Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Docker: Subscription Service Agreement
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Docker: Subscription Service Agreement

defaultdefault Veteran
edited September 2021 in General

I just got this email from Docker:

Hi there,

You’re receiving this email because we’re updating the terms applicable to the Docker products or services you use.

What you need to know:

• All of Docker’s products and services are now covered by a new set of terms - the Docker Subscription Service Agreement.
  • Docker subscriptions now encompass four tiers of service: Personal, Pro, Team, and Business (a new tier of service). Each tier includes Docker Desktop.
  • The existing Docker Free subscription has been renamed Docker Personal. Docker Desktop remains free for personal use, education, non-commercial open source projects, and small businesses (fewer than 250 employees AND less than $10M USD in annual revenue).
  • Commercial use of Docker Desktop in larger enterprises (more than 250 employees OR more than $10 million USD in annual revenue) requires a Docker Pro, Team or Business subscription for as little as $5 per user per month.
  • Docker Business is a new offering for organizations using Docker at scale for application development and requiring additional features like centralized management and secure software supply chain capabilities.

The new terms take effect on August 31, 2021 with a grace period until January 31, 2022 for those that will require a paid subscription to continue using Docker Desktop. By continuing to use Docker, you are agreeing to the new Docker Subscription Service Agreement.

Please make sure to read the updates to the Docker Subscription Service Agreement. For more information about these changes please visit our FAQ, attend our upcoming webinar, and see our recent blog post.

Thanked by 2ascicode adly

Comments

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited September 2021

Cool story, bro.

Edit: So fast! Emailed on Sept 1 and new terms already in effect the day prior. One last FU to the freeloaders.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I thought they had a community edition...docker-ce, which is in the Debian repos. Or is that what "Personal" is now? No it can't be because docker-ce is under the Apache license.

I don't mind the freemium model at all but hate when companies make it a treasure hunt to find info.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

So we can still use the 'personal' license If we make less than $10 mil? I make a lot less. :blush:

• @raindog308 said:
    I thought they had a community edition...docker-ce, which is in the Debian repos. Or is that what "Personal" is now? No it can't be because docker-ce is under the Apache license.

I don't mind the freemium model at all but hate when companies make it a treasure hunt to find info.

I believe the main change here is directed towards Docker Desktop. I see this a lot being installed in orgs as default developer software. They're trying to target those enterprises that are using it for a quick and easy deployment of Docker. But all the orgs I have been in have only used Docker Dekstop as a bootstrap to install Docker; I don't think I have seen anyone use any of the embedded features...

Other than that, doesn't look like any major new changes to terms as anything below that and the "subscriptions" doesn't change.

• Screw docker, all my homies use lxd.

• It’s funny how they mention “Docker” but actually mean “Docker Desktop” which is nothing more than a bloated UI with annoying alerts.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Should try woodKubernetes.
    https://github.com/Ne00n/woodKubernetes