Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dystopia Much?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dystopia Much?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Here's a picture of the Apple store in Portland, Oregon. It's like other Apple stores - gleaming glass outside, giant screens inside showing off the latest luxury tech.

Only this one is a little different. They've ringed the entire store with 20' metal fencing (because of rioting), and there are armed guards patrolling the perimeter. If you want to get in, you have to pass through a single narrow fence entrance where a guard examines you. Once inside, it's the usual pleasant lounge with soft music, friendly people, high-tech displays, and middle class consumers shopping.

However, the surrounding streets are filled with homeless tents (tons of them, from singles to small clusters), graffiti'd walls, stores with boarded windows (no sense permanently replacing until we see if antifa is going to riot again), human excrement, and the wandering mentally ill.

It's like a scene out of Cyberpunk 2020. It's so future dystopian it's rather startling - the gated/protected community of elysian technology and the surrounding chaos. Oh, and there's a plague, too.

apple-store

Thanked by 2Abd that_guy

Comments

• gg no re

• Shitty leaders letting shitty people do whatever they want. I had a friend that lived in Portland but they ended up moving to Texas not long after the riots last year. He was already planning to move but not that early, dude just wanted to get out of there. I've heard that it's getting better with the homeless problems but all the political LARPing is still going strong.

• @dystopia said:
    Shitty leaders letting shitty people do whatever they want. I had a friend that lived in Portland but they ended up moving to Texas not long after the riots last year. He was already planning to move but not that early, dude just wanted to get out of there. I've heard that it's getting better with the homeless problems but all the political LARPing is still going strong.

portland is a political shit show lol, though places like LA aren't far off, in the midwest like texas you get a lot of political shit on the other side like antivax etc.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Everyone thinks their generation will be the one to blow up everything they've built. Some are right.

• Lots of commies having iPhones is ironic.

Thanked by 2raindog308 ViridWeb
  • This is clearly the anti fascist protection fence meant to protect the citizens of Portland.

• @raindog308 said:
    riot

It's not a riot. Its a mostly peaceful protest.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2021

I don't know if anyone noticed, but corporations started building walls around themselves. The pit between richness and poverty is bigger and bigger, as work exploitation rises and middle class gets smaller. While things become more hopeless for the majority of people which struggle as they get closer to poverty, probability for riots increases, so rich people started to get worried.

This is why I believe the end is nigh. Money is issued without any cover to preserve the status quo. One day all this will explode, which is why leaders of corporations have luxury bunkers prepared.

Thanked by 2jar that_guy
    edited August 2021

@default said:
    I don't know if anyone noticed, but corporations started building walls around themselves. The pit between richness and poverty is bigger and bigger, as work exploitation rises and middle class gets smaller. While things become more hopeless for the majority of people which struggle as they get closer to poverty, probability for riots increases, so rich people started to get worried.

This is why I believe the end is nigh. Money is issued without any cover to preserve the status quo. One day all this will explode, which is why leaders of corporations have luxury bunkers prepared.

You know the ultimate time travel story is where you set out to change the future, and in your effort to do so you end up being the cause of the events you wanted to stop. Seems equally relevant. Nothing seems to be accelerating this faster than the actions of those discontent with it.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • I came across the phenomenon of doubling down as it were when doing some research into some religions/sects. For example the charismatic leaders would predict the world would end on a specific year or day.
    Obviously the world wouldn't end so they would push forward the date which would come and go as well. So instead of admitting they were wrong they would move the goalpost and say the world actually ended spiritually instead or some such nonsense. Maybe half the followers would leave the sect at that point and for the others that remained they would double down and have renewed faith.

The relevance here is I thought that communism basically died after the fall of the Berlin wall but then I hear that many communists doubled down and continued to infiltrate all kinds of organizations. Church, Government, Education, Media, Military, NGOs etc... And then you end up with a situation like Portland. Government sympathetic to far left causes. Political candidates wearing mass murdering communist dictators on their outfit.

Its kind of strange to observe.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Well, when the police are few and far between and limited in their ability of what they can do, when the local DA doesn't care about 'petty theft', when your biggest customer base is under the mindsight that theft from corporations is okay because "that's why companies have insurance" and you are always an inch away from civil unrest it makes sense.

Unfortunately, many mom and pop shops don't have the resources Apple does to protect their businesses when no one else will. They will fail, and the big corporations everyone hates will thrive. They will survive COVID restrictions while others fail. They will survive unrest where others do not.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jar said: You know the ultimate time travel story is where you set out to change the future, and in your effort to do so you end up being the cause of the events you wanted to stop.

@jar what did you do...

Thanked by 1jar
  • FoulFoul Member
    edited August 2021

@raindog308

The fencing has been up there since the whole riots were going down in Portland for BLM.

I was there in march, the fencing was there, was there last week, and the fencing was still the same thing.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Black iPhones Matter

Thanked by 2MannDude TimboJones
  • trycatchthistrycatchthis Member
    edited August 2021

@Foul said:
    BLM

Patrisse Cullors - Co Founder of BLM
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrisse_Cullors

Eric Mann - Former member of the Weathermen (terrorist group) mentor to Patrisse Cullors
    Same video 10:16
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Mann

They aren't even hiding it.

