Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When you develop your site/service what you will prefer to use: LAMP or MERN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

When you develop your site/service what you will prefer to use: LAMP or MERN?

rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

I created my first site on Perl and Posgress in about 2000-2001 year. It was e-showcase with prices for over 1000ed computer components. Then i learned PHP and MySQL and use for next my sites LAMP. Then i switched to CMS because i leaved coding. But i could see that many web application now developed using MERN. So i guess some templates to simple run MERN on VPS/Dedi might be useful. What you think?

What would you prefer to develop a web application?
  1. Traditional LAMP using CMS or coding stacks like MERN?35 votes
    1. LAMP
      62.86%
    2. MERN
      11.43%
    3. Other (please describe more in comments)
      25.71%

Comments

• AprilcloudAprilcloud Barred
    edited October 2021

linux (debian) + nginx +PHP + mariaDB + redis + wordpress

Ten minutes to build a website

LNPM

• i develop my websites with PMS

• I have nginx or apache 2 running in the front and reverse proxy to actual web app (mostly coded in Python) . Just personal stuff for fun so no problem so far.

• zhizhi Member

alpine + caddy + php8 + typecho

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • bdlbdl Member

Jamstack B)

• I use whatever is suitable for the job.
    Sometimes it's LAMP, sometimes it might be some BSD with nginx or whatever, sometimes it's MERN/MEAN/Jamstack or whatever the buzzword of the day is.

If you chose the same tools regardless of the task you are a fool.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Nginx, Debian, PHP 8. I try to avoid DBs where able. Company site is a basic CMS I wrote, no DB required.

• Well... How do you even compare LEMP and MERN?
    First is back/fullstack including OS, second is front/fullstack without OS.

For me its:

Linux + Nginx + PostgreSQL + .NET 5/C#
    LNPN stack

PostgreSQL + ExpressJS + Vue + NodeJS
    PEVN stack

I would rather say vue+.net+psql instead.

• Stay with perl. You will be safe.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@bdl said:
    Jamstack B)

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

@AXYZE said:
    Well... How do you even compare LEMP and MERN?
    First is back/fullstack including OS, second is front/fullstack without OS.

For me its:

Linux + Nginx + PostgreSQL + .NET 5/C#
    LNPN stack

PostgreSQL + ExpressJS + Vue + NodeJS
    PEVN stack

I would rather say vue+.net+psql instead.

If i wrote AMP that would be less clean for understanding:) But you are right - correct question would be AMP or MERN or other stacks.

Actually, i just seen on some chat answer to post: "i code site on PHP" with lot of recommendation to topic starter forgot PHP and use MERN. Would not like begin holivare here, i interesting in modern trends.

• Clean Code.

• Is this the famous PHP+Mongo+SQL?

• I've been using various stacks in my day jobs, but now primarily on Ruby/Rails+PgSQL+Tailwinds+Turbolinks(Or Vue)

Thanked by 1rustelekom
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited October 2021

My newer sites are using Preact + NDNts or RE:DOM + NDNts.

I don't use ExpressJS because it cannot properly support async functions.
    In its place, I have Koa or Fastify, chosen randomly.

Data storage uses NDN repository, which is usually based on LevelDB.
    Yeah, the push-ups are ultimately stored in the repository / database, not as files.

Thanked by 1rustelekom
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

So the thing with current-day "stacks" is that MERN, Jamstack etc. are all basically marketing exercises (to hype up MongoDB and Netlify respectively, in these cases) rather than genuine sensible technical options. It's just companies trying to bank on the historical fame of LAMP to sell more services.

If you're going to be using Node.js, for starters, the whole concept of a 'stack' goes out of the window - "stacks" are a workaround for getting a set of known-compatible tools/dependencies that you can be assured will work together, and it's a result of rather lacking dependency ecosystems. The workaround makes sense in those ecosystems; you lose flexibility, but get to avoid dependency conflicts in exchange.

But JS doesn't have such a broken ecosystem - the JS ecosystem is highly interoperable, so you can basically just assume that any given two tools will work together, which eliminates the purpose of a pre-defined stack altogether; it's a workaround for a problem that JS simply doesn't have to begin with.

In other languages the situation is usually more nuanced, but the basic point isn't that different - a pre-defined "stack" is a very specific workaround for a very specific problem, not some fundamental law of programming, there is no such thing as a 'best' or 'perfect' stack because different projects have different requirements, and a hosting environment shouldn't be designed for one specific collection of tools and dependencies either.

(All this is leaving aside that MongoDB itself is terrible, and should realistically never actually be used for anything)

• 1nf1nf Member

Supabase + SvelteKit + Tailwind or FastAPI + SvelteKit + Tailwind

Thanked by 1rustelekom
  • Php 7.4 + lsphp(openlitespeed) + mariadb + redis/memcache + wordpress

and mariadb/mysqld eating cpu, all the time

Thanked by 2rustelekom WebGex
  • rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

@fayaz90 said:
    Php 7.4 + lsphp(openlitespeed) + mariadb + redis/memcache + wordpress

WordPress unfortunately is not so "light" as it can be. Database usage is big enough.

• @rustelekom said:

@fayaz90 said:

WordPress unfortunately is not so "light" as it can be. Database usage is big enough.

right, even consume all the cpu, with redis database module/cache

• @joepie91 said:
    (All this is leaving aside that MongoDB itself is terrible, and should realistically never actually be used for anything)

MongoDB can rot in hell. I've heard horror stories of Mongo just discarding random documents during replication.

I prefer Flask for most tasks since with gevent its not all that bad performance wise for server-side rendered apps.

Writing APIs, I use Fastify + MySQL. GraphQL is a plague.

I don't know why so many people use Postgres, 99% of apps don't need the advanced features and the fork based connection model is not great.

Thanked by 1rustelekom
  • @fayaz90 said:

Exactly my setup, do you think it's too soon to switch to PHP 8?
    I heard good things about it.

Thanked by 1rustelekom
  • When the server hardware is sufficient, I will prefer to use WAMP😆

Thanked by 1rustelekom
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2021

MAMP on the Hetzner M1 Mac Minis