Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Objective review" - can you trust it? The truth, a *real* comparison and news - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"Objective review" - can you trust it? The truth, a *real* comparison and news

Comments

• JSG spends a lot of time in service to the community with all of his contributions. There should be some appreciation and respect for that even if you disagree with the methods.

This is your opinion, not expressed by all members of the LowEndTalk community. You should be thankful to members of the community actively contributing to uphold the integrity of it's content.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Integrity is something this place has been missing for over a decade.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2021

@rogerwilco said:

JSG spends a lot of time in service to the community with all of his contributions. There should be some appreciation and respect for that even if you disagree with the methods.

This is your opinion, not expressed by all members of the LowEndTalk community. You should be thankful to members of the community actively contributing to uphold the integrity of it's content.

I'm sure that @jbiloh is grateful for that - if it happened that is. The point quite a few here seem to miss is that "I think that's BS!" is not "uphold the integrity of the community" - quite the contrary. It's just someones opinion and in quite a few cases with evident ill intentions.

You see, I would never utter an opinion, let alone consider my view called for, possibly even (trumpet please) for integrity, on say some graphics stuff. Simple reason: I may have some decades of experience as a software developer but I have none worth mention in e.g. the field of graphics.

But quite a few here feel it's OK if they not only provide an opinion but actually bash, smear, and trash-talk someone who actually designed and wrote a benchmark program without feeling any need whatsoever to ask themselves what their expertise is.

This here (as well as in the "objective review" thread) is not about integrity. This to a large degree is about a nasty witch hunt where largely unqualified people do not even read what I say before declaring it wrong.

Oh and btw, no, what you call just a single opinion is not that. It's the opinion of the man who invested a lot to keep this community alive and to breath new live into it and to make it grow.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • 👑

@SirFoxy said:
    👑

Fully agreed. But frankly, did you really have to lay it out in such detail? That's a lot to read and digest.

• Truth is a scam

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited September 2021

@jsg said: largely unqualified people do not even read

Sums up the issue with your reading comprehension as well as your evaluation of the arguments made on the thread.

I'm almost tempted to write another response to your gish gallop "arguments" like the "as basically admitted by the OP himself [he intended to attack jsg]", but all issues that had to be pointed out with vpsbench were already pointed out, and I have better things to do than respond to false accusations. (Though a response would however consist of your lack of reading comprehension, again.)

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    Gangnam Style
    Najeneun ddasarowun in-ganjeogin yeoja
    Keopi hanjaneui yeoyureul aneun pumgyeok ittneun yeoja
    Bami omyeon shimjangi ddeugeowojineun yeoja
    Geureon banjeon ittneun yeoja
    Naneun sanai
    Najeneun neomankeum ddasarowun geureon sanai
    Keopi shik-gido jeone One Shot ddaerineun sanai
    Bami omyeon shimjangi teojyeobeorineun sanai
    Geureon sanai
    Aremdawo sarangseurowo
    Geurae neo hey, geurae baro neo hey
    Areumdawo sarangseurowo
    Jigeumbuteo gal ddaekkaji gabolkka
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Gangnam style
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Gangnam style
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Eh Sexy Lady
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Eh Sexy Lady
    Eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh
    Jeongsokhae bo-ijiman nol ddaen noneun yeoja
    Iddaeda shipeumyeon mukkeottdeon meori puneun yeoja
    Garyeottjiman wenmanhan nochulboda yahan yeoja
    Geureon gangjakjeogin yeoja
    Naneun sanai
    Jeonjanha bo-ijiman nol ddaen noneun sanai
    Ddaega dweimyeon wanjeon michyeobeorineun sanai
    Geun-yukboda sasangi ultungbultung han sanai
    Geureon sanai
    Aremdawo sarangseurowo
    Areumdawo sarangseurowo
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Gangnam style
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Gangnam style
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Eh Sexy Lady
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Eh Sexy Lady
    Eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh
    Ttwineun nom geu wi-e naneun nom
    Baby baby
    Naneun mwol jom aneun nom
    Baby baby
    You know what I'm saying
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Eh Sexy Lady
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Eh Sexy Lady
    Oppan Gangnam style

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@stevewatson301 said:
    Sums up the issue with your reading comprehension as well as your evaluation of the arguments made on the thread.

