Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IncogNET - Account credit contest giveaway, spicy deals, new plans. KVM in Finland, Netherlands 🔥 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IncogNET - Account credit contest giveaway, spicy deals, new plans. KVM in Finland, Netherlands 🔥

2»

Comments

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@yoursunny said:

the future of online privacy

Online privacy cannot be assured.
    Most users do not have the capability to understand the crypto protocols and their implementations.
    They look for the buzzword "end to end encryption" without thinking about how the keys were generated and distributed.
    They get the impression of privacy, not real privacy.

Yup, definitely a good point. At the end it all comes down to what level of privacy someone wishes to have and how much time they want to invest to ensure it's right and that they also practice good opsec.

• I think privacy will disappear on most used platforms, but there will appear more that will respect it.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • @MannDude I don’t really need any of the services, but I’d be interested in the VPN if there was a Wireguard option to support your vision and business. Any update on when this may be available?

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • @adly said: I’d be interested in the VPN if there was a Wireguard option to support your vision and business. Any update on when this may be available?

I'd want to also see wireguard!

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • @MannDude said:

@adly said:

@MannDude said:
    To kick off the contest:

What do you think about the future of online privacy?

It's a vague question with the intention of encouraging some discussion. Let's see what you all come up with.

Everyone collects too much information just because they can and it’s the done thing. Providers here and in the industry in general are just guilty as the big data guzzlers, just indirectly so.

I mean why are most providers collecting phone numbers? I’ve never once received a call from a provider. 90% of the time it’s because it’s on the WHMCS/billing system form. At no point have they analysed what data they require and can justify it.

Personally, as a provider, I’d look at the minimum data set that can be collected to achieve what is required by law. That way I minimise the risk of personal data being leaked, and I reduce compliance costs. 🤷‍♂️

This is the information we require during user registration. This screenshot is from our portal:

As far as fraudulent charges go, we only accept crypto and PayPal / cards through PayPal and PayPal has their own systems in place to protect against fraud. I don't really see a need or a point to collect anything else. I already get complaints because of the email requirement, but until WHMCS can reliably send you Jabber/XMPP/I2PChat/ZeroMail/obscure-thing-no-one-uses-often notifications to let you know you have a due invoice or something then that feature is sort of going to stick. Can always use a throwaway. I don't consider email to be PII since you can create one in many different places without PII verification.

It's great! I don’t think the registrar needs to know My detailed address and phone number.

Unfortunately, the default settings of WHMCS are rarely changed by registrars.

Thanked by 1MannDude

@adly said: @MannDude I don’t really need any of the services, but I’d be interested in the VPN if there was a Wireguard option to support your vision and business. Any update on when this may be available?

I'm not entirely sure. The VPN service is all barebones, requires manual setup, suspension, termination and keep track of it all. It's not very popular, I think people want either more locations or they want easy to use apps, which I've always encouraged them to just use the official apps made by OpenVPN / Wireguard to begin with.

I'm also rethinking our DNS setup. The setup now works and works well for the scale we're at but I'm testing other solutions now that will hopefully scale better.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@MannDude I'm not sure how useful they'd be from a service provider perspective, but maybe you can customize one of the premade wireguard GUIs and easily add customers as users - so they can generate their own configs/etc?

https://github.com/EmbarkStudios/wg-ui
    https://github.com/ngoduykhanh/wireguard-ui

Thanked by 2adly MannDude
  • @MannDude said:
    Just respond to this thread and tell us why you think about the future of online privacy.

The situation is bad and will get worse.

