Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

attention, problems, and solutions (#3)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

attention, problems, and solutions (#3)

SirFoxySirFoxy Member
edited September 2021 in Tutorials

in continuance to my last two threads, i'm publishing the third and final series of how to actually sell shit.

there's ultimately two frameworks that encompass the entire marketing sphere:

1) AIDA

attention, interest, desire, action.

2) PAS

problem, agitate, solutions.

these work perfectly together, here's how:

(A)ttention, people are frequently distracted in the modern age, quite literally the attention of goldfish.

you need to write killer headlines that grab attention. it depends on the industry but various things work.

in some high clickbait markets anti-headlines can work well, such as this where i've literally written emails that are titled "another email" and it gets a 30% open rate in an hour.

it depends on the culture of the audience, @seriesn usually does this well here.

(I)nterest - this encompasses problem.

to catch someones interest, you need to speak directly to them and understand your target audience better than they understand themselves.

your product needs to solve a (P)roblem, more on that later.

(A#2)ggitate.

this is where content marketing comes into hand, once you understand your target audience you can really rub the issue in and position yourself.

here's an example in this market:

a guy runs a gameserver and constantly gets knocked offline.

(this is his problem.)

let's say you're OVH, you approach him and explain his problem, make him understand how your DDoS protection works and how much better his life will be with your solution.

this agitation is what generates (D)esire

now for (S)olution:

at this point you've got attention, generated interest through speaking directly to your audience, explained to your customer his problem, agitated it while preframing your product as the solution which is what builds desire.

you at this point present your product as the solution.

finally, you can host your alt-right site without worry of being deplatformed @Francisco

finally, you can run your gameserver without being DDoSed

finally, you can host your warez with cociu, etc.

this is how you stop commoditizing your service.

you're not selling a product or service, you're solving a problem and being paid for it.

it's no longer a race to the bottom.

and last but not least...

A(ction) you need to give them a reason to act.

this was already mentioned in a previous thread, but important.

it's usually done through scarcity otherwise known as deals.

set a timer, set a quantity.

give them a reason to act now.

pinky promise, it'll work.

alas, an end to the series.

much love,

foxy

Comments

• I can't wait to see how @ezeth (mis)interprets this latest thread and what shitshow will result..

• @dahartigan said:
    I can't wait to see how @ezeth (mis)interprets this latest thread and what shitshow will result..

love u but @ezeth owns his gear and colo's it, he's at approximately $6,000 annual revenue before trials, and that pays for his gear twice over for the next year.

anybody can use this information though, and best of luck to them. i'm not on the ethics side of things.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @SirFoxy said:

@dahartigan said:
    I can't wait to see how @ezeth (mis)interprets this latest thread and what shitshow will result..

love u but @ezeth owns his gear and colo's it, he's at approximately $6,000 annual revenue before trials, and that pays for his gear twice over for the next year.

anybody can use this information though, and best of luck to them. i'm not on the ethics side of things.

Love you too my brother, but we're dealing with a "provider" who is so hilariously incompetent that he hot adds RAM to a running server, can't even configure virtualizor correctly, thinks you need some kind of magic drive to create a 250GB swap, I could go on..

• @dahartigan said: Love you too my brother, but we're dealing with a "provider" who is so hilariously incompetent that he hot adds RAM to a running server, can't even configure virtualizor correctly, thinks you need some kind of magic drive to create a 250GB swap, I could go on..

sorry but why is this unreasonable?

• virtualizor is badly documented horribly written piece of software
    • there are servers made by normal brands (non mainframe, etc) that support hot adding ram
    • it is much easier for users to not find out when you create 250gb of swap on really, really fast disk compared to the cheapest samsung evo you can find
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@dahartigan said: but we're dealing with a "provider" who is so hilariously incompetent that he hot adds RAM to a running server

Wasn't that done by his upstream provider?

• @Jio said:

@dahartigan said: Love you too my brother, but we're dealing with a "provider" who is so hilariously incompetent that he hot adds RAM to a running server, can't even configure virtualizor correctly, thinks you need some kind of magic drive to create a 250GB swap, I could go on..

• there are servers made by normal brands (non mainframe, etc) that support hot adding ram
    • it is much easier for users to not find out when you create 250gb of swap on really, really fast disk compared to the cheapest samsung evo you can find

None of those points address the issue at all..

@Arkas said:

@dahartigan said: but we're dealing with a "provider" who is so hilariously incompetent that he hot adds RAM to a running server

Yes, which means there is a clear lineage of incompetence from boomer back to his upstream.

At least @DataIdeas-Josh admitted he ducked up which is notable but no excuse for the incompetence.

@ezeth accepts no fault and will blame everything ranging from apt mirrors to Ubuntu for his incompetence.

