Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you set a proper host name on your idlers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

I personally don't. I don't have any apps that require a hostname neither. My mail server is under mxroute so email deliverability isn't an issue. How about yours?

1. *48 votes
    1. Yes
      66.67%
    2. No
      33.33%

Comments

• edited September 2021

Yes, use naming convention as my vps more than 15

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

In the past, each server gets A and AAAA records in DNS.
    It's used when I ssh, and every deployed service refers to the VPS via CNAME.

Now I generate ssh_config that maps hostname into IP address.
    Every deployed service has A and AAAA records directly.
    This can reduce DNS resolution latency slightly, and allow using different IPv6 address for each service.

Hostname is set locally on the server, as well as in SolusVM or Virtualizor.
    WHMCS may show a different hostname though, but I generally have only one server at each provider, so this isn't a major problem.

• Every device (or VM) that allows me to set its hostname has unique name :)

• Yes. I name them like my pets.

• Yes, every host get A and AAAA. If possible, also PTR.
    I have templates that add every node into Icinga for monitoring, so as long as I set a valid hostname according to naming convention everything else is automated.

• I bought a cheapest domain with easy to remember word (like vps.social - this domain is availabe), then set hostname = subdomain for each VPS. (subdomain like: racknerd1.vps.social...)

So I can easy to access.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy