Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get Paypal to donate the non refundable fees!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Get Paypal to donate the non refundable fees!

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep
edited September 2021 in General

This may not be news to all, but it may be news to some.

A while back, Paypal used to refund all the fees when you refunded payments. They changed this to refund the % portion, but not the fixed portion. So meaning each transaction would cost at least $0.35, or whatever it was.

Apparently since 2019, Paypal stopped refunding the % portion too. Something I only discovered yesterday, when I received a payment of >$25K. I immediately refunded, only to find the $1.2K in fees was NOT refunded.

Paypal flat out refused to refund any portion of the fees at first. After some hours on the phone, they gradually started to offer small token amounts of the fees back. This was not to my liking.

This morning, I asked them to donate the money to charity. I told them that I would donate $2K to the ST Jude Children's Hospital if they refund me my ~$1.2K.

To my surprise, they actually agreed! Sort of. I received ~$7xx in the form of vouchers and $3xx in direct credit.

True to my word, I immediately made the donation of $2K.

So... I may be pissed that Paypal can so easily get away with cheating their merchants. But at least this time it's going towards a hospital that researches and treats kids with cancer.

I may be $2k poorer... but at least I don't feel shitty about it.

Try this, the next time you want to dispute anything with Paypal.

Comments

• Hm, this looks like good way to launder some dollars?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

They sent an email about this change to T&Cs and it was discussed at length over here. This surely shouldn't come as a surprise?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

the terms and conditions are changed I think last year, so no surprised here.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • It's a PayPal scam to scam the mjjs

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said: They sent an email about this change to T&Cs and it was discussed at length over here. This surely shouldn't come as a surprise?

And yet.. it did come as a surprise. In any case.. it is mind blowing to think that someone else can send you money, and you become liable for all potential charges and expenses. Meaning the merchant is now solely responsible for all costs associated with 3rd party mistakes or even malicious intent.

Point being, if you don't mind parting with your cash, you may be able to get Paypal to part with it too. Just pick a charitable cause to direct the money to!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Better to gradually move off PayPal. Providers should do an experiment, provide the same deal twice, with one being a bit cheaper, but no PayPal support. And take a look at how many clients are ready to abandon PayPal for a bit of savings. With virtual debit cards or other payment processors quite readily available these days, there should be no need for PayPal anymore, at least when paying for hosting services. And it's not mandatory on eBay anymore either.

Thanked by 3randvegeta adly Trav
  • @rm_ said:
    Better to gradually move off PayPal. Providers should do an experiment, provide the same deal twice, with one being a bit cheaper, but no PayPal support. And take a look at how many clients are ready to abandon PayPal for a bit of savings. With virtual debit cards or other payment processors quite readily available these days, there should be no need for PayPal anymore, at least when paying for hosting services. And it's not mandatory on eBay anymore either.

I think it's against paypal terms to do preferential pricing

Thanked by 1bulbasaur

@rm_ said:

Yes. Actually it's not so much the fees that bother me, but the fact that sellers get ZERO protection.

Still.. dealing with chargebacks and disputes is a cost that actually is covered by all your clients who don't bother you with that shit. So if you can get them to use a payment method that doesn't incur that risk, then in theory your overall costs reduce, which can be passed onto the customers.

But this risk still exists with all credit card gateways. So unless you can get customers to pay only using bank transfer or crypto, you're still subject to this kind of risk.

Still.. it may be worth pursuing.

@cybertech said:

@rm_ said:

There's a relatively simple workaround.

• @randvegeta said:

@cybertech said:

@rm_ said:

cupon?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2021

@cybertech said: I think it's against paypal terms to do preferential pricing

You can market them as different products or even space them apart in time, i.e. this week "Apple VPS" is on sale, 1GB RAM 20GB disk, next week "Orange VPS" is on sale, 1GB RAM 20GB disk, oh and no PayPal on that one.

Or sold at the same time, but the no-PayPal package is not only cheaper, but also includes 1GB more disk space, clearly a different product. Thinking about it further, could even consider selling both at the same price, but the no-PayPal one having a bit better specs overall.

@cybertech said:

@randvegeta said:

@cybertech said:

@rm_ said:

cupon?

First of all... a good portion of retailers online that accept Paypal, actually do charge a surcharge for using Paypal. So even if it is against the rules... Paypal don't seem to be doing much about it.

You could also issue coupons to people who don't pay with paypal.

You can list duplicate products which are not available by Paypal.

You can sell coupons on an alternate website where you can only pay for those coupons by bank transfer or crypto or whatever.

So if you have a server for $100, which you CAN pay with Paypal. You can sell a $100 coupon for... $90 for example, but that $100 coupon cannot be purchased with Paypal. Pretty sure Paypal can't stop you from issuing coupons and having 3rd parties sell those coupons.

@cybertech said:

@randvegeta said:

@cybertech said:

@rm_ said:

cupon?

The best workaround of the PayPal is stop accepting it, as they do increase transaction fees almost every year now and zero support in regarding the chargebacks or anything else.

