Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accessing the famous Low End Talk helpdesk (OneProvider help needed)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Accessing the famous Low End Talk helpdesk (OneProvider help needed)

risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I think this might be the first time actually asking for LET support help and happy to say that I feel comfortable enough to ask for help here (didn't need to lower my pride too much lol j/k). Anyways, briefly, ordered a server from OneProvider in Canada (OVH dc it seems). Attempted to use the automated install to get Ubuntu 20 LTS installed by entering my desired root password and did the necessary partitioning. It says everything is installed and I can SSH but it's not accepting the root password I set. I did it about 3 times foolishly thinking it would somehow fix itself - nope.

Performed a rescue and forced a new password by mounting the drive and using passwd and gdarn thing still doesn't work so I'm a bit stumped!

Anyone had this experience and/or know how to resolve? Support is ... well... as you guessed it, far from responsive to my liking but I know there must be a hero lurking in here that might have a solution (other than telling me to switch providers lol).

So...... somebody... anybody (drama-tized in LET style).... HELP!!!!????

Thanks!

Comments

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

And so it seems that Ubuntu 18 LTS works when I did the reinstall so it looks like a bug of some sort when installing Ubuntu 20 sighs

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I wonder if it uses a different account besides root for that image and they just never mentioned it? If so I'd bet on ubuntu being the username.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • I'm not sure but I think the newer distributions disable root password logins via SSH. You may have to either enable/edit/add PermitRootLogin yes in your /etc/ssh/sshd_config file or better why don't you put in your SSH key and login that way - it's anyway safer.

Thanked by 2risharde Tony40
  • Tony40Tony40 Member
    edited September 2021

In Ubuntu Linux the root user account is disabled by default for security reasons ....

https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-enable-and-disable-root-user-account-in-ubuntu/

Thanked by 1risharde