has no business being on a server.

    Sadly i m a windows user :(

  • GameTownProjectsGameTownProjects Member, Provider

    How exactly do you test the connection?

    10 GBit/s is quite a lot. Something else can quickly be the bottleneck here.
    I can't imagine that the problems come from Windows itself.

  • maroomaroo Member

    @LukeQC said:
    I've been able to achieve speeds of 10Gb+ on Windows 2019 without having to do anything special.

    awesome

    Maybe the node they provision Windows servers on is on a shared 10Gb link so you'll never truly see the 10Gb speeds.

    so any solution for windows please? i can request them if any solution available out there.
    atleast should be 7~9Gbps

  • LukeQCLukeQC Member, Provider
    edited October 20

    @maroo said: so any solution for windows please? i can request them if any solution available out there.
    atleast should be 7~9Gbps

    What @GameTownProjects said, you have to find the bottleneck. I highly doubt Windows is the issue as I've played around with quite a few 2019 servers that have been able to achieve 10Gb+ without anything needing to be modified to achieve this.

    It could just be that your host offers 10Gb but that's the highest speed possible. They might have multiple 10Gb links but you're sharing it with other customers so unless everyone suddenly stops their traffic, you'll never really see the promised links.

    Have you asked if you have a 10Gb dedicated link or a shared link?

  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited October 20

    Linux Drop Tips had videos related to that issue.
    Check ze Youtubs.

    Thanked by 1k4zz
  • How do you test the speed?

  • AllHost_BenAllHost_Ben Member, Provider

    Grab the iperf binaries for Windows and test using that.
    If you believe there's an upstream speed issue than load up a linux ISO of some sort and use iperf there to rule out it being a Windows issue.

  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited October 20

    @maroo said:

    @LukeQC said:
    I've been able to achieve speeds of 10Gb+ on Windows 2019 without having to do anything special.

    awesome

    Maybe the node they provision Windows servers on is on a shared 10Gb link so you'll never truly see the 10Gb speeds.

    so any solution for windows please? i can request them if any solution available out there.
    atleast should be 7~9Gbps

    Windows 10 / 2019 iPerf3
    Network Speed Test

  • maroomaroo Member

    @GameTownProjects said:
    How exactly do you test the connection?

    10 GBit/s is quite a lot. Something else can quickly be the bottleneck here.
    I can't imagine that the problems come from Windows itself.

    iperf3
    clouvider speed test
    speed test from google links
    https://prnt.sc/1wuj2xy

  • maroomaroo Member

    @LukeQC said:

    @maroo said: so any solution for windows please? i can request them if any solution available out there.
    atleast should be 7~9Gbps

    What @GameTownProjects said, you have to find the bottleneck. I highly doubt Windows is the issue as I've played around with quite a few 2019 servers that have been able to achieve 10Gb+ without anything needing to be modified to achieve this.

    It could just be that your host offers 10Gb but that's the highest speed possible. They might have multiple 10Gb links but you're sharing it with other customers so unless everyone suddenly stops their traffic, you'll never really see the promised links.

    Have you asked if you have a 10Gb dedicated link or a shared link?

    Yes i asked them and they said " The server is connected with a dedicated 10Gbps port."
    let me confirm one more time properly

  • Host with 10Gbps port just advertising tricks used to attract buyers. Everyone want this. But to VPS port speed will discreased. You can get 1Gbps at least.

  • LukeQCLukeQC Member, Provider
    edited October 20

    @maroo said: Yes i asked them and they said " The server is connected with a dedicated 10Gbps port."
    let me confirm one more time properly

    They can say that you're on a dedicated 10Gb port when in reality, your server might just have a 10Gb nic and you'll get nowhere near 10Gb as @jenkki said.

    When I was testing speeds on server 2019 it was with the latest Intel nics at the time and it was internal traffic so it didn't factor in public links. This does show though that it's most likely not a Windows issue but an issue with the nic or public links.

    Thanked by 1jenkki
  • Its pretty common to have servers setup on shared 10GE ports. I hear the same about Hetzner 10GE a lot too. Hetzner claims its 10GE dedicated uplink but I read a lot of comments about users not getting more than 2-3GE. Obviously everybody's mileage varies when it comes to shared posts. If you got other users on the same switch/backend hammering their connection a lot then that will affect your performance.

    Look up Leaseweb Premium, specifically from a reseller called Andy10gbit (Discord: https://discord.gg/2SvfnDgKqN). I've used a E-2286G, 32GB RAM 2x480GB SSD 10GE from him and easily utilized 9-10GE in Windows 2019. Leaseweb Premium will guarantee you 100% QoS. Avoid Leaseweb Volume bandwidth...

  • maroomaroo Member

    @AllHost_Ben said:
    Grab the iperf binaries for Windows and test using that.
    If you believe there's an upstream speed issue than load up a linux ISO of some sort and use iperf there to rule out it being a Windows issue.

    Already did it https://prnt.sc/1wuj2xy

  • @sunnyg said: Hetzner claims its 10GE dedicated uplink but I read a lot of comments about users not getting more than 2-3GE.

    If you get 10Gbps on $5 VPS show me. Most VPS only 1Gbps few up to 2Gbps.

  • maroomaroo Member
    edited October 20

    @dev_vps said:

    @maroo said:

    @LukeQC said:
    I've been able to achieve speeds of 10Gb+ on Windows 2019 without having to do anything special.

    awesome

    Maybe the node they provision Windows servers on is on a shared 10Gb link so you'll never truly see the 10Gb speeds.

    so any solution for windows please? i can request them if any solution available out there.
    atleast should be 7~9Gbps

    Windows 10 / 2019 iPerf3
    Network Speed Test

    yeah doing this since last few days with iperf3 and with some other google links but same results.
    https://prnt.sc/1wuj2xy

  • maybe the hard drives can't reach 10Gbps on Windows?

