Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH IPv6 split between two servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH IPv6 split between two servers?

Has anyone got OVH IPv6 to work between servers?

Example server 1 has IPv6 block 2001:db8:abcd:0012::0/64 allocated how could I use that same block on another server.

I saw the following response when someone asked about IPv6 through vRACK

vRack is a plain l2 network, so nothing special to get IPv6 to work. You however don't have a publicly routable range given to you, so 2 choices for IP addressing: either autconfiguration or use you own addressing in private ULA (fd00::/8)

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2021

Why do you want to use the same IPv6 subnet on both servers? Can be done, but one will have to route to/from the Internet via another. So why the overhead and complexity, doesn't the second server have its own separate subnet from OVH?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2021

You tunnel the IPv6 through the vps which its allocated to and forward it to the other vps.
    However, this increases your single point of failure.

• @rm_ said:
    Why do you want to use the same IPv6 subnet on both servers? Can be done, but one will have to route to/from the Internet via another. So why the overhead and complexity, doesn't the second server have its own separate subnet from OVH?

Because I regularly upgrade my OVH server every 6-12 months when they offer new hardware. I do not want to have to mess around with configuring IPv6 when I do that.

Ideally I would just use my storage IPv6 block for everything related to IPv6.

• Why don't you throw a load balancer in front?

• How would I go about doing this what do you guys suggest?

The two servers would have IP blocks

2001:41d0:802:1be1::/56
    2001:41d0:802:2be1::/56

All of the /56 needs to be able to work on both servers at the same time.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@bratac said: All of the /56 needs to be able to work on both servers at the same time.

IPv6 don't have failover option with OVH as they are pointed to specific hardware.
    https://www.ovhcloud.com/en-gb/bare-metal/ip/

• iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited September 2021

@bratac said:
    Because I regularly upgrade my OVH server every 6-12 months when they offer new hardware. I do not want to have to mess around with configuring IPv6 when I do that.

Have you ever heard of DNS? Why do you guys even indulge such questions...

Cattle not pets. v6 is this paradigm taken to the extreme.

If you're attempting v6 permanence, you're doing something very, very wrong.

Thanked by 1raindog308