The whole thing is a shitshow Randy

Thanked by 2bulbasaur Arkas
  • @dahartigan said:

@Jio said:

@dahartigan said: Love you too my brother, but we're dealing with a "provider" who is so hilariously incompetent that he hot adds RAM to a running server, can't even configure virtualizor correctly, thinks you need some kind of magic drive to create a 250GB swap, I could go on..

None of those points address the issue at all..

@Arkas said:

Yes, which means there is a clear lineage of incompetence from boomer back to his upstream.

At least @DataIdeas-Josh admitted he ducked up which is notable but no excuse for the incompetence.

@ezeth accepts no fault and will blame everything ranging from apt mirrors to Ubuntu for his incompetence.

The whole thing is a shitshow Randy

quack

listen to the liquor

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@dahartigan said:

Right because you are perfect and don't mess up anything.
    Piss off.
    Shit happens. I admitted my mistake publicly and even offered free colo to Boomer Hosting. If you don't learn from your mistakes then you are unable to grow as a person.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@dahartigan said:

Piss off.
    Shit happens. I admitted my mistake publicly and even offered free colo to Boomer Hosting. If you don't learn from your mistakes then you are unable to grow as a person.

I can do what I like and mess up however I like when I'm not charging for it. Same applies to you. Don't charge money for something you're incompetent with. Simple.

I can't imagine how nervous your colo customers would be with their hardware at risk of neglect...

Telling me to piss off and banging on about how you admitted your mistake doesn't change the underlying issue of you being incompetent as a provider, it just shows you're probably very young and lack some general life experience on top of your incompetence.

edited September 2021

@dahartigan said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@dahartigan said:

Piss off.

I can do what I like and mess up however I like when I'm not charging for it. Same applies to you. Don't charge money for something you're incompetent with. Simple.

I can't imagine how nervous your colo customers would be with their hardware at risk of neglect...

Telling me to piss off and banging on about how you admitted your mistake doesn't change the underlying issue of you being incompetent as a provider, it just shows you're probably very young and lack some general life experience on top of your incompetence.

Apparently you don't know how shit works at all.
    By your words if you are paying someone things are to be perfect.
    Don't ever go to a fast food restaurant then and expect your order right every single time.
    Dude. Even SpaceX messes up and their rocket explodes. They even made a video about it.
    Shit happens. My colo clients are happy with me. Apparently you got a stick for me and that is fine. I hope you enjoy your stick.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@dahartigan said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@dahartigan said:

Piss off.

Apparently you don't know how shit works at all.
    By your words if you are paying someone things are to be perfect.
    Don't ever go to a fast food restaurant then and expect your order right every single time.
    Dude. Even SpaceX messes up and their rocket explodes. They even made a video about it.
    Shit happens. My colo clients are happy with me. Apparently you got a stick for me and that is fine. I hope you enjoy your stick.

I'm sure your "shit happens" attitude is fine for your current customers, for now, but wait until you really fuck something up with serious consequences to a customer who isn't as forgiving as @ezeth

By your strange logic, it will all be okay because you said sorry.

Either way, arguing with me about it is a waste of your time, you should study up on some basic computer theory and consider whether the hosting business is for you..

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2021

Awesome thread once again, good job!

Thanked by 2SirFoxy dahartigan

@dahartigan said: I'm sure your "shit happens" attitude is fine for your current customers, for now, but wait until you really fuck something up with serious consequences to a customer who isn't as forgiving as @ezeth

Like any business if something gets messed up by me. I will fix the issue. Rather if that means me replace their system or just replace components.

As far as studying on basic computer theory. Maybe you should do some more research as well. Due to there is actually systems that can be hot plugged if setup correctly.

@dahartigan said: By your strange logic, it will all be okay because you said sorry.

I know "saying sorry" doesn't fix the situation. I could have stayed quiet and just kept this between me and the client.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@dahartigan said: I'm sure your "shit happens" attitude is fine for your current customers, for now, but wait until you really fuck something up with serious consequences to a customer who isn't as forgiving as @ezeth

Like any business if something gets messed up by me. I will fix the issue. Rather if that means me replace their system or just replace components.

Oh yeah? You can't just replace lost data.

As far as studying on basic computer theory. Maybe you should do some more research as well. Due to there is actually systems that can be hot plugged if setup correctly.

If you had showed any sort of competency you would have first confirmed that the customer's equipment was configured appropriately in the first place, then you would have avoided this embarrassing fuck up.

Cute that you think you can educate others on a topic you show a distinct lack of knowledge of..

@dahartigan said: By your strange logic, it will all be okay because you said sorry.

I know "saying sorry" doesn't fix the situation. I could have stayed quiet and just kept this between me and the client.

You probably should have just done that to be honest with you.

