Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I worry about a VPS provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hello,

I got a VPS for a good price around 14 hours ago. I paid and the VPS was quickly ready, I accessed it and was working hard to set things up, when I stopped for dinner. When I came back my account was suspended with the reason "Additional Account Verification Required".

They requested me A LOT of things, pictures of my ID, a selfie holding my ID with really hard requirements (it took me a lot and I had to ask for a friend's help to take a picture in which my face appeared and the documents were readable), a picture of transaction info at my banking account and - the most terrifying - a picture of my credit card (with numbers and security code covered, to be fair). To make things worse, my bank doesn't allow me to use my physical card for transactions using the card number/verification code as a security measure, so I used a virtual card and can't have a picture (I tried a screenshot of my virtual card, have no idea if they will accept).

Anyway, I sent them but sadly, it's been several hours and they didn't even answer my first question (regarding the virtual card). I cannot access my VPS and I have saved this weekend to work on the deploy of my experiment, for the research I am conducting, the reason I got the service.

The question I have is: should I worry about their silence and their decision to suspend before even giving me a chance to provide the verification? I mean, they could have at least given me some time to send it before suspending, couldn't they?

Comments

• It sounds like you've got scammed. Why would you think it's a good idea to send ID verification for a cheap box (from a presumably shady company?). You should've asked for a refund immediately.

• Could be a scam, but maybe not. Who is the provider?

• henixhenix Member
    edited September 2021

@brunodOut said:
    Hello,

To make things worse, my bank doesn't allow me to use my physical card for transactions using the card number/verification code as a security measure, so I used a virtual card

Are there banks that actually do that?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2021

Ask for a refund, doing this after delivery and payment verification is kinda shady.
    Especially asking so much for a virtual server, that is usually what a bank asks for.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • @Neoon said:
    Ask for a refund, doing this after delivery and payment verification is kinda shady.

I'm willing to bet it's a summerhost who's looking to scam credit cards.

Thanked by 2dahartigan o_be_one
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

No, don't just worry, run, run away as fast as you can from them.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • Name and shame

Thanked by 2raindog308 o_be_one
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I once had to send a provider

• A full body nude of myself, front and back
    • A vial of my blood via snail mail
    • A vial of someone else's blood via snail mail
    • Security footage of me committing a criminal act, though I was allowed to pick the act
    • A letter from my rabbi (I had to convert to Judaism to accomplish this)
    • Photocopies of all entries in my personal diary
    • My LiveJournal fan fic page URL
    • A testimonial from my 3rd grade teacher

...was I scammed?

• @raindog308 said:

• Security footage of me committing a criminal act, though I was allowed to pick the act

...was I scammed?

Sounds legit to me!

... can we get that fan fic URL?

• @raindog308 said:

...was I scammed?

I wouldn't call it a scam unless they ask for a gallon of other body fluids. Let me tell you, not easy filling up a gallon of that. Lots of chafing.
    And since you had to convert to Judaism, did the provider require you to send in any foreskin as proof? If not, they where totally scamming you.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited September 2021

@raindog308 said:

...was I scammed?

I once had to send NEKKI-THE-CREEP a photo of me looking slightly disgruntled.

Was I scammed?

• @brunodOut said: The question I have is: should I worry about their silence and their decision to suspend before even giving me a chance to provide the verification? I mean, they could have at least given me some time to send it before suspending, couldn't they?

If they had given you some time before suspending, then it may have been too late (depending on whether you're honest or not).

Anyway, without knowing who the provider is, what are we supposed to say?

Congrats on your first post.

• The only rational conclusion I see is that it's a scam. Everything is a scam.

• @henix said: To make things worse, my bank doesn't allow me to use my physical card for transactions using the card number/verification code as a security measure, so I used a virtual card

Your bank does not allow you to use your bank card? OK....................

• Meanwhile, provider is posting on a forum talking about this new sketchy customer that paid with a virtual card, lives in a country with previous bad history, etc...

• brunodOutbrunodOut Member
    edited September 2021

Hello everyone!

Thanks for all the answers.

I opted not to mention their name by the time I posted, it happened that other webhosts in the past bothered me about credit cards, I guess it's because I am based in Brazil so their risk management typically gets a little bit paranoid.

The reason I was worried about was the delay and lack of responsiveness, but 10 minutes after my post they reactivated my account, so I will preserve their name. It seems like everything is okay now!

@TimboJones said:
    Meanwhile, provider is posting on a forum talking about this new sketchy customer that paid with a virtual card, lives in a country with previous bad history, etc...

Well, a person does not choose the country they live in, and paying with a virtual card is a security measure required by my bank (so the physical card remains unaffected case you enter your security code into the site of a "sketchy" VPS provider)

@angstrom said:

@brunodOut said: The question I have is: should I worry about their silence and their decision to suspend before even giving me a chance to provide the verification? I mean, they could have at least given me some time to send it before suspending, couldn't they?

If they had given you some time before suspending, then it may have been too late (depending on whether you're honest or not).

Anyway, without knowing who the provider is, what are we supposed to say?

Congrats on your first post.

If they had given me, that would have been my fault. But with the time interval I reported, well, that time would have been unreasonably short. And thanks for the congrats!

@henix said:

@brunodOut said:
    Hello,

To make things worse, my bank doesn't allow me to use my physical card for transactions using the card number/verification code as a security measure, so I used a virtual card

Are there banks that actually do that?

Indeed there are, I have accounts with two fintechs in my country and both pose such restrictions. In Brazil manufacturing and sending a new card takes a lot of time due to our mail services, so if someone steals your card's number and security code it would take weeks or even months to receive a new one. So such banks only allow transactions with the physical card from pin pads at physical stores or mobile pin pads, leaving virtual cards for online transactions, as those you can cancel and replace with one click. In practice they work as if they were the same card but with a changeable number/CVV.

PS: Why do people act as if a virtual card was a "bad" or "shady" thing anyway?

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@brunodOut said:

Just curious, what specs has and how much is that VM?

• @brunodOut said:
    Brazil

Here's your answer.

• TejyTejy Member
    edited September 2021

In this kind of situations, constantly add a watermark.

@yoursunny said:

@raindog308 said:

...was I scammed?

I once had to send NEKKI-THE-CREEP a photo of me looking slightly disgruntled.

Was I scammed?

@yoursunny perfectly done that. Well done! (Even if I would recommend putting text/logo on a complicated part of the pic).

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

So much requirements most likely initiated due to:

1) You come from country which provider just afraid (for his own reason). Let's say you order services from EU or USA provider and come, let's say from Guatemala (this is just for sample). Provider has bad experience with customers from Guatemala and therefore apply additional check.

2) You come from IP-address or IP-address range which was used for doing malicious activity.

3) You use payment method which was used for doing malicious activity.

4) Your phone number seem's to be suspicious (SMS services, virtual phones etc.)

5) You use temporary mailbox to register account.

Internet business always need use some compromises. From one side business must follow KYC standard. From other side end user want to save his personal data as safe as possible. That is real life...