Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you expect from managed?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you expect from managed?

Hello folks,

Regardless of price, what would you expect / want under managed service? This can range from managing your cPanel server to runnig apt-get upgrade for you :-P

Let the community know!

Comments

• Managed ? Cheap ?

No way I would trust my data.

• @alexvolk said:
    Managed ? Cheap ?

No way I would trust my data.

Doesn't need to be cheap, just polling what would you expect, name your own example comapany or VPS specs and price if you want

• apply OS and (non-custom-installed) App updates as necessary
    • detect outages and mitigate (reboot, identify cause, etc)
    • provide failover capabilities (via DNS, or warm-standby instances, etc)
    • produce uptime and utilization graphs, possibly in a monthly report.
    • perform routine tests (i.e. recovery from reboot, failover, ddos, etc)
  • @c0y said:
    Doesn't need to be cheap, just polling what would you expect, name your own example comapany or VPS specs and price if you want

Sure, KnowHost for example:

Knownhost provides managed support for all system aspects listed below:

• Free installation of the cPanel, Plesk or DirectAdmin control panel is done during VPS provisioning;
    • Free control panel and OS optimization is done during provisioning. General optimization is suitable in 99% of use cases;
    • Free initial security hardening;
    • Free initial accounts migration from remote system with the same control panel;
    • Management of all aspects of the operating system, assistance and troubleshooting
    • of any problems related to operating system and standard control panel components;
    • Best-effort support for 3rd party applications.
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

What @alexvolk described is what most hosts will offer when they advertise 'managed' services. Regardless, each hosting company is different and if you're paying for management services then you should ask your host exactly what they provide before you sign up.

• Not sure, since i manage all my own server. How about provider tell us what they provide with managed service.

• what i expect? all the monitering in the world dont matter, what i expect is you keep my ish! up so downtimes at a bare minnimum...

• Managed means keep the thing up and keep it up to date. Simple. All the rest is not managing a server but system administration, which is a whole different thing.