Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


New Google Drive for Desktop conflict with Windows Defender?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

New Google Drive for Desktop conflict with Windows Defender?

comXyzcomXyz Member
edited September 3 in General

I just upgraded from Google Backup and Sync to the new Google Drive for Desktop.
And this happened

The folder just have few PDF files, I rescanned the whole folder with Windows Defender, and found nothing.

Anyone having the same issue?

Comments

  • No, I use rclone

    🌈 A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    🌈 BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

  • DPDP Member, The Domain Guy

    I have a similar setup here but I've never experienced what you're experiencing.

    Maybe do a full scan offline?

    Thanked by 1comXyz

    DP - Tech and Hosting-related Domain Names for sale.
    Create an account on Dynadot via my referral link and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!

  • @DP said:
    I have a similar setup here but I've never experienced what you're experiencing.

    Maybe do a full scan offline?

    I did full scan with Windows Defender and Malware Byte, didn't find anything.
    It's a VPS just for backup purpose.

  • It seems the temporary files got virus, you should try to delete them first?

    Thanked by 1comXyz

    ✔️Ryzen 3900X VPS with free ClientExec from 15USD per year! 👈 Affiliate link ⚡
    ✔️SellSSL.com - Sectigo PositiveSSL from 15 USD per year!

  • @giang said:
    It seems the temporary files got virus, you should try to delete them first?

    I exit Google Drive, deleted the temp folder, did a full scan --> nothing found.
    Then I open Google Drive, the same problem happens

  • DPDP Member, The Domain Guy

    @comXyz said: I did full scan with Windows Defender and Malware Byte, didn't find anything.

    Online or offline?

    There's a difference.

    Thanked by 1comXyz

    DP - Tech and Hosting-related Domain Names for sale.
    Create an account on Dynadot via my referral link and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!

  • @DP said:

    @comXyz said: I did full scan with Windows Defender and Malware Byte, didn't find anything.

    Online or offline?

    There's a difference.

    Oh you mean the option "Microsoft Defender Offline scan"?
    Let me try

  • @comXyz said:

    @giang said:
    It seems the temporary files got virus, you should try to delete them first?

    I exit Google Drive, deleted the temp folder, did a full scan --> nothing found.
    Then I open Google Drive, the same problem happens

    Then it seems your files in the cloud got virus...

    ✔️Ryzen 3900X VPS with free ClientExec from 15USD per year! 👈 Affiliate link ⚡
    ✔️SellSSL.com - Sectigo PositiveSSL from 15 USD per year!

  • the desktop client is sycing/downloading files from your google drive, one of those files has what windows defender thinks is a virus. You will need to deal with that file within the web client, or you can temporarily disable defender and let google drive download all of your files, then use defender to idenity the file locally.

    the desktop client downloads the blob first temporarily, then moves/renames the file into your local google drive location.

    Thanked by 1comXyz
  • I've deleted everything on web client and it's working well without the ransomware warning.

  • I use Google drive for desktop but haven't faced this issue. Maybe you need a full scan for your files, your desktop might be in threat.

  • Definitely something wrong with the new Google Drive for Desktop

    The folder has only an auto backup of a blank SQL database for testing.

    I uninstalled Google Drive for Desktop, then test with Backup and Sync, no issues

Sign In or Register to comment.