Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft Raising O365 Fees (10%-25% Depending on Product)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft Raising O365 Fees (10%-25% Depending on Product)

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

https://lowendbox.com/blog/microsoft-raising-fees-for-office-365/

Product Old Monthly Price New Monthly Price
Microsoft 365 Business Basic $5 $6
Microsoft 365 Business Premium $20 $22
Office 365 E1 $8 $10
Office 365 E3 $20 $23
Office 365 E5 $35 $38
Microsoft 365 E3 $32 $36

Comments

• Everybody could see this coming from a mile away.

• Microsoft teams is currently the only killer app.
    Everyone uses Google sheets nowadays + there is always open office (I meant libre office)

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Was bound to happen eventually - 10% rise over 10 years is below inflation, small increase is definitely worth it for me though.

• LeviLevi Member

Product suite is mature enough and adopted well in business. Time to bank on. Now gsuite will also increase price.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Who thought ten years ago that Microsoft was going to again become the most influential technology company in the world, again. Just incredible the power they have in 2021.

Thanked by 2alilet JasonM
  • @jbiloh said: Who thought ten years ago that Microsoft was going to again become the most influential technology company in the world, again. Just incredible the power they have in 2021.

PMSing over a $2/mo increase, really?

@stevewatson301 said:

@jbiloh said: Who thought ten years ago that Microsoft was going to again become the most influential technology company in the world, again. Just incredible the power they have in 2021.

The price increases are hardly limited to Office 365.

Overall though, it was less a complaint and more a stated observation.

• @jbiloh said:
    Who thought ten years ago that Microsoft was going to again become the most influential technology company in the world, again. Just incredible the power they have in 2021.

It’s dangerous to have so much power in such few hands.

• @codelock said:
    Microsoft teams is currently the only killer app.
    Everyone uses Google sheets nowadays + there is always open office (I meant libre office)

Company still relies on Microsoft office, and for most profitable companies, $23 are not considered money.

• @codelock said:

Business users prefers MS products, due to Office etc. I read in some online journal that Microsoft has 100+ million paying customers while Google has only 30 million on Workspaces (gsuite).

@TheKiller said:

@codelock said:

Business users prefers MS products, due to Office etc. I read in some online journal that Microsoft has 100+ million paying customers while Google has only 30 million on Workspaces (gsuite).

G Suite still isn't a 1:1 replacement for the office productivity suite in my mind.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jbiloh said: Who thought ten years ago that Microsoft was going to again become the most influential technology company in the world, again. Just incredible the power they have in 2021.

If you go back to the late aughts, people assumed Microsoft was a dead man walking. Linux was eviscerating their datacenter presence, they'd flopped several times on online services, Google had demonstrated that a lot of things that you needed desktop software for could be done on the desktop, etc.

Fast forward and in 2021 they're the world's largest cloud company. They even flopped with Azure out of the gate and its initial PaaS strategy. And Azure debuted after Google Cloud and AWS.

@redcat said: It’s dangerous to have so much power in such few hands.

How so? They're big but so are their competitors. Seems like healthy competition to me.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited August 2021

@codelock said:

While I use both, excel has more features.

• @codelock said: Microsoft teams is currently the only killer app.

Annoyingly slow killer.

• @stevewatson301 said:

So when you're a company of more than one person, say 10,000 for example, the $2/mo increase hits harder. With Microsoft you have to pay to play and as folks have referenced, Microsoft Office is the industry standard.

• @jbiloh said: Who thought ten years ago that Microsoft was going to again become the most influential technology company in the world, again. Just incredible the power they have in 2021.

Indeed! I thought they've done with Windows OS & MS Word Excel and they limit it their itself. Later they launched Outlook online, One drive, and other Office products slowly gaining attention and now Azure is leading reliable platform.

One thing I like about MS products is they don't shut them down in-between! vs Google products which have no concrete future.

• We were considering MS O365 versus Google apps versus Zoho. Signed up with Zoho. Support was most responsive for our (current) 5 member team. Proce was not the criterion- as has been mentioned, for larger teams/ enterprise, the price hike will have a greater impact.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@jbiloh said:

@TheKiller said:

@codelock said:

G Suite still isn't a 1:1 replacement for the office productivity suite in my mind.

Fantastic point.

G Suite isn't a 1:1 replacement for anything in the Microsoft 365 ecosystem imho. I've administered very large tenants on both platforms and have always found that business requirements make Google's offerings less attractive.

G Suite has better collaborative tools, but they aren't that regularly used in a large enterprise environment from my experience - people like familiarity, and they like their .xlm from 2003 to still work as it has forever.

365's integration with Azure Active Directory, use of Exchange, services like InTune and Azure Information Protection make it the clear leader for me.

As an aside, Microsoft's support have always been super helpful. Having someone in the UK at the end of a phone is a very big selling point for me.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Inflation is here and growing. The era of ever dropping prices has come to an end.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@redcat said:
    Everybody could see this coming from a mile away.

What do you expect- inflation this year is higher than any other.