  • maroomaroo Member

    @comXyz said:
    maybe the hard drives can't reach 10Gbps on Windows?

    nah , it is NVMe drive

  • i also checked cracked version but same issue.

    Dang, you're thorough.

  • maroomaroo Member

    @rogerwilco said:

    i also checked cracked version but same issue.

    Dang, you're thorough.

    Just for checking the speed issue , not for using.

  • @maroo said:

    @comXyz said:
    maybe the hard drives can't reach 10Gbps on Windows?

    nah , it is NVMe drive

    Which NVMe can reach 10Gbps for small data packets on Windows?

  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited October 20

    @maroo said: Last week i bought dedicated server from clouvider with 10Gbps port but sadly i m only getting around 2~3Gbps speed on windows server 2019
    but speed looks fine on linux according to clouvider test using iperf3

    You are getting 2-3Gbps to WHERE?! This in a single thread or multiple threads? What software are you using to test (or how are you testing)? This is the important information you haven't yet provided. MOST services on the internet will not be able to provide throughput higher than a few Gbps in a single thread and using iperf it uses UDP and really small packets to reach full usage on the link and likely to a local server on network (not on the internet). With larger TCP packets you are not going to actually reach the full 10Gbit so comparing iperf to another test method is not a good representation, you need to test with the same method on both. 10Gbit link is really meant to more so make sure you are not bottle necked on their local network but it has nothing to do with the speeds you can get from another server on another network. You will be limited to both the quality of the network you are connecting to and the link of the device you are trying to retrieve data from. If the server you are trying to retrieve or send data to is not on the same network or using lower quality peers it is likely you will see a large drop in speeds and then if the server you are connecting to is on 10Gbit but busy you are not going to realize the full speed there either.

    TL;DR:
    You need to provide a lot more information about your use case and how you are testing before anyone here can be of help debugging your issue. The most likely answer here is your expectations don't meet up with reality and you are expecting magic and unicorns from having 10Gbit access when this does nothing to dictate the speed of the other server you are connecting to unless it is directly on network, known to be 10Gbit+ and you are the only one accessing it.

    Edit: Sorry, I did not see your screen captures of iperf until after I had written this, I do see you were testing with iperf in windows and only getting 3Gbit there. Are you checking in the same datacenter though or externally in https://prnt.sc/1wuj2xy ? You are likely not going to get full 10Gbit between different datacenters in most cases is why I am asking. If that is in the same DC, then I can agree there may be something up with that -- though another way you can do this is run more than one iperf at once to the destination, the goal being to see if you can actually reach higher speeds -- just because you have 10Gbit doesn't mean you will be able to achieve full throughput in a single thread. There are also options for iperf to choose multiple threads in a single test, you could review and try that as well.

    my 2 cents.

    Cheers!

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider
    edited October 20

    Since we appear to be blamed here publicly word of clarification.

    10G servers are connected with a 10G dedicated port.

    We have provided the Customer evidence of full linerate transfer bidirectionally, 9.41Gbit/s under the OS Clouvider provisioned the server with as well as under the recovery OS.

    Under Customer installed Windows OS the Customer provided an evidence that, to the same testing point, they are getting around 3Gbps.

    Once the Customer has re-installed the OS to a different one himself, we reasonably cannot take the responsibility for that operating system, not least because we don't know the source of the image, what could be bundled with it, or what drivers were installed, if any and what problems could have been introduced then.

    We have offered to install the Windows OS correctly for the Customer, which would require the Customer to purchase a legitimate OS license from Clouvider. Customer is not interested in this resolution however, so given the service functions correctly we have exhausted the support track available for this self-managed dedicated server service.

  • CalinCalin Member

    @maroo Disable windows security, and windows firewall, and try again

  • maroomaroo Member

    @Calin said:
    @maroo Disable windows security, and windows firewall, and try again

    Same result after doing so :(

  • deankdeank Member, Troll

    @Clouvider said:
    Since we appear to be blamed here publicly word of clarification.

    Slipped

    tl;tr

    I don't know what I am doing. I was offered a help but I am right anyway, so I refused. I am right. I will be right. I was right.

  • maroomaroo Member

    @Clouvider said:
    Since we appear to be blamed here publicly word of clarification.

    10G servers are connected with a 10G dedicated port.

    We have provided the Customer evidence of full linerate transfer bidirectionally, 9.41Gbit/s under the OS Clouvider provisioned the server with as well as under the recovery OS.

    Under Customer installed Windows OS the Customer provided an evidence that, to the same testing point, they are getting around 3Gbps.

    Once the Customer has re-installed the OS to a different one himself, we reasonably cannot take the responsibility for that operating system, not least because we don't know the source of the image, what could be bundled with it, or what drivers were installed, if any and what problems could have been introduced then.

    We have offered to install the Windows OS correctly for the Customer, which would require the Customer to purchase a legitimate OS license from Clouvider. Customer is not interested in this resolution however, so given the service functions correctly we have exhausted the support track available for this self-managed dedicated server service.

    Wonder , what magic do you have in your Windows OS , i downloaded trial version directly from Microsoft site and installed. have you modified it for 10Gbps?
    i think it is something port issue if i m not wrong and you can fix it if you want ,
    atleast tell me what kind of drivers i need to install for 10Gbps

  • identify your network card brand/model and just download most recent version of driver for it from its manufacturer website

    it is not uncommon that Windows inbox drivers are far from optimal

Sign In or Register to comment.