Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you check for performance with Reseller/Shared Hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you check for performance with Reseller/Shared Hosting?

Hi,
As a customer, how and what do you check for performance for reseller/shared hosting?

Regards.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Don't. Use your eyes. If things load within a sec, it's good enough.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@deank said:

usually you'll notice when things are too slow

Thanked by 1ChaoscripT
  • @deank said:

Haha true. Some think it's the provider's server causing the site to load slowly, but 99% of the time, the customers' websites are not optimised. Optimise the website as good as possible, and you'll find different servers don't make much difference at all unless the server is highly overloaded.

Thanked by 1ChaoscripT
  • You kind of "grow an eye" for this after using more than one company/shared hosting package.

I always try to ask for their account limitations (CPU, RAM, etc) and then check if I can see the server info in cPanel (under the name, top right menu)

You could also use something like this https://github.com/vanilla-php/benchmark-php and compare your hosting packages (if you have more than one, hopefully)

Thanked by 1ChaoscripT
  • Thanks all for the answers.

Regards.

• page should load in less than 500 ms.
    that's fast.

• You can't check the performance. If the hosting package have some decent limitation it should be OK. The ONLY thing that is making your site to load slow comes from the installed plugins and theme.

• I have a client site(news portal) in WP which has 1000+ posts every month. The archived posts from year 2017 are available in a widget. If the hosting is good, it will show every posts from 2017 when I click on the + button. In HM shared hosting, it wasn't showing. But in NB @seriesn , its loading without any problem. Also if you have lot of tags, try to click on a tag and watch the time taken for posts to load.

Thanked by 2ChaoscripT JasonM
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@seriesn is prem