Briefly:

• Large, well-known companies have "security systems", which are like a sieve;
    • Personal data of an average, relatively active person already was stolen 10-30 times. That mostly had no effect on them so far, because targeted attacks on random people are still uncommon. That will change as time goes by (personal deepfakes, etc.);
    • US government and intelligence agencies are an undisputed leader in terms of the amount of data they can access. That's because of the projects like PRISM and Apple/Google/Microsoft being an american companies;
    • People like Edward Snowden will remain a complete outcasts within the Golden Billion countries for exposing the behind-the-scenes activities of the untouchables.
    Thanked by 1MannDude

@Harambe said:
    @MannDude I'm not sure how useful they'd be from a service provider perspective, but maybe you can customize one of the premade wireguard GUIs and easily add customers as users - so they can generate their own configs/etc?

https://github.com/EmbarkStudios/wg-ui
    https://github.com/ngoduykhanh/wireguard-ui

I'll take a gander. I had one of them bookmarked already. Have you used either one?

UPDATE

Added some new distros:

Experimented with Tails in a VM, but it's not behaving how I want. Not sure if we'll offer it just yet. May see about trying to make a Whonix image, in my mind it seems like it'd be easier.

I'll update the dropdown selection in WHMCS and website material when we finalize the distro updates, but they're available from the control panel regardless of availability at time of order. Feel free to make any suggestions. At a glance it still looks like 90% of customers just use Debian.

• I think the future of online privacy is that it doesn't really exist and I don't think it will get any better...

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • @evanwalters said:
    I think the future of online privacy is that it doesn't really exist and I don't think it will get any better...

It doesn’t help that most people aren’t willing to invest in their energy, time, and some convenience to have some form of privacy. 🤷‍♂️

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • What I like about this provider, is his website color gamma. It is so wholesome. Aside of that:

• Less than a year in business;
    • Crypto payments (non-chargeback'able);
    • Long term payment;

I have right to be skeptical.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@LTniger said:

You do, but also check his join date on the forum. MannDude's been around forever, not some rando.

Thanked by 2adly MannDude
  • @Harambe said:

@LTniger said:

You do, but also check his join date on the forum. MannDude's been around forever, not some rando.

Indeed - founder of vpsBoard too.

Thanked by 1MannDude

@LTniger said: I have right to be skeptical.

Absolutely, and there is nothing wrong with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Regarding crypto, we also accept PayPal / Cards (cards processed via PayPal) which gives the buyer more protection. We're considering additional methods as well, such as Stripe or some more regional / localized gateways favored in different parts of the world.

We encourage crypto because it allows for a higher level of privacy and protects us from fraud. Chargebacks should never occur unless as an absolute last resort if a provider is unreachable and hasn't provided any communication or service.

Regarding time in business, it's true: We're new. But I'd like to think we're operating a more sustainable model than most LET providers. The deals we post here aren't as attractive as many other providers and we still make sales through our website at full, non-discounted prices as well. We've been in the green every month other than our first and are building up a healthy reserve to fund our growth and future projects. A week into this month and all overhead / planned expenses for the month is already covered. We're not going to vanish overnight.

@LTniger said: What I like about this provider, is his website color gamma. It is so wholesome.

Ha, thanks. That's my doing. I'm not designer (obviously) and eventually we'll pay to have an awesome, but simple/lightweight design made, but for now I think it works okay. Glad you like it.

Thanked by 1adly
  • adlyadly Veteran
    edited September 2021

@MannDude just noticed you provide Yggdrasil peers, which is great to support the project, but your website states:

Yggdrasil is a lesser known anonymity network that we would like to see grow

while the Yggdrasil website states:

It is not a goal of the Yggdrasil project to provide anonymity.

I understand it’s end-to-end encrypted, but as it’s possible to discover information about peers, it’s not really anonymous is it? Curious as I hadn’t seen this project before. 🙂

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • I think privacy will be like a luxury going forward.
    The sad part is, there are bunch of folks who are unaware of privacy/ the consequences of it. I have seen lot of people mocking me for using Linux/ Mac and browser like Brave/ Epic and not using Gmail. I have educated few of them on how privacy works and how you are tracked, but there are still some fanboys who praise these giant corps and are obsessed.

