Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newsserver / Usenet provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Newsserver / Usenet provider

Hello let!

What usenet providers do you use and suggest?
Im looking for some good anualy deal, with good bandwith ( 80mbit ) and much traffic ( 10 TB/year ).

Found that offers with nice condition, but would like to hear your experience.

5tb blockaccount till Blick Friday 2021 5$
https://members.newsdemon.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=2021540009

2,99€ anualy peice unlimited access
https://signup.easynews.com/july-4th-exclusive-deal-2020

I think waiting for blackfriday would be good, but i need now acces. The cost of my old account increase about 100% ( now 90$ year ).

Would love to See some lowend offers!

Comments

• I've got a fantastic deal via newshosting.com that I picked up last black friday, $20 for the year unlimited downloads and includes Privado VPN. Not had a single issue with it :)

• Get a block now so it'll tide you over to BF

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited October 2021

Choose 2 colors and max possible retention days for 100% coverage on whatever you search for.

Of course you need good indexers like omgwtfnzbs and NzbPlanet

Otherwise 1 color and IPTorrents as generic backup for sonarr/radarr.

• that_guythat_guy Member
    edited October 2021

Head over to https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/ and read around. All the info you need, and current deals. If you really only want to use 1 provider, eweka might be a good choice. But I don't know if they have US servers too.

To fill the gap till black friday, you could also get a block account, or simply a monthly flatrate.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • lanefulanefu Member
    edited October 2021

Check out easynews..... Which you mentioned in OP. Doh

• thagoatthagoat Member
    edited October 2021

[Frugal Usenet]https://frugalusenet.com/), $50 usd for a year of access, 4700 days of retention, 100 connections

Thanked by 1skorous
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

FrugalUsenet but can be found for $40/year.
    Otherwise there is an Eweka deal around, €36/year or get the Easynews one.
    Prices probably won't do down much more during Black Friday but if you feel like waiting, get the Newsdemon $5 deal (also good to try them out so that you know if you want to get them at BF).

• fDylanfDylan Member
    edited October 2021

I have had great coverage for cheap with newsgroup.ninja + omgwtfnzbs / Nzbfinder.ws
    Also this is not 5TB from NewsDemon, it's 50TB for $5 (Expires 11-26-2021) which makes this a much worse deal

• @stefeman said:
    Choose 2 colors and max possible retention days for 100% coverage on whatever you search for.

Of course you need good indexers like omgwtfnzbs and NzbPlanet

Otherwise 1 color and IPTorrents as generic backup for sonarr/radarr.

newsgroup ninja seems to be ripping off the golang mascot. Weird, erh?

• How would one of these accounts compare to, for example, the now defunct TV Underground web site in terms of variety of content?

• I'm using easynews $36/y + theCubeNet 5TB/$25 (no expire date) + NewsDemon 1TB/$7 (no expire date). Never had missed article with easynews tho.

• is usenet / newsserver like a service where you get articles for a news website ?

• @neverain said:
    is usenet / newsserver like a service where you get articles for a news website ?

It used to be back in the day. A forerunner of blogs/forums/newsfeeds etc. before the www came to dominate.

Today it's used almost exclusively for disseminating binary media files like TV shows, usually without permission.

• I have a subscription with frugalusenet since January 2020. I pay $2,99 per month (special promotion). Very satisfied so far. I can recommend.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • Tr33nTr33n Member
    edited October 2021

I had a Giganews account years ago. When I needed access again for a month some time ago, I used Eweka. Can't say anything bad about either, worked as expected.

If I would need Usenet access again, I would probably use Eweka again because the website appeals to me better than Giganews. Technically, I don't think there are that many differences between the providers (except the speed limit).

