Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

June 2021 has passed and Google Photos counts new media towards storage - What's your solution? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

June 2021 has passed and Google Photos counts new media towards storage - What's your solution?

13»

Comments

• @Ympker said:

@doghouch said:

@Ympker said:

@yoursunny said:

@Ympker said:
    bite the apple
    I love Google Photos

If you bite the apple, you should be paying for iCloud.

First, take fewer photos, set lower resolution, and delete badly framed photos on the bus.
    1440x1080 is enough for photos that you do not intend to print.

Then, they are copied to HDD on home router.
    It's accessible via SAMBA in my room, and via HTTPS (Basic authentication, download only) anywhere.
    I have daily automated backup to HostHatch 250GB big plate chicken, and monthly manual backup to another HDD that is normally offline.

None of my photos were on Google Photos or iCloud.
    I post them on Facebook (full resolution) and Windows Live SkyDrive (800x600 to save storage) for sharing.

Not sure I would want to use iCloud as I don't use any Apple device tbh. But what I am currently doing is compressing my taken photos using Shortpixel's (new) Android App which seems to work quite good (reducing file size while maintaining quality). I have also only yet the "camera" folder from my phone to get saved to Google Fotos automatically (so nothing from WhatsApp Media/Download folder) ends up adding to the storage limit. However, I often take random photos with my phone's cam that I don't really need to be saved in the Cloud (like a photo from a chair) but that still get saved automatically. I might just disable automatic save at this point and compress&select images prior to uploading going forward.

jxvaz.jpg

Wait… the app overrides your old photos?

Side note: I bit the “Apple” years ago and iCloud is so darn convenient lol

I wish they’d add a 1 TB plan though — even years of 4K video only uses ~260 GB

Yeah, it overrides ols photos to safe disk space :)

Honestly iCloud does the same lol — a lower resolution “thumbnail” of sorts is stored while the original is uploaded to the cloud.

I’d probably do the same as you, but still upload the originals somewhere before compressing them to crap on my device.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @nvme said:

@hacktek said:

@nvme said:

@Baris said:
    I bought 2TB of Google One space over VPN in Turkey for 29 Euro (yearly) and created additional accounts to share the space with my family.

Because of the economical crisis in Turkey you can make pretty good deals there on Google Services (also bought YouTube Premium/YouTube Music for very cheap).

I have to check out if I can buy multiple years of service, the exchange rate right now is very favourable for people from Europe.

Last time I checked for a selfhosted alternative I was rather disappointed. I like Google Photos and will keep using in the future (in combination with my monthly own backup).

I have been doing this for Netflix :smiley:
    So, are you accessing your account over Turkey VPN or just from your home broadband?

Wait what.

I can create a Netflix account while connected to a Turkish (and apparently Argentinian) VPN and pay 90% less than what I pay now? What sorcery is this? Can I do it with may main account where I already have my profiles and whatnot?

Yeah, you will have to cancel your existing subscription first and wait till last day.
    Then use Turkish VPN and sign up.
    It costs about 55 TRY, which is ~$6.5 for 4 screen plan. It use to be just 40 TRY, there was hike in prices like 2-3 months back.

Netflix expired today so went to renew. Tried several VPNs from both Turkey and Argentina, no dice. I get "There was an error processing your payment information. Please check that all fields are filled out correctly and try again.".

Might be my bank being an ass.

• @hacktek said:

@nvme said:

@hacktek said:

@nvme said:

@Baris said:
    I bought 2TB of Google One space over VPN in Turkey for 29 Euro (yearly) and created additional accounts to share the space with my family.

Because of the economical crisis in Turkey you can make pretty good deals there on Google Services (also bought YouTube Premium/YouTube Music for very cheap).

I have to check out if I can buy multiple years of service, the exchange rate right now is very favourable for people from Europe.

Last time I checked for a selfhosted alternative I was rather disappointed. I like Google Photos and will keep using in the future (in combination with my monthly own backup).

So, are you accessing your account over Turkey VPN or just from your home broadband?

Wait what.

I can create a Netflix account while connected to a Turkish (and apparently Argentinian) VPN and pay 90% less than what I pay now? What sorcery is this? Can I do it with may main account where I already have my profiles and whatnot?

Yeah, you will have to cancel your existing subscription first and wait till last day.
    It costs about 55 TRY, which is ~$6.5 for 4 screen plan. It use to be just 40 TRY, there was hike in prices like 2-3 months back.

Netflix expired today so went to renew. Tried several VPNs from both Turkey and Argentina, no dice. I get "There was an error processing your payment information. Please check that all fields are filled out correctly and try again.".

Is it showing prices in TL? Then VPN is working.
    If not, try using "Hide my Ip" from chrome store or get cheap Turky vps for a month.
    For payment, I faced issue since it was international transaction. I had to enable it and then it worked.

• Just installed PhotoPrism.

• @nvme said:

@hacktek said:

@nvme said:

@hacktek said:

@nvme said:

@Baris said:

Wait what.

Is it showing prices in TL? Then VPN is working.
    If not, try using "Hide my Ip" from chrome store or get cheap Turky vps for a month.
    For payment, I faced issue since it was international transaction. I had to enable it and then it worked.

Yup, also had problems with my CC from my house bank. Tried my Revolut CC after that and it worked without problems.

• I would just buy Google One subscription - https://one.google.com/about

Isn't iCloud basically a google cloud reseller ? https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/06/29/apple-is-now-googles-largest-corporate-customer-for-cloud-storage

• Guys, you can try any one of my websites to store all your albums. See my signature :)

• @imgmoney said:
    Guys, you can try any one of my websites to store all your albums

best choice XDDDDDDDDDD