• Only scammers don't accept PayPal

@dahartigan said:
    Only scammers don't accept PayPal

The PayPal is not centre of universe and majority of scammers do use PayPal and use fake names which are so obvious to detect.

Thanked by 1tomazu
  • tomazutomazu Member, Host Rep

@dahartigan said:
    Only scammers don't accept PayPal

this simply is not true - at least not anymore in 2021.

It is not only that you have very little protection as a seller, that fees are getting higher and higher and that refunds are prohibitively costly now on PayPal, but the fact that you have to invest a lot of time to fight the fake names, fraudulent orders and disputes even after months PayPal allows on its platform.

I do not see such problems e. g. when using Stripe.

Thanked by 3bulbasaur kheng86 adly
  • I got two words: Fuck PayPal!

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • Payoneer upcoming to burn your ass holes.

@randvegeta said:

@cybertech said:

@randvegeta said:

@cybertech said:

@rm_ said:

cupon?

First of all... a good portion of retailers online that accept Paypal, actually do charge a surcharge for using Paypal. So even if it is against the rules... Paypal don't seem to be doing much about it.

You could also issue coupons to people who don't pay with paypal.

You can list duplicate products which are not available by Paypal.

You can sell coupons on an alternate website where you can only pay for those coupons by bank transfer or crypto or whatever.

So if you have a server for $100, which you CAN pay with Paypal. You can sell a $100 coupon for... $90 for example, but that $100 coupon cannot be purchased with Paypal. Pretty sure Paypal can't stop you from issuing coupons and having 3rd parties sell those coupons.

In retrospect, it would seem like a better idea to remove Paypal from the main website/billing system, and then have a separate website where you sell coupons, at a premium, that does accept Paypal, where you have a completely different set of rules and restrictions.

For example, the payments would be 'donations', where you get a free gift coupon as thanks.

I.e. Donate $110 to and get a $100 coupon for free!. Then stipulate that at least 9% of the proceeds go to charity (and to not be an arsehole, actually make it so). It would then become extremely difficult for the buyer (doner) to file any sort of claim. And for customers who WANT to pay with Paypal... they might not feel quite so shitty about paying a 10% premium, when that extra 10% of fees is going to some charitable cause.

• Just refund buyer amount minus PayPal fees. Just advice buyer before buy about if they request refund PayPal fees being deducted. For electronically shipped goods that will be easy.

@jenkki said:
    Just refund buyer amount minus PayPal fees. Just advice buyer before buy about if they request refund PayPal fees being deducted. For electronically shipped goods that will be easy.

Indeed. Will update our entire refund policy across the board.

• @randvegeta said: Will update our entire refund policy across the board.

That also prevent a fraud and those who buy and request refund after short time.

edited September 2021

@jenkki said:
    Just refund buyer amount minus PayPal fees. Just advice buyer before buy about if they request refund PayPal fees being deducted. For electronically shipped goods that will be easy.

I don’t think the Visa and MasterCard and other payment cards will agree with term of “full refund” with extraction of processing fee.

Thanked by 1adly
  • @WebProject said: I don’t think the Visa and MasterCard and other payment cards will agree with term of “full refund” with extraction of processing fee.

Talking about refunds from balance on PayPal. When you get paid you get money into your balance. Do not withdraw full of them. PayPal has a option for partially refund to buyer from balance

@jenkki said:

@WebProject said: I don’t think the Visa and MasterCard and other payment cards will agree with term of “full refund” with extraction of processing fee.

Talking about refunds from balance on PayPal. When you get paid you get money into your balance. Do not withdraw full of them. PayPal has a option for partially refund to buyer from balance

I am talking if customer paid using card and let’s say changed his mind within 14/30 days so entitled for a full refund, but customer get a refund minus processing fee - so any card payment dispute will be honoured to customer and I personally 100% agree with that as it’s not right to customers to deduct from such case any processing fee due to PayPal mess.

Thanked by 1adly
  • jenkkijenkki Member
    edited September 2021

@WebProject said: I am talking if customer paid using card and let’s say changed his mind within 14/30 days so entitled for a full refund, but customer get a refund minus processing fee - so any card payment dispute will be honoured to customer and I personally 100% agree with that as it’s not right to customers to deduct from such case any processing fee due to PayPal mess.

All Credit card payments going to seller PayPal balance. Not a CC to CC There no such a problem to release partial refund from balance. And if your buyer pay by CC they take a risk for further processing their refund if they request it. There a buyer troubles how they get their refund. Pay from balance to balance and you will be more safe.

• @rm_ said:

Is there a convenient way to receive credit card payments? I think paypal is just too expensive. Really

• @wicker said: Is there a convenient way to receive credit card payments?

>
    I recommend becoming a credit card to become one of the credit. ;^)

• @CheepCluck said:

@wicker said: Is there a convenient way to receive credit card payments?

>
    I recommend becoming a credit card to become one of the credit. ;^)

Well, it's a pain in the ass to process credit card international payment interfaces in China :s
    I had to use paypal for fund settlement