Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think about MySQL Cache?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you think about MySQL Cache?

Hi,
With one of my wordpress websites I see with Query Monitor plugin that query_cache_type is set to ON, from what I understand it's something that deprecated?

What do you think, it's good or bad to use it?

Regards.

Comments

• Its deprecated in MySQL and does not work in 8.x, it still works fine with MariaDB. Setting the query cache settings correctly (ok limits with enough breatheroom for it to grow) it could speed up your application by a bit. It also could cause a lot of headaches and issues, but mostly from what i’ve experienced with WP/Woocommerce sites it helps to shave a few % off

Thanked by 2ChaoscripT vimalware
  • @FoxelVox said:
    Its deprecated in MySQL and does not work in 8.x, it still works fine with MariaDB. Setting the query cache settings correctly (ok limits with enough breatheroom for it to grow) it could speed up your application by a bit. It also could cause a lot of headaches and issues, but mostly from what i’ve experienced with WP/Woocommerce sites it helps to shave a few % off

Thanks for reply,
    It's different from Object Cache?

Regards.

• @ChaoscripT said:

@FoxelVox said:
    Its deprecated in MySQL and does not work in 8.x, it still works fine with MariaDB. Setting the query cache settings correctly (ok limits with enough breatheroom for it to grow) it could speed up your application by a bit. It also could cause a lot of headaches and issues, but mostly from what i’ve experienced with WP/Woocommerce sites it helps to shave a few % off

Thanks for reply,
    It's different from Object Cache?

Regards.

Object caching is used to serve repeating queries more quickly, for example Redis or Memcached is a much used system that can do more efficient query caching for your cms. MySQL query cache is a bit slower and is officially not categorized as object cache, but moreso a caching layer built in the application because of some differences (its best to
    Google them, others can give more clear explanations than me).

• I do not like reasoning of MySQL to depreciate it - it offers non consistent performance - what they mean by "non consistent performance" that some times queries run super fast from the query cache but some times it runs non cached at normal speed so it is hard for the devops to predict how to scale the database or when ask the devs to optimize queries for the environment...

So the solution for them is run everything in normal speed and then scale with more hardware (cores) predictably or require rewrite of mysql queries by the devs ....

Reasoning is valid for single site site developed from a team ... Not for 200 different WP sites that run 200 different set of plugins written from different devs with a different level of knowledge of optimizing queries on a shared hosting

• For WordPress or WooCommerce, go with W3TC cache. And you can enable only one of those among these

1) Object Cache
    2) Database Cache

Enabling both of them will cause issues with WordPress. And I suggest going with Object Cache.

• @imgmoney said:
    For WordPress or WooCommerce, go with W3TC cache. And you can enable only one of those among these

1) Object Cache
    2) Database Cache

Enabling both of them will cause issues with WordPress. And I suggest going with Object Cache.

I use Redis / Memcached when available.

Regards.

• WP W3TC
    object cache ==> redis
    database cache ==> memcached

what do you think ?

• Enabling caching on WP alone can cause issues depending on the type of site