Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can all offer threads be Sink? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can all offer threads be Sink?

13»

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Devil said:

• Give an option to every forum user obliterate/hide/remove a post from their view forever - any new comment etc on that doesn't really matter (even a direct reply to the user which will anyway will turn up in their notification)
    • Do not give old posts same weightage as active/recent posts
    • Limit active offer posts by a user to very nice number 1 (provider, or anything)
    • More importantly - have sections (not just tags in the one section): OFFERS, OFF-TOPIC, CHIT-CHAT, BS, INTIMATE, SWEET-NOTHINGS, whatever.
    • Let a user decide what will on their home/front page - you can always override that for notice/announcements
    • Charging some token or reasonable amount from offer posters maybe?

There are forum softwares already for this I guess - some of them are FOSS.

@jbiloh said: Maybe you'll reconsider in the future then. Ad revenue is critical to supporting everything that goes into our community.

Hey, what about removing tracking and invasive elements from the ads? Ads are never good but the most of the issues don't come from the ads itself but the tracking behind it.

@Francisco said: If you want this place to be a spam fest of 'thanks have some bandwidth' and crap

Thanks for saying that.

I always looked at those decades old (hyperbole) threads suddenly on the front page (sometimes for days and weeks) thinking ah looks like there's offer update only to find out people are talking about their cats, hamsters, and weather in an imaginary location inside a FPS game aka spam/crap.

Great suggestions, thank you for that. We are actively reviewing options internally to continue to improve our current process related to offers. I always appreciate well thought out suggestions like yours.

Regarding AdTracking, all Ads on LowEndBox and LowEndTalk are either:

1. Direct placement with no integrated tracking (other than a referral link in the href)
    2. Purchased through BSA, which is pretty light tracking compared to what the majors do these days (Google, Apple, Facebook, etc).
    Thanked by 2Devil bulbasaur
  • WSWDWSWD Member, Host Rep

There's nothing to look at internally. You just take all the posts with ticket numbers, quadruple my bandwidth, your bandwidth has been quadrupled, and all the other bullshit that should take place on the provider's helpdesk, and you make them do it on their helpdesk....where it belongs.

Reviewing options internally? This isn't rocket science here. What...are you trying to land somebody on the moon?

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@WSWD said: What...are you trying to land somebody on the moon?

No, just drag it out past Cyber Monday 2021.

The original threads/discussions started right after last Black Friday.

Francisco

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • @Francisco said:

@WSWD said: What...are you trying to land somebody on the moon?

No, just drag it out past Cyber Monday 2021.

The original threads/discussions started right after last Black Friday.

Francisco

Cyber Monday is an ancient Chinese mjj scam.

• @jbiloh said: Purchased through BSA, which is pretty light tracking compared to what the majors do these days (Google, Apple, Facebook, etc).

Only thing I agree with on this thread.
    The only problem is the annoyance factors of these ads, I've been generally happy to support websites as they are static images such as the ServerMania ads.

• I think sinking any thread is a scam. Just let them all bob back to the top willy nilly. Will trigger more people and generate less scams.

• @dahartigan said:
    I think sinking any thread is a scam. Just let them all bob back to the top willy nilly. Will trigger more people and generate less scams.

You can necro-ed them. Thank you.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @dahartigan said:
    I think sinking any thread is a scam. Just let them all bob back to the top willy nilly. Will trigger more people and generate less scams.

So you want the whole frontpage to be about You-Know-Who?

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • @default said:

@dahartigan said:

It's all about the money. See his (or her) signature, follow the link and see who he's promoting.

• @stevewatson301 said:

@default said:

@dahartigan said:

It's all about the money. See his (or her) signature, follow the link and see who he's promoting.

And buy your wares from my site

• @default said:

@dahartigan said:

No, the other providers need to quit their complaining and get more exposure.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2021

@dahartigan said:

If everyone was doing it, the rules would quickly be changed to disallow it. Maybe that's the solution instead of trying to convince Jon.

Thanks for your post, I've doubled your rules and hostdoc affiliate revenue

• @jackb said:

@dahartigan said:

If everyone was doing it, the rules would quickly be changed to disallow it. Maybe that's the solution instead of trying to convince Jon.

Thanks for your post, I've doubled your rules.

I don't see how anyone could expect anything less. You guys are supposed to be running businesses, figure it out.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2021

@dahartigan said:
    I don't see how anyone could expect anything less. You guys are supposed to be running businesses, figure it out.

I'm here to shit post and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of gum.

We've never posted an offer on LET. Featured on LEB once or twice about 10 years ago.

• @jackb said:

@dahartigan said:

I'm here to shit post and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of gum.

We've never posted an offer on LET. Featured on LEB once or twice about 10 years ago.

Exclude yourself from my remark then, and proceed shit posting. I thank you for your service.

Your bubblegum has been doubled.

Thanked by 2jackb WSWD
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2021

@dahartigan said:

@jackb said:

@dahartigan said:

It was figured out, by letting the offers sink after 1 week. A provider can post another offer after 10 days from initial offer (according to rules), giving 3 days from the date of sink, till the next offer. This way the provider would almost always have 1 active topic on front page if that provider would come with new offers every 10 days, which should be great in terms of exposure.

• @default said:

@dahartigan said:

@jackb said:

@dahartigan said:

It was figured out, by letting the offers sink after 1 week. A provider can post another offer after 10 days from initial offer, giving 3 days from the date of sink, till the next offer. This way the provider would have 1 active topic on front page, if that provider would come with new offers every 10 days, which should be great in terms of exposure.

Evidently that changed, so here we are.

Providers not taking advantage of this are deliberately doing themselves a disservice.

Admins who can still sink threads, if you feel it's best to sink Dustin's threads, just do it in protest of Jon.

Otherwise this is all sour grapes providers and individuals with OCD making useless protests that achieve nothing - meanwhile Dustin is 3 steps ahead with his next threads..

Wake up people ;)

Thanked by 1default
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@BlaZe said:

@jbiloh said:

@default said: Wish you'd treat providers equally, and respect the voice of community from the poll you organized. Vox populi, vox Dei.

Maybe you'll reconsider in the future then. Ad revenue is critical to supporting everything that goes into our community.

Just start charging spammy/heavy marketing host(s) so that their offer threads don't sink. Each thread - $150/week.

10 spammy offer threads - $1500/week

$1500 x 4 = $6000/mo

LET won't require to survive on ad income then ;)

Modern problems, require modern solutions B-)

Quoting my own thread again, since I'm not good at marketing but I'm learning it from the pros.