• @Harambe said:
    Black iPhones Matter

Just my imagine

In this way, it should be suspected that the “Illuminati” infiltrated the two warring parties, namely Antifa (BLM) and Proud Boys.
    both affected propaganda by one director

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2021

Portland simply shows what happens when "liberal" mentally and socially rotten idiots reign over idiots and thugs.
    And that apple store shows that corporation joining the "liberal" idiocy (for their own reasons) actually act NIMBY, or in that case, 'not in my shop and at my shop front'.

Plus, oh well, the Apple sect members have accepted and tolerated worse than an entry screening. So what.

I put "liberal" in quote marks because "Agree with us, or else we'll hunt you down and burn your car/house/neighbourhood and/or loot and destroy your business" is about as liberal as cows are good at math.

But then, who am I to criticize them? After all the blue states' politsters have been elected, so it seems the people, like in a restaurant, are just getting what they ordered.

• @pedagang said:
    Proud Boys.

I'm not quite sure how Proud boys are still a thing.

Because the Canadian government moved so swiftly to label them a terrorist group (without them even having much of a presence in Canada or to my knowledge having committed any terrorist attacks in Canada or anywhere else for that matter). Anyone donating to them is aiding a terrorist organization and is thus open to all kinds of bad stuff. They kicked out the Leader recently because they cant trust him having worked with the FBI before.

FBI informants be setting people up it seems.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Foul said: The fencing has been up there since the whole riots were going down in Portland for BLM.

I go downtown only as a last resort so I haven't been by that store since pre-covid.

Thanked by 1Foul
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2021

@trycatchthis said:

@pedagang said:
    Proud Boys.

Because the Canadian government moved so swiftly to label them a terrorist group (without them even having much of a presence in Canada or to my knowledge having committed any terrorist attacks in Canada or anywhere else for that matter). Anyone donating to them is aiding a terrorist organization and is thus open to all kinds of bad stuff. They kicked out the Leader recently because they cant trust him having worked with the FBI before.

In fact, probably the best way to very significantly decrease terrorism in the USA would be to shut down the FBI and to then do a serious investigation against all of their (then former) staff and to put all criminal or involved in or instigating crime or terrorism in jail.

• @trycatchthis said:

@pedagang said:
    Proud Boys.

radicalism is part of the american culture, pros/cons, but a very different political climate than canada.

• oregon governor election november 2022 it's too long
    agree .. it's covid tension, people restless

• @pedagang said:
    oregon governor election november 2022 it's too long
    agree .. it's covid tension, people restless

Haven't people been trying to provoke a revolution there for like 100+ years now.
    What makes you think its gonna stop after an election?

• FoulFoul Member
    edited August 2021

@raindog308 said: I go downtown only as a last resort so I haven't been by that store since pre-covid.

Yeah, way best to avoid downtown.

• @trycatchthis said:
    Haven't people been trying to provoke a revolution there for like 100+ years now.
    What makes you think its gonna stop after an election?

because
    it's all about drama ... and who gets the benefit.

• this is politics

• Cyberpunk isn’t a future dystopia.

It’s America today.

Corporations run the government and set the agenda.

Thanked by 2jar that_guy

@jamesrat said:
    Cyberpunk isn’t a future dystopia.

It’s America today.

Corporations run the government and set the agenda.

Funny part is it's the people who grew up yelling that the corporations controlled the government that now control the corporations that run the government.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited August 2021

@raindog308 said:
    Here's a picture of the Apple store in Portland, Oregon. It's like other Apple stores - gleaming glass outside, giant screens inside showing off the latest luxury tech.

Only this one is a little different. They've ringed the entire store with 20' metal fencing (because of rioting), and there are armed guards patrolling the perimeter. If you want to get in, you have to pass through a single narrow fence entrance where a guard examines you. Once inside, it's the usual pleasant lounge with soft music, friendly people, high-tech displays, and middle class consumers shopping.

However, the surrounding streets are filled with homeless tents (tons of them, from singles to small clusters), graffiti'd walls, stores with boarded windows (no sense permanently replacing until we see if antifa is going to riot again), human excrement, and the wandering mentally ill.

It's like a scene out of Cyberpunk 2020. It's so future dystopian it's rather startling - the gated/protected community of elysian technology and the surrounding chaos. Oh, and there's a plague, too.

apple-store

Did The Simpson's do an episode like this?

@jsg said:

@trycatchthis said:

@pedagang said:
    Proud Boys.

In fact, probably the best way to very significantly decrease terrorism in the USA would be to shut down the FBI and to then do a serious investigation against all of their (then former) staff and to put all criminal or involved in or instigating crime or terrorism in jail.

This is just.... SMH

• We have a homeless problem in my area, too. I have no problem helping the down and out and even the drug addicts that want help, but fuck all the ones who CHOOSE to live a homeless lifestyle and doing it in a big "fuck you" way.

They made several homeless camps in our town, fucking with the people around them with crime and drugs (needles on the ground). Took at least three million to clean up the hazardous area, not to mention the lawyers and town hall meetings, etc.

For me, I get triggered when they slowly jaywalk 20ft from an intersection with cross walks, without watching or caring about traffic. Even if the driver is 0% at fault, I know if I ran over a homeless person I'd be mentally fucked the rest of my life.

I feel bad for the Tim Horton's workers. The homeless and drug people are there day and night.

Thanked by 1redcat