Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proton Mail has allegedly logged and shared IP address of activist with authorities - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proton Mail has allegedly logged and shared IP address of activist with authorities

13»

Comments

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited September 2021

Protonmail has always been misleading ignorants on security and encryption.

They also lie to their paid users when asked how they stealth filter messages. Eventually when there are too many evidences, they say they will change nothing and will keep their reliance on third parties.

Oh, and it's 2021 and none of their service is reachable via IPv6.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • M66BM66B Veteran
    edited September 2021

@jpeng said:
    so is there an alternative for protonmail?

As it is, they are not much different from Gmail, Outlook, etc.

I guess for real private email you'll need to run your own email server on a dedicated server you control yourself completely.

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • Anyone interested on distributed encrypted mail/message system? I mean there will be servers (also pc clients) called A,B,C and etc all those share every copy of encrypted mails, the only one with key can see the content of mail. Probably the same way usenet operates, but for mail/message... Just starting out an idea...

• @xrz said:
    Anyone interested on distributed encrypted mail/message system? I mean there will be servers (also pc clients) called A,B,C and etc all those share every copy of encrypted mails, the only one with key can see the content of mail. Probably the same way usenet operates, but for mail/message... Just starting out an idea...

good idea.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@M66B said: I guess for real private email you'll need to run your own email server

That is hardly "real private email". SMTP is a completely plain text protocol. Your emails travel along the Internet with zero encryption. You need to encrypt on the client before they are sent. So a "real private email" solution has nothing to do with the mail server.

@xrz said: Anyone interested on distributed encrypted mail/message system? I mean there will be servers (also pc clients) called A,B,C and etc all those share every copy of encrypted mails, the only one with key can see the content of mail. Probably the same way usenet operates, but for mail/message... Just starting out an idea...

Well, you could do that with USENET today or really any forum software.

Again, the technology to encrypt on the client exists - PGP and other products. It's making it convenient that is the trick.

• @raindog308 said:

@M66B said: I guess for real private email you'll need to run your own email server

That is hardly "real private email". SMTP is a completely plain text protocol. Your emails travel along the Internet with zero encryption. You need to encrypt on the client before they are sent. So a "real private email" solution has nothing to do with the mail server.

Absolutely true and actually that is pretty odd, isn't it? You'll need either PGP or S/MIME end-to-end encryption and if used, the email provider matters less.

BTW, I am the author of FairEmail, which provides both encryption methods ;-)

Thanked by 2JasonM Cabbage
  • @raindog308 said: Well, you could do that with USENET today or really any forum software.

Again, the technology to encrypt on the client exists - PGP and other products. It's making it convenient that is the trick.

sure you can :) but i mean it more complex, like servers, pc´s connected each other distributing themself mails/messages, some new protocol opened at specific port, easily could also be operated thru vpn/tor...

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2021

@jpeng said:
    so is there an alternative for protonmail?

The best way to secure your email privacy is by hosting it yourself, on some encrypted server. And messages would need to be encrypted too (PGP as advised) for best security.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2021

Funny side note: There exists email sending & receiving with TLS, even two different ways (yet something else that's confusing users ...) but TLS happens to be a very expensive thing to use (in terms of processor cycles) some providers (probably many, maybe even most; me not know, never checked many providers) do not, even if possible (supported by the other side) use TLS. Not bad will, but makes sense I guess from their perspective because they don't receive and send a couple of emails per day but 5 - 7 digit numbers of emails.
    To say "just use PGP" is more attractive because that shifts the expensive computations away from them and to the users.

• @jsg said:
    Funny side note: There exists email sending & receiving with TLS, even two different ways (yet something else that's confusing users ...) but TLS happens to be a very expensive thing to use (in terms of processor cycles) some providers (probably many, maybe even most; me not know, never checked many providers) do not, even if possible (supported by the other side) use TLS. Not bad will, but makes sense I guess from their perspective because they don't receive and send a couple of emails per day but 5 - 7 digit numbers of emails.
    To say "just use PGP" is more attractive because that shifts the expensive computations away from them and to the users.

