Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

jsg, the "Server Review King": can you trust him? Is YABS misleading you? - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

jsg, the "Server Review King": can you trust him? Is YABS misleading you?

15678911»

Comments

• @raindog308 said:

@jenkki said: You can ignore only your ejaculation.

If there's one thing that always commands my undivided attention in this world, that's it.

(to be clear: mine, not @TimboJones's)

For a moment there I thought...... never-mind.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @jenkki said:

@TimboJones said: User jenkki added to ignore list.

You can ignore only your ejaculation.

Sounds like you leave a mess for your mom to clean up.

• @TimboJones said: Sounds like you leave a mess for your mom to clean up.

Mom already gone. But you can still save on your school dinner.

• @jsg said:

@Arkas said:

@yoursunny said: There is possibly malicious code in the pseudo "benchmark".
    Not only is the results untrustworthy, but also your server may be compromised.
    Stay away from vpsbench

Care to back up these statements, or are they winnie the pooh standard issue?

Nuh, that's just a "smart" attempt foss zealots like to use to force getting at the source code because only that, so their mantra goes, can clean an author of their allegations ...

I know its a week later but just wanted to respond to this.

It is possible for a program to detect when strace is being used and change its behaviour, and similarly it's possible to use precision timing to detect when a program is running under a debugger and change its behaviour.

Of course with some expertise it's indeed possible to work around both, but there's lot of careful reverse engineering work to be done before you can detect malicious behaviour embedded in a program. Given that the subject of this post only responds to comments in bad faith and keeps moving the goalposts, it's not unreasonable to ask for source code.

@jsg said: Oh, and don't hold your breath waiting for him to back his heinous claims up, other than saying something like "I said possibly! and that is true" (just as true as "your car could possibly transform into a war robot and attack you".

Clearly you didn't watch Transformers, but programs can transform into malware and attack you, and quite easily.

Try downloading the Mozi malware samples on urlhaus, and if you put them into a disassembler you'll be hard pressed to find malicious code directly! Instead, the malicious code is stored compressed in the executable as "data", and in the program's actual code (the ".text" section, for those familiar), you will find a small decompressor that does the job of decompressing and executing the "data".

@jsg said: Or no, wait, do not use anything with an Arm or x86 processor (or many others) in it because that's all closed source/design stuff!

I'm hard pressed to find an instance where ARM, Intel, or AMD replied to concerns about their products with invitations to dick measuring contests.

• Enough. The man destroyed his reputation as trustworthy benchmark script developer. Case closed.

Thanked by 2Andrews itsnotv
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@stevewatson301 said:

@jsg said:

@yoursunny said: There is possibly malicious code in the pseudo "benchmark".
    Not only is the results untrustworthy, but also your server may be compromised.
    Stay away from vpsbench

Nuh, that's just a "smart" attempt foss zealots like to use to force getting at the source code because only that, so their mantra goes, can clean an author of their allegations ...

I know its a week later but just wanted to respond to this.

It is possible for a program to detect when strace is being used and change its behaviour, and similarly it's possible to use precision timing to detect when a program is running under a debugger and change its behaviour.

This isn't about strace.
    The program can detect the environment and only execute malicious payload when it's running in the target environment.

For example, a virus may look at the process table, and proceed with further infection only if there's industrial control software running.
    This is how Iran nuclear facility was destroyed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Whatever. I never even cared about my software being traced, let alone doing anything to prevent tracing. Nor does my code care about the process table or the like; simple reason: that's not needed for my benchmark.

I also fail to see why I should infect or harm tested systems. My professional work is on the other side of the fence (avoid vulnerabilities, protect against attacks).

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The man really loves to dig his own grave.

• @jsg said:
    Whatever. I never even cared about my software being traced, let alone doing anything to prevent tracing. Nor does my code care about the process table or the like; simple reason: that's not needed for my benchmark.

I also fail to see why I should infect or harm tested systems. My professional work is on the other side of the fence (avoid vulnerabilities, protect against attacks).

There's a non-zero amount of people that think you're a paid Russian troll. Whenever you talk about your professional work, the way you talk about details makes you really suspect like you're trying to pass as a security software developer but there's just so many things that look out of place.

• @TimboJones said:

@jsg said:

There's a non-zero amount of people that think you're a paid Russian troll. Whenever you talk about your professional work, the way you talk about details makes you really suspect like you're trying to pass as a security software developer but there's just so many things that look out of place.

He's good in understanding computers, bad in understanding people. One can't be perfect.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@TimboJones said: There's a non-zero amount of people that think you're a paid Russian troll. Whenever you talk about your professional work, the way you talk about details makes you really suspect like you're trying to pass as a security software developer but there's just so many things that look out of place.

Yes, child, they look out of place now. In a few more years, specifically after you hit puberty, you might develop an open mind and actually read and interpret the data instead of just making fun of it. But it's ok, learning is an experience that takes time, child.

• @default said:

@TimboJones said:

@jsg said:

He's good in understanding computers.

Agree to disagree.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2021

@default said:
    He's good in understanding computers, bad in understanding people. One can't be perfect.

Depends on the kind of people.

Funny btw to see how some people, while seemingly talking about me, actually tell more about themselves than about me.

And now please excuse me, I'll go back and shed more tears because so many eksperts handed me bad grades.

• @jsg said:

@default said:

Depends on the kind of people.

And now please excuse me, I'll go back and shed more tears because so many eksperts handed me bad grades.

Thanked by 1jsg