Yeah, it's kinda interesting. For someone who loves to write essays as responses, he doesn't actually seem to read at all.

• can't you stop already? it's getting boring

Thanked by 1Andrews
  • @neverain said:
    Oppan Gangnam Style
    Gangnam Style
    Najeneun ddasarowun in-ganjeogin yeoja
    Keopi hanjaneui yeoyureul aneun pumgyeok ittneun yeoja
    Bami omyeon shimjangi ddeugeowojineun yeoja
    Geureon banjeon ittneun yeoja
    Naneun sanai
    Najeneun neomankeum ddasarowun geureon sanai
    Keopi shik-gido jeone One Shot ddaerineun sanai
    Bami omyeon shimjangi teojyeobeorineun sanai
    Geureon sanai
    Aremdawo sarangseurowo
    Areumdawo sarangseurowo
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Gangnam style
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Gangnam style
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Eh Sexy Lady
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Eh Sexy Lady
    Eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh
    Jeongsokhae bo-ijiman nol ddaen noneun yeoja
    Iddaeda shipeumyeon mukkeottdeon meori puneun yeoja
    Garyeottjiman wenmanhan nochulboda yahan yeoja
    Geureon gangjakjeogin yeoja
    Naneun sanai
    Jeonjanha bo-ijiman nol ddaen noneun sanai
    Ddaega dweimyeon wanjeon michyeobeorineun sanai
    Geun-yukboda sasangi ultungbultung han sanai
    Geureon sanai
    Aremdawo sarangseurowo
    Areumdawo sarangseurowo
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Gangnam style
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Gangnam style
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Eh Sexy Lady
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Eh Sexy Lady
    Eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh
    Baby baby
    Baby baby
    You know what I'm saying
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Eh Sexy Lady
    Oppan Gangnam style
    Eh Sexy Lady
    Oppan Gangnam style

what it is?

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited September 2021

@jsg said:

1. Write random is 100 times worse than read and doesn't strike you as odd? You're writing to cache! It shouldn't be slow!

But it is, just like with/very similar to dd.

whoosh then your drive is bad and your other drive is 12 years old on an original shitty controller. I still have Vertex 2, 3 and 4's, but no Vertex's.

1. you measured 1120 with the Vertex, over double the sata spec. It's double the drive's own specs. That is immediate red flag (for the millionth time)

How pathetic ("millionth time"). And: you are wrong. Because a read call does not necessarily go to the device/via Sata.

What the hell? You're supposed to be measuring the read and write speed of your sata drive. If data isn't going to/from the drive, YOU. ARE. DOING. IT. WRONG. It's literally called disk benchmarking.

And of bloody course you are totally biased (again) and mention only what fits your agenda. fio showing some reads to be much, much slower than writes.
    THAT is what really happens " for the millionth time". Whenever I address any of your "criticism" all I get is more of the same.

First, replying to your long ass post triggers cloudflare. That was already stated off the bat, FFS.

You don't write fio and fio didn't boast of fixing a problem. If the person who wrote fio started a thread, I'd happily ask questions and comment.

Also, fio gives numbers like 125MB/s and yours, 4.9MB/s. Jesus Christ, take your blinders off.

Where's the yabs?

Thanked by 1adly
  • @Falzo said:
    that still leaves me wondering why the difference between write and read speed is that large. and especially that random reads regularly achieve higher speeds than sequential ones even on HDD will never make sense to me. it feels a bit like if your read routine suffers from parallelism or something like that, while writes do not. just sayin' ... unprofessional personal opinion that is.

You're being too polite. In your head, you just know this is plain as day wrong. And the ignoring of this red flag and that measurements are higher than actual disk specs and data protocols should make you question if anything will be right. These are all things reported two years ago.

edited September 2021

FYI: I have indeed made an error - and that error was to ignore what my parents as well as some professors told me, and to anyway try to respond to and discuss with people who lack the needed understanding and/or plain and simple were driven by ill will and/or dislike.