• BBTNBBTN Member
    edited October 2021

@alegeek said:
    I've got a fantastic deal via newshosting.com that I picked up last black friday, $20 for the year unlimited downloads and includes Privado VPN. Not had a single issue with it :)

Fetched the same offer. I hope they'll repeat that one this bf. :)

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited October 2021

@sanvit said: theCubeNet 5TB/$25

Just keep in mind that theCubeNet switched to a different backend provider (from Omicron to UsenetExpress) in March 2021. UsenetExpress is significantly worse for older content (say more than 1000 days old). IMO you really want at least one Omicron-powered provider especially if you're looking for older content.

@stefeman said: Choose 2 colors and max possible retention days for 100% coverage on whatever you search for.

The tree you linked to is an old version. Here's the newest version I know of, just updated last month: https://svgshare.com/i/aHL.svg. It's maintained by people in the Usenet subreddit.

Thanked by 2sanvit stefeman
  • @Daniel15 said: UsenetExpress is significantly worse for older content (say more than 1000 days old). IMO you really want at least one Omicron-powered provider especially if you're looking for older content

It's not a wholly unfair criticism ( though I'm often surprised with how well my ND does on things up to ~1500d ). As long as you aren't planning to download huge amounts of really old content it's one generally remedied with a block to fill in. I've never seen the point of multiple Omicron subs but maybe I've been lucky.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited October 2021

Im using usenetserver.com (Omricon) + nzbplanet myself as primary and IPTorrents as secondary for sonarr/radarr. It finds 95% of the stuff from Usenet and its super fast, almost instant since its encrypted direct download, and the remaining 5% it cannot find from primary source, it finds from secondary source.

2 Different usenets are just fine too, theres not really need to use torrents as secondary like I do.

edited October 2021

@skorous said:

@Daniel15 said: UsenetExpress is significantly worse for older content (say more than 1000 days old). IMO you really want at least one Omicron-powered provider especially if you're looking for older content

As long as you aren't planning to download huge amounts of really old content it's one generally remedied with a block to fill in.

I was downloading some older music that I legally own... I've got them on CDs in storage back in Australia but I'm currently living in the USA so I can't easily get them to re-rip, and my own rips are quite old and only in 128kbps MP3s as I didn't have a lot of hard drive space back then. Some of these were on Usenet but the posts were 10+ years (3650+ days) old, and I only really had luck with Omicron resellers like BlockNews and Astraweb. UsenetFarm and UsenetExpress backends just don't have content that old.

Also I forgot to mention that the Usenet provider map/tree I linked to is in SVG format, so using the browser's search function works!

• I just tested easynews and this service isn't comparable with eweka or newshosting. (All these provider are using omicron backbone)

easynews is missing lots of articles and they claim to offer 60 connections but my log was full of error messages using 60 connections. I'm now down at 40.

I can't recommend easynews.

edited October 2021

@xauser said: they claim to offer 60 connections but my log was full of error messages using 60 connections. I'm now down at 40.

If you have a fast internet connection, using that many connections can actually slow things down because they're essentially all competing for bandwidth over the same connection. See how fast you can download on one connection and then only use the number of connections actually required to max your internet speed (eg if you have gigabit internet and one connection goes at 50 Mb/s, you only really need 20 connections) :smile:

Thanked by 2dahartigan skorous
  • I just found https://test.xsnews.com/ which is actually free with some limits:

10 Mbit
    10 Connections
    No posting
    No account sharing

Seems fair to me, I just signed up and added it as a secondary server alongside my newsgroupdirect - it might come in handy, I'll probably never know, but it's free and took less than a minute to set up.

Thanked by 1CoastHosting
  • @dahartigan said:
    I just found https://test.xsnews.com/ which is actually free with some limits:

10 Mbit
    10 Connections
    No posting
    No account sharing

Seems fair to me, I just signed up and added it as a secondary server alongside my newsgroupdirect - it might come in handy, I'll probably never know, but it's free and took less than a minute to set up.

Thanks for sharing this. I use this service for now, too. But its way to slow for my purpose. Notice that you have a 25gb monthly bandwith limit. RIP hitnews trial

Thanked by 1dahartigan