Thanked by 1MannDude

@adly said:
    @MannDude just noticed you provide Yggdrasil peers, which is great to support the project, but your website states:

Yggdrasil is a lesser known anonymity network that we would like to see grow

while the Yggdrasil website states:

It is not a goal of the Yggdrasil project to provide anonymity.

I understand it’s end-to-end encrypted, but as it’s possible to discover information about peers, it’s not really anonymous is it? Curious as I hadn’t seen this project before. 🙂

I guess I should have used the term, "alternative network" as opposed to, "anonymity network", though nothing about the network itself will reveal who owns or operates a node/peer or the identity of someone connecting to it. Peering with the network will showcase your Yggdrasil IP which does not change by default. Though the path your request takes from you to the destination will change with use, but from what I understand it's not as diverse as you'd find on I2P or Tor (but it's also much faster than either of those two options)

You can view the Yggdrasil public network map here: http://51.15.204.214/ (Search, "Incognet" and you'll see our public peers.

The cool thing about Yggdrasil is that it could be used to easily setup a non-internet facing meshnet. From what I've read it'd self organize and distribute traffic intelligently, which would make it ideal for some sort of citywide meshnet or even as a homelab project.

There are a lot of neat use cases I can think of for the network, and I use it mainly to create HTTP tunnels for the I2P network where I previously used a clearnet IP of a service or site. Ex: [I2P Network]<-->[Remote I2P Router]<-->[Yggdrasil HTTP tunnel]<-->[Clearnet Site] this allows us to serve content from a clearnet site (Like Incognet.io) to both the I2P network (http://webhosting.i2p/) and Yggdrasil ( http://[202:7f4c:a4fe:e85b:4410:21f4:7b8c:99c]/ ) easily.

Thanked by 1adly

Just two more days until the contest / giveaway ends. All you have to do to enter is answer the question: What do you think about the future of online privacy?

There is no right or wrong answer. An answer alone gets you entered to win.

Last day to enter! Enter while you can.

Thanked by 1adly
  • I have two phone numbers, one for personal use and one for registering for less important web services (but they require it), and in the future I'll need to have more and more phone numbers...

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

I believe online privacy is luxury. Everything is online! Plus the United States so many archaic systems and it shows. One project I worked on we were coding a system that a states unemployment system was running since 1968. We upgraded the entire system to get rid the ancient technology and software.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • The future of online privacy will surely get worse. The tech giants mastered the tracking of their users across the internet. Just so greedy.
    But I think you can still practice the common privacy guides in order to minimize your exposure, since you can never escape online tracking, unless you completely refrain from using the internet. Learn your risk/threat model and practice good OPSEC based on your needs.

I hope these sites can help those who want to practice good online privacy.
    https://anonymousplanet.org/guide.html
    https://www.privacyguides.org/
    https://prism-break.org/en/
    https://ssd.eff.org/

Thanked by 2MannDude plumberg
    edited September 2021

Congrats to the following!

@zhi - $20 credit
    @adly - $20 credit
    @evanwalters - $20 credit
    @yoursunny - $20 credit
    @Xrmaddness - $20 credit
    @aiden1 - $25 credit
    @Harambe - $25 credit
    @nvme - $50 credit

I'll PM you all shortly with the details.

If you didn't win, no worries, we'll probably do something again for BlackFriday or at the end of the year. I'd ideally like to do some sort of contest/giveaway like this every few months.

• @MannDude said:
    Congrats to the following!

@zhi - $20 credit
    @adly - $20 credit
    @evanwalters - $20 credit
    @yoursunny - $20 credit
    @Xrmaddness - $20 credit
    @aiden1 - $25 credit
    @Harambe - $25 credit
    @nvme - $50 credit

I'll PM you all shortly with the details.

If you didn't win, no worries, we'll probably do something again for BlackFriday or at the end of the year. I'd ideally like to do some sort of contest/giveaway like this every few months.

Thank you very much.

• I gave up on privacy since Snowden told us about it.

*writing from my China mobile phone

• Very pleased to have won as I was keen on trying the VPN service. B)