Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Performance comparison: Linode vs DigitalOcean vs UpCloud vs Hetzner vs Terrahost vs Scaleway
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Performance comparison: Linode vs DigitalOcean vs UpCloud vs Hetzner vs Terrahost vs Scaleway

Howdy. I have been testing and benchmarking some providers and I thought I'd share my results as they might be useful to someone. I have accounts with several providers so it was easy to create instances and run benchmarks. I have settled on Hetzner dedicated servers (AX41-NVME, no setup fee through September), but I saw interesting results in general.

Take a look if you are interested and are looking for a provider.

https://vitobotta.com/2021/09/10/disk-cpu-performance-linode-vs-digitalocean-vs-upcloud-vs-hetzner-vs-terrahost-vs-scaleway/

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited September 2021

It must have cost a lot to get these just for the review, unless you returned them. I am not surprised to see Hetzner in the lead, what is surprising is Terrahost, I did not see that coming. In Geekbench, Upcloud is doing pretty well.

• wow terrahost is miles ahead

• Terrahost has amazing performance as expected. The best choice if you run PHP apps and want something affordable (even 1 core 5950X will blow you away).

What I find interesting is meh I/O performance from UpCloud "proprietary MaxIOPS storage technology".

Hetzner still the best if you want hourly billing and cheap dedis.

• For some reasons, my k8s master node on 2 core 2 GB hetzner cloud often have issue. Not happened on InceptionHosting with same specs

• Thanks, very interesting.

• @AXYZE said:
    What I find interesting is meh I/O performance from UpCloud "proprietary MaxIOPS storage technology".

That was the biggest disappointment to be honest, given their claims. But I have to say that their support is fast. I had some questions and each time I was done in a few minutes with the 24/7 chat, so that's a plus.

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • @Arkas said:
    It must have cost a lot to get these just for the review, unless you returned them. I am not surprised to see Hetzner in the lead, what is surprising is Terrahost, I did not see that coming. In Geekbench, Upcloud is doing pretty well.

Yeah I returned them quite soon. I kept them just the time for some benchmarks and for testing with my real world app to see how it felt.

• @akhfa said:
    For some reasons, my k8s master node on 2 core 2 GB hetzner cloud often have issue. Not happened on InceptionHosting with same specs

I've been using K8s for 3 years and I don't think you can get far with a master with only 2GB. Are you using k3s or similar, or standard Kubernetes?

• Is Terrahost European?

• @coolgoole said:
    Is Terrahost European?

Yes, based in Norway.

• @terrahost any special offers?

• @vitobotta said:

@akhfa said:
    For some reasons, my k8s master node on 2 core 2 GB hetzner cloud often have issue. Not happened on InceptionHosting with same specs

I've been using K8s for 3 years and I don't think you can get far with a master with only 2GB. Are you using k3s or similar, or standard Kubernetes?

I use rancher kubernetes. Actually it just my lab with low usage, so minimum specs is doesnt matter. Just want to point out that somehow small hetzner cloud specs cannot handle the master node. I still love to use hetzner cloud, but for pretty high specs, I will choose the dedicated :smiley: