Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Installing Windows on a bare metal server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Installing Windows on a bare metal server

I've been using a CentOS dedi from Clouvider for the past year but recently decided to switch to Windows. The problem I've been experiencing is that I can't seem to get the internet connection working. Previously I've successfully installed Windows on KVM VPSes without any issues but despite following multiple tutorials I still end up with a 169.254.x.x address. Has anyone else tried installing Windows on Clouvider's dedis? I'm currently running on Windows Server 2022.

Comments

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

They may not have dhcp enabled.
    Set your ip to static.

Thanked by 1BigDongLong
  • @BigDongLong said:
    I've been using a CentOS dedi from Clouvider for the past year but recently decided to switch to Windows. The problem I've been experiencing is that I can't seem to get the internet connection working. Previously I've successfully installed Windows on KVM VPSes without any issues but despite following multiple tutorials I still end up with a 169.254.x.x address. Has anyone else tried installing Windows on Clouvider's dedis? I'm currently running on Windows Server 2022.

Config network:
    your ip/25

• The issue was that they didn't provide DHCP.

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • @BigDongLong said:
    The issue was that they didn't provide DHCP.

A server should almost NEVER use DHCP and should be configured with a static IP.

• @TimboJones said:

@BigDongLong said:

A server should almost NEVER use DHCP and should be configured with a static IP.

More importantly, a server should NEVER run Windows.

Thanked by 2WSWD brejski
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Side note: How long is your dong?

• @dahartigan said:

@TimboJones said:

@BigDongLong said:

More importantly, a server should NEVER run Windows.

If there's a more convenient way to compile C++ applications on Windows for Linux use I would have stayed with CentOS.

@PieHasBeenEaten said:
    Side note: How long is your dong?