Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yahoo was sold by Verizon
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Yahoo was sold by Verizon

What will happen for yahoo? will it die? Do you use the yahoo service such as email?
How about AOL? will it be sold too? Just like to hear your viewpoints. :)

Comments

• yahoo is literally a hot potato

• Does anyone still actually use Yahoo?

• @Xrmaddness said:
    Does anyone still actually use Yahoo?

I'd assume only for the news...

• I am still using yahoo mail...

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

1990's Yahoo was the best Yahoo.

Man, I could go for a game of Yahoo Checkers right about now.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@Xrmaddness said:

A lot of people still use Yahoo mail, typically older users.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • May be 19 people used

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@MannDude said: 1990's Yahoo was the best Yahoo.

Yes, those were the days for Yahoo. I met so many women in their chat rooms. Yahoo chat was great. We then met in real life, and I left screaming vowing to never repeat the experience until the next Yahoo chat session, and so the circle went.

Thanked by 1rahulks
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@MannDude said:
    1990's Yahoo was the best Yahoo.

Man, I could go for a game of Yahoo Checkers right about now.

Oh man, or some Yahoo Pool!

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • JasonMJasonM Member
    edited September 2021

Yahoo even closed its India operations this Aug 26th, 2021. Staff was laid-off. The site in.yahoo.com now just has a search box.

Effective August 26, 2021, we have ceased publication of content in India and have shut down Yahoo's content operations in the country. The content offerings closed include Yahoo News, Yahoo Cricket, Finance, Entertainment and MAKERS India. We did not come to this decision lightly. However, Yahoo India has been impacted by changes to regulatory laws in India that now limit the foreign ownership of media companies that operate and publish digital content in India. Yahoo has had a long association with India and we're really proud of the premium, local content we have provided our users here for the last 20 years. Once again, thank you for your support and trust in our brand. Please note: In case you are a Yahoo Mail user, this change does not affect you in any way. This development does not impact our products Yahoo Mail and Yahoo Search, where we will continue to serve users in India as before, without any change.

They've another major office/partnership in Japan as Yahoo7. Don't know what's its future it.

• @Advin said:

@Xrmaddness said:

A lot of people still use Yahoo mail, typically older users.

My condolences to those people.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @Xrmaddness said: My condolences to those people.

I'm just thinking about the amount of money grubbing marketer hands that all those old people's love letters, personal grandchildren image attachments, etc have gone through numerous times without a say in the matter.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

I only use Yahoo for Yahoo Finance, get my morning brief and know if I should open my brokerage account or not.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

I thought that happened awhile back. Or am I thinking of some other company that sold to Verizon...

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    I thought that happened awhile back. Or am I thinking of some other company that sold to Verizon...

VZM acquired both AOL (2015) and Yahoo (2016), and now they've been acquired by Apollo Global Management.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @DP said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

VZM acquired both AOL (2015) and Yahoo (2016), and now they've been acquired by Apollo Global Management.

was AOL also sold this time?

edited September 2021

Heh.. Well thats a thing. @jpeng

Apparently its more than just Yahoo??? or just a misleading title.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/01/apollo-completes-its-5b-acquisition-of-verizon-media-now-known-as-yahoo/

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@jpeng said:

@DP said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

was AOL also sold this time?

They're now owned by Apollo, along with TechCrunch, Engadget and RYOT.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/01/apollo-completes-its-5b-acquisition-of-verizon-media-now-known-as-yahoo/

Thanked by 1jpeng

@DP and me posted the same link.. lol

• @Arkas said:

@MannDude said: 1990's Yahoo was the best Yahoo.

Yes, those were the days for Yahoo. I met so many women in their chat rooms ... We then met in real life, and I left screaming vowing to never repeat the experience until the next Yahoo chat session, and so the circle went.

These days you can easily have the same experience using tiktok and/or twitter.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@DataRecovery said: These days you can easily have the same experience using tiktok and/or twitter.

Yes, I know, but I meant how much fun it was in the old days when all the tech was new :wink:

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited September 2021

@Arkas said: Yes, I know, but I meant how much fun it was in the old days when all the tech was new

Yeah.. somewhere in 1998/99 there was this Yahoo Chat Public Rooms.. and people use to chat, gossip and make new friends. There were city-based public rooms where you could find peers chatting 24/7 on any damn topic. I got two friends whom I met in one of the Yahoo's public chat room. It's 2021 and we are still friends. I visited their house in neighboring town on occasion of festival 4 years ago!

I still have @ hotmail email which I created in 97/98. and also one from @ yahoo created in 1999-2000.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

aww man, the good 'ol internet days are vanishing one by one. first it was the times, then came the original companies, soon might be the memories.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited September 2021

The only thing worth remembering about yahoo from a decade ago was their resident MILF / CEO Marissa Mayer :blush:

• Was that a loss-making deal for Verizon?

Verizon acquired AOL in 2015 for $4.4 billion,
    followed by buying Yahoo for $4.5 billion two years later.

Verizon sold AOL + Yahoo + TechCrunch for $5 billion in 2021.

• @JasonM said:
    Was that a loss-making deal for Verizon?

very lost Verizon.

• @JasonM said:

How did Verizon (a mobile ISP) make that a worse decision to buy yahoo/aol?

• @jpeng said: How did Verizon (a mobile ISP) make that a worse decision to buy yahoo/aol?

they might have given a thought to innovate and add new products to Yahoo, like cloud services like Azure, online meeting service like zoom, etc. Something beyond News and Email. Or at least try to do full make-over like About.com brands (forming small individual brands in each niche like Health, Beauty, Tech). But since they didn't touch anything from 2016-2021 it was some how the end of Yahoo. AOL already died as a portal before 2015.

IDK what the new owner will do about Yahoo. They'll need massive investment if they want to offer services like Google Cloud or want to be News & Entertainment portal - with a difference.

Thanked by 3Arkas jpeng bulbasaur

@jpeng said:

@JasonM said:

I know Verizon use to have a Fiber network for residential use. I think the name was FIOS. Did they finally sell it off as well and go strictly mobile?

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@jpeng said:

@JasonM said:

I know Verizon use to have a Fiber network for residential use. I think the name was FIOS. Did they finally sell it off as well and go strictly mobile?

I don't know Josh. I had used verizon's mobile card for short time when I was in the US.