@dahartigan said: Oh yeah? You can't just replace lost data.

because HDDs/SSDs/NVMEs doesn't just die on their own. And backups are not a thing right?

@dahartigan said: Cute that you think you can educate others on a topic you show a distinct lack of knowledge of..

I never said exactly what systems. Just saying there are systems out there.

@dahartigan said: You probably should have just done that to be honest with you.

Well it would have been not an issue by now. But there are people like you that want to continue to bring this up.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@dahartigan said: Oh yeah? You can't just replace lost data.

because HDDs/SSDs/NVMEs doesn't just die on their own. And backups are not a thing right?

That's a horrifying answer!

@dahartigan said: Cute that you think you can educate others on a topic you show a distinct lack of knowledge of..

I never said exactly what systems. Just saying there are systems out there.

Cool, so you know those systems are rare and it's not likely you're ever going to see one let alone colo it?

@dahartigan said: You probably should have just done that to be honest with you.

Well it would have been not an issue by now. But there are people like you that want to continue to bring this up.

I believe people like me bring it up because it's important that we do. Not everyone in our audience is technical and can pick up on the nuances of what's going on, so for the benefit of those people we raise these issues.

Would you prefer we didn't? I'd love your feedback on that.

Thanked by 2Arkas adly

@dahartigan said: I believe people like me bring it up because it's important that we do. Not everyone in our audience is technical and can pick up on the nuances of what's going on, so for the benefit of those people we raise these issues.

Apparently people like you dewell on the past. Got it.
    Your goal in life is to apparently constantly bring up the negative that a company has done.

You good person have a good night.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@dahartigan said: I believe people like me bring it up because it's important that we do. Not everyone in our audience is technical and can pick up on the nuances of what's going on, so for the benefit of those people we raise these issues.

Apparently people like you dewell on the past. Got it.
    Your goal in life is to apparently constantly bring up the negative that a company has done.

You good person have a good night.

Yes, of course, it's just me and people like me (who question you) that's the problem. Got it.

Sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities..

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • it has nothing to do with the thread but at the end of the the day my mans is @dahartigan

Thanked by 2dahartigan Arkas
    edited September 2021

@dahartigan said: Yes, of course, it's just me and people like me (who question you) that's the problem. Got it.

oh hun you didn't offend me by any means. <3

Joys of 2020+ everyone thinks everyone gets offended..

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@dahartigan said: Yes, of course, it's just me and people like me (who question you) that's the problem. Got it.

oh hun you didn't offend me by any means. <3

Joys of 2020+ everyone thinks everyone gets offended..

Glad to hear that, now go run along and take your noob ass to bed before you embarrass yourself any further in front of the adults.

• @ezeth said:

Keep it up, everyone from the outside is going to hate.

And yes @dahartigan I still have love for you even though we disagree.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @SirFoxy said:

@ezeth said:

My man we can disagree and still show love, we are setting a good example here! :)

Thanked by 2SirFoxy Arkas
  • @dahartigan said:

@SirFoxy said:

@ezeth said:

My man we can disagree and still show love, we are setting a good example here! :)

❤️

Thanked by 2dahartigan Arkas
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@SirFoxy said: attention, interest, desire, action.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I love it when LETters contribute to our community and share their professional knowledge. While I'm utterly clueless, even stupid when it comes to marketing, I was drawn in by @SirFoxy's little "tutorial" because it seems to break the whole thing down quite well and in a way that even I could grasp.

Well done SirFoxy and thank you!

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • There was no need to derail this thread @dahartigan

New Discussion button is always there for that.

Keep it up @SirFoxy

Regarding customer attention point, let me add these points I read recently:

What can marketers do?

• Be clear, personal, relevant and (quickly) get to the point
    • Defy expectations, leverage rich media and movement to
      grab attention

• Embed calls to action, be interactive, use sequential
      messaging, and build cohesive, immersive experiences
      across screens
      (read the entire thing here if you still have my attention)

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited September 2021

@SirFoxy said:

@dahartigan said:

What? Are you an alt account for ezeth? Do people need to make an informative post on the difference between revenue, loss and profit? What's he going to do to support himself the other 11 months of the year he needs to pay rent and buy groceries?

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • @jsg said:
    I love it when LETters contribute to our community and share their professional knowledge. While I'm utterly clueless, even stupid when it comes to marketing, I was drawn in by @SirFoxy's little "tutorial" because it seems to break the whole thing down quite well and in a way that even I could grasp.

Well done SirFoxy and thank you!

thanks @jsg ❤️

• @TimboJones said:

@SirFoxy said:

@dahartigan said:

What? Are you an alt account for ezeth? Do people need to make an informative post on the difference between revenue, loss and profit? What's he going to do to support himself the other 11 months of the year he needs to pay rent and buy groceries?

ok boomer