Almost every large / well-known email provider supports or requires SMTP over TLS / SSL both between clients and between other SMTP servers (along with IMAPS and POP3S).

The problem is more in the long tail of smaller providers and business that haven’t upgraded or don’t care about enabling it.

• M66BM66B Veteran
    edited September 2021

@adly said:

@jsg said:

Almost every large / well-known email provider supports or requires SMTP over TLS / SSL both between clients and between other SMTP servers (along with IMAPS and POP3S).

The problem is more in the long tail of smaller providers and business that haven’t upgraded or don’t care about enabling it.

Virtually all email providers provide secure connections between server and client, but server-to-server communication is another story like @raindog308 correctly pointed out, as there are still no guarantees.

Note that STARTTLS is less safe than SSL/TLS, although a decent email client will prevent downgrading to a not encrypted connection. Related article:

https://www.eff.org/nl/deeplinks/2018/06/announcing-starttls-everywhere-securing-hop-hop-email-delivery

The port numbers almost always determine the encryption protocol (SSL/TLS or STARTTLS):

IMAP: port 143 STARTTLS port 993 SSL/TLS
    SMTP: port 465 SSL/TLS port 587 STARTTLS

If your provider supports pure SSL/TLS (port 465 and port 993) better use it!

• @raindog308 said:
    @TimboJones raises good points that would no doubt be argued but I would bet on the feds winning. Judges take a dim view of people trying to find clever ways to subvert the intent of the law.

This is what lawyers DO. And now, it's kind of ok with the current supreme court (ie, the fucking Texas anti abortion law).

And my point is, what resolution or action can a Judge take after the gag order is served? "Judge, it's a gag order, I literally said nothing". What is "winning" in such a case? It would be Streisand effect(-ing) themselves.

• Well, if you want to go with a totally "secure" email service with no logging even under court orders, go ahead. Just don't be surprised to find out it was a joint operation between the US, Australia and Interpol three years later.

Thanked by 2MannDude bulbasaur
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

Lavabit is still around, it had the balls to cease operation rather than surrender emails back in 2013, but not too sure If it's rebirth version is still the same.

• Why is that case becoming so popular? Protonmail itself has a transparency report for every single time they provide information to authorities due to a request, this is not the first time it happens or the last time it will happen

https://protonmail.com/blog/transparency-report/

Email is just insecure by its nature and you will always have to trust the email company

Protonmail is still far better then Gmail and other mainstream alternatives, at least it doesn't read your emails to target you with advertisements, but as a rule of thumb, I wouldn't blindly trust anyone

Thanked by 2MannDude TimboJones
  • @Miod said:
    Why is that case becoming so popular? Protonmail itself has a transparency report for every single time they provide information to authorities due to a request, this is not the first time it happens or the last time it will happen

https://protonmail.com/blog/transparency-report/

Email is just insecure by its nature and you will always have to trust the email company

The people's response in spite of this is how you know they're fucking idiots.

Thanked by 2MannDude 10thHouse
  • @LTniger said:
    It is impossible to be anonymous in modern society. If you are born in hospital and registered - game over. To be anonymous is a privilege.

You could fake your death and live as somebody else.

• @Fritz said:

@LTniger said:
    It is impossible to be anonymous in modern society. If you are born in hospital and registered - game over. To be anonymous is a privilege.

Good luck getting any government services or amenities, or even passing background checks for jobs (you'll eventually need them at some point).

• @Fritz said:

@LTniger said:

Just fake your death and commit identity theft bro, its so easy to do

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @stevewatson301 said:

@Fritz said:

@LTniger said:

Good luck getting any government services or amenities, or even passing background checks for jobs (you'll eventually need them at some point).

I guess it could be doable. I have a friend who lived till the age of 42, without an ID card. He only had a birth certificate with which was registered at his family doctor. No bank account, monthly salary just in cash, nothing on his name, and that was about it. He finally took his ID simply because he wanted to get married - the things men do for women. Anyway, if this was possible without any official pictures, I am thinking stealing or buying a different identity could also be possible.