I will not respond anymore to blunt lies, pulled out of thin air allegations, and other raging herd or gang products or to attempts to pull me down into what some here perceive to be "discussions". Feel free to call me "arrogant" but actually all your noise and emotions are of no significance to me nor do you have any right to demand anything from me.
    Example: alleging != "reporting".

If I wanted anything from you, which is not the case, I would need to meet your standards and if you want anything from me, including attention, you have to meet my standards, which most of the noisy gang sadly totally failed to achieve.

I will however respond to questions, requests, and criticism with some actual basis and brought forward politely and without evident ill will. In fact I've turned what little criticism with a factual basis I got into enhancements repeatedly and I thank those of you who supported me with their constructive and factually based criticism and polite requests; you have contributed to making the testing and reviews better.

"A few of you are incompetent or even plain stupid" != "everyone is stupid except me". Not even if the few make lots of noise.

• @TimboJones said:

@Falzo said:
    that still leaves me wondering why the difference between write and read speed is that large. and especially that random reads regularly achieve higher speeds than sequential ones even on HDD will never make sense to me. it feels a bit like if your read routine suffers from parallelism or something like that, while writes do not. just sayin' ... unprofessional personal opinion that is.

You're being too polite. In your head, you just know this is plain as day wrong. And the ignoring of this red flag and that measurements are higher than actual disk specs and data protocols should make you question if anything will be right. These are all things reported two years ago.

I know and I've been there. still tried to focus on the discbench stuff this time and stay in a positive state of criticism.
    for sure I'll have my drama and another fight with @jsg in another discussion again at some point (no offense meant ;-))

Thanked by 1jsg
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited September 2021

@jsg said:
    FYI: I have indeed made an error - and that error was to ignore what my parents as well as some professors told me, and to anyway try to respond to and discuss with people who lack the needed understanding and/or plain and simple were driven by ill will and/or dislike.

What are you even talking about? You're describing the problem in reverse. It's YOU who is severing lacking understanding and treating the reported issues with ill will. That's some Republican voodoo shit, do the things you claim the other guys are doing.

You haven't addressed the major issues, at all. You just attack the person reporting test results as if they're attacking you for no good reason. We don't know how to make this any clearer!!!

No explanation as to why you read and write above SATA standards and/or above disk specs. These are upper limit bottlenecks. You're basically doing the equivalent of reporting 8Gbps on 1Gbps Ethernet ports. Then you say shit like "Because a read call does not necessarily go to the device/via Sata". Is the fucking drive wireless? FFS.

No explanation why you consistently report higher random numbers than sequential numbers (especially for spinners). On SSD there's less difference because there's no seek penalty, but there's additional overhead penalties such that sequential should beat random nearly every time. It for sure should never have random murdering the sequential numbers for spinners. You've got random reads being 15x faster than sequential. That's BS. Where the fuck is that difference supposed to occur? The sectors or flash get read 15x faster? No.

No explanation for 100-500x differences between reads and writes. That's hardware defect, or your app is doing it wrong. Full.stop.

Tl;dr you blame caching at times and then blame lack of caching at other times, but clearly don't understand when you're failing to read any data from the drive itself.

The main problem reported is that your numbers do not represent any valid or useful numbers that reflect actual usage. All you keep doing is demonstrating that.

Do a real world test on the Seagate. Vsb reported 1-5MB/s writes. Do a real world write (copy an ISO or something) and tell us whether it was closer to 5MB/s or 100MB/s. It's really that simple.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@TimboJones said: First, replying to your long ass post triggers cloudflare. That was already stated off the bat, FFS.

You're such a stupid fuck. You come on here at the same time everyday to make your stupid moronic posts until you make your stupid ass encore 24 hours later. Get a life moron.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @Arkas said:

@TimboJones said: First, replying to your long ass post triggers cloudflare. That was already stated off the bat, FFS.

You're such a stupid fuck. You come on here at the same time everyday to make your stupid moronic posts until you make your stupid ass encore 24 hours later. Get a life moron.

Any comment about the concerns raised by @TimboJones?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@stevewatson301 said: Any comment about the concerns raised by @TimboJones?

You mean the concerns he made in between his stupid comments?
    No, I have no comment. I'm sure others do.

• @Arkas said:

@stevewatson301 said: Any comment about the concerns raised by @TimboJones?

