Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare response time - OVH/KimSufi vs Hetzner (dedi)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare response time - OVH/KimSufi vs Hetzner (dedi)

Does anyone have data or an opinion based on experience of which of these two will respond the fastest via Cloudflare?

Currently on KimSufi and im very happy, but I'm outgrowing the server somewhat and there is no upgrade path, without moving to SYS/OVH. Because of the budget increase, it makes sense to look at Hetzner, but I have no idea if they would be better or worse than OVH with regard to CF peerage.

Another attraction to hetzner is support is supposedly better (anything would be better than OVH though ime), except for ddos issues.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

https://mtr.sh/ should answer your question pretty much.

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member
    edited September 2021

It won't differ much if your audience and origin sit both close to Cloudflare's private backbone and to each other. In addition, both OVH and Hetzner can exchange traffic over patch cables with Cloudflare where they are physically present in a facility (can be direct peering or IXP), and so can a last-mile residential ISP. I am sure about Hetzner and OVH, but not your ISP. Anything else flows all the way through transits, if you are not on Smart Routing, Orpheus, or Tiered Caching (which is made free to use recently).

More read:
    https://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-backbone-internet-fast-lane/
    https://blog.cloudflare.com/orpheus/

Thanked by 3AXYZE Adam1 malikshi
  • @0xbkt said:
    It won't differ much if your audience and origin sit both close to Cloudflare's private backbone and to each other.

Sorry, I missed that information out - the audience is 10% UK residential and 60% googlebot and 25% bingbot.

• Both OVH and Hetzner have private connections to Cloudflare, but as @0xbkt said, it's up to your client's ISP connection to Cloudflare.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

soyoustart if you need good ddos protection
    hetzner if you want best price to performance

which kimsufi server are you using?

• @bruh21 said: which kimsufi server are you using?

I'm using a KS-9. It's been excellent but I'm running out RAM (12GB mysql table) and iops. other than that it's been excellent. It's possible I could sort out my issues (iops when running mysql dump) but I just dont have the knowledge unfortunately. I know that a modern nvme drive is going to make the difference though compared to the old smasung drives in the KS-9.

My main concern when moving is response time for CF, which in turn affects serps. Currently exceeding 500k indexed pages (html)/24Hrs google, 200k bing.

• @nanankcornering said: Both OVH and Hetzner have private connections to Cloudflare, but as @0xbkt said, it's up to your client's ISP connection to Cloudflare.

But wouldnt a UK residential ISP connect to CF's UK nodes, then the routing is up to CF to either OVH / Hetzner? thats the part im wondering about.

• @Adam1 said:

@bruh21 said: which kimsufi server are you using?

12GB mysql table

God damn lol

• edited September 2021

@Adam1 said: then the routing is up to CF to either OVH / Hetzner?

That's true. But it's still within Europe, so routing is more or less the same. Unless you're dealing with clients from Australia, or Asia, or US, then you need to compare performance from both hosts