Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lowend Portal. One interface to rule them all
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lowend Portal. One interface to rule them all

So here's a random thought. What if there were one great portal of lowend. Imagine every offer posted here and the process of buying and managing happens in a centralised panel but the actual stock is hosted by the provider. I imagine a frontend that fires API calls to something that the provider hosts so the customer data is kept separately for every customer per company. Ideally the storage and configuration can be multi-homed between providers in a manner that is encrypted but once the provider is about to deadpool they can push a button and transfer it to one who has space (customer approved a selection of providers?)

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Ok do it!

You have my $7 to start off with.

• I'll gladly slap $0.7.

• my budget $7 yearly.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Though the idea sounds good & would obviously benefit the low end community but it involves a lot of grave challenges which I suppose will never be solved.

Someone just has to be crazy enough to take up this project & get it done. Maybe it'll go good, maybe it'll sink but sounds good.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

This questions comes up a lot. There must be demand for it, but no one seems to do it.

• Ryzen deals for $7

• @Woet serverhunter

• What will happen in case of a breach, support query, script failures. Idea is really good, but limited vendors support and multiple non technical issues are also there....

• yes it wont be easy but maybe part of the fun. just throwing up some ideas

1. Check out Mist
    2. Check out libcloud
    3. Write a driver for your favorite lowend provider
    4. Profit

But that's the least of your problems, biggest problem would be getting providers to enable APIs for their billing/management panels.

• @jmgcaguicla said:
    1. Check out Mist
    2. Check out libcloud
    3. Write a driver for your favorite lowend provider
    4. Profit

But that's the least of your problems, biggest problem would be getting providers to enable APIs for their billing/management panels.

I thought the biggest problem was the business model. I would think this just lowers the bottom line while adding cost/overhead.

• DazzleDazzle Member
    edited September 2021

Is this concept similar with cloud.net some times ago?

Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20161207032445/https://www.cloud.net/

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

I mean this respectfully, but it sounds like a headache. What is the incentive for someone to develop, maintain and host such a platform? Do they get a cut of the sales generated from it? Are they collecting data from the platform and it's users and sharing it or using it for their own gain?

Seems like a lot of work.

• Just use Ansible with any GUI (portal).