You mean the concerns [...] No, I have no comment. I'm sure others do.

No wonder @jsg keeps liking your posts, because they're void of any useful purpose.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

I don't understand why this discussion can lasts for so long, this is the same as all those ads saying "Macbook M1 can lasts up to 17 hours for wireless web". But a lot of details are missing here, is it normal webpage with no animation? Is it a webpage with graphic intensive stuff? Is the Macbook fully new? Everyone have their own ruler, and their own way of measuring the performance.

What I am not happy is most of the time jsg doesn't even reply to the question, and just straight away using strong words like "No", "Wrong", "I don't need to explain". Yes you might be smart, but rather than typing a long paragraph to confuse people, explain concisely and being constructive is more helpful than showing your ego.

I don't care about whichever benchmark is more accurate, but the way you convey your message might need some improvements.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@stevewatson301 said: No wonder @jsg keeps liking your posts, because they're void of any useful purpose.

While that may be true, at least they are not endless rantings, borderline on obsessive posts attacking 1 member. Look in the mirror If you want to see a void.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited September 2021

@FAT32 said:
    I don't understand why this discussion can lasts for so long, this is the same as all those ads saying "Macbook M1 can lasts up to 17 hours for wireless web". But a lot of details are missing here, is it normal webpage with no animation? Is it a webpage with graphic intensive stuff? Is the Macbook fully new? Everyone have their own ruler, and their own way of measuring the performance.

What I am not happy is most of the time jsg doesn't even reply to the question, and just straight away using strong words like "No", "Wrong", "I don't need to explain". Yes you might be smart, but rather than typing a long paragraph to confuse people, explain concisely and being constructive is more helpful than showing your ego.

I don't care about whichever benchmark is more accurate, but the way you convey your message might need some improvements.

with the kindest of labels, i would term jsg as a beta narcissist. oxymoron but yeah thats what makes him truly unique and special.

was never about reviews , benchmarks ,developer and truth anyway. its seasonal. now we in the benching season.

• @FAT32 said: his is the same as all those ads saying "Macbook M1 can lasts up to 17 hours for wireless web". But a lot of details are missing here, is it normal webpage with no animation? Is it a webpage with graphic intensive stuff? Is the Macbook fully new? Everyone have their own ruler, and their own way of measuring the performance.

With disks, it's possible to use it in a way that maximizes its throughput. Every program that needs to work with large files takes such methods into consideration, and this is why the disk's I/O and throughput limits are relevant when discussing a benchmarking program.

With battery life, stuff is just too variable but that's the wrong comparison anyway. Disk benchmarking is similar to measuring the maximum power you can draw out of a battery at any given time, which might be useful when your CPU needs a lot of juice to power the compute intensive stuff you're doing. If I made an instrument that showed incorrect values for the maximum power drawn from a cell, you'd be right to complain about it.

• @stevewatson301 said: is similar to measuring the maximum power you can draw out of a battery at any given time

this is indeed an interesting analogy as maximum power also depends on two factors being voltage and current whereas disk speeds depend on iops and blocksize... also the reason why fio is run four times (but with different blocksize) in yabs to get a bigger picture.

so, the right context is important, best example you can find is if you look at one of the latest yabs/fio listing over in the contabo thread.
    you'll see something very strange where their disks seem to defy gravity by showing increasing IOps with growing blocksizes (while the opposite is very much expected).
    for sure this is not normal and only achievable by some artificial tampering or wrong balancing/limitations on the node.

TL;DR; which and whatever benchmark one uses, it's important to understand the scope and intentions of it and have a large enough pool of existing data to compare with and make sense of the results. the very same as with testing batteries, may it be for duration or maximum power.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited September 2021

@Falzo said: ..testing batteries..

That was one of my jobs, in the distant past. Freeze 'em, cook 'em, drain 'em, juice 'em, dissect 'em. ;)

Thanked by 2Falzo chocolateshirt
  • could you finally just stop spamming of this site by your endless walls of BS text??? it hurts our eyes

nobody will ever believe in a single word of yours as you are known romanian scam supporter and now producer of shady fake/pseudo "benchmark"

take yours meds and just stop
    plz