Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

June 2021 has passed and Google Photos counts new media towards storage - What's your solution? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

June 2021 has passed and Google Photos counts new media towards storage - What's your solution?

Comments

• @Maounique said:

@default said: I have some trust in small providers

You mean you trust they don't know how to extract it :P

No. I trust they don't care to extract it.

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

I personally never used Google Photos but I used to use OneDrive since it had auto backup option for my Samsung Phone. Now I have a simple Nextcloud instance for everything including photos.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • codelockcodelock Member
    edited August 2021

This is what my google photo looks like since a year , I don't want to back it up
    (Full of only photos of my notebook/assignment etc)
    (P.S if you find any readable information revealing my identity please let me know )

Edit : removed image don't want to risk it.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2021

@codelock said:
    This is what my google photo looks like since a year , I don't want to back it up
    (P.S of you find any readable information revealing my identity please let me know )

There is no need, we already know who you are.

Clues:

• mathematics because of formulas;
    • notebook style;
    • not using math-notebook;
    • writing fast, to catch information;
    • no precision on how you put that information;
    • no care for space to improve efficiency;
    • focused on the essentials;
    • desk without cover or some protection;
    • cheap blue pen but with some style as per your wanted color;
    • mistakes covered with with pen smudges, instead of proper cut in parenthesis for openness;
    • and my favorite: the formulas themselves.

You are so caught. Sadly, I can't come to ask for a beer, because you are too far.

EDIT: If I know, so does Google's Artificial Intelligence scanner.

• @default said:

@codelock said:
    (P.S of you find any readable information revealing my identity please let me know )

Clues:

Yes

• notebook style;

Do people actually use those stupid notebooks with squares drawn on pages? Here , they are only used for small childrens

• writing fast, to catch information

Writing fast because I want to get over with it

Higher order integration is very lengthy (more like big ) to fit an expression in one line so sacrifices need to me made, also I am focused on solving the question not my handwriting or presentation and over all this years I have found no one gives a sh!t as long as your answer /approach/methods are correct atleast in mathematics

I hate calculus

Surface of desk is quite smooth +I am not using big ass mouse pad because I have to take engineering drawing this semester and drawing on a A2 paper with 5mm lead pencil is impossible on a soft surface.

Really cheap pens like 15 for 1 usd so I am not worried about losing it (don't know how I loose 1 pen every 2 days don't know where they go I just keep them on my desk need to find out)

• mistakes covered with with pen smudges, instead of proper cut in parenthesis for openness;

Do you really think I would let them see how stupid mistakes I make ,

I don't know why someone would be interested in calculus but , I think those questions were related to this
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy–Euler_equation

You are so caught. Sadly, I can't come to ask for a beer, because you are too far.

Alcohol is banned where I live 😞

• @codelock said:

@default said:

@codelock said:

Clues:

Yes

• notebook style;

Do people actually use those stupid notebooks with squares drawn on pages? Here , they are only used for small childrens

• writing fast, to catch information

Writing fast because I want to get over with it

Higher order integration is very lengthy (more like big ) to fit an expression in one line so sacrifices need to me made, also I am focused on solving the question not my handwriting or presentation and over all this years I have found no one gives a sh!t as long as your answer /approach/methods are correct atleast in mathematics

I hate calculus

Surface of desk is quite smooth +I am not using big ass mouse pad because I have to take engineering drawing this semester and drawing on a A2 paper with 5mm lead pencil is impossible on a soft surface.

Really cheap pens like 15 for 1 usd so I am not worried about losing it (don't know how I loose 1 pen every 2 days don't know where they go I just keep them on my desk need to find out)

Do you really think I would let them see how stupid mistakes I make ,

I don't know why someone would be interested in calculus but , I think those questions were related to this
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy–Euler_equation

Alcohol is banned where I live 😞

Each of these choices define you. It's because you chose something, instead of something else. All this combined with how you write (like loving large letters and shortcuts, and getting stuck by subconsciousness in smaller letters within words), all defines your complex personality, because they are choices made by you and your DNA, even if you don't process it consciously. You're beautiful and unique, like every other person; but don't let Google know you.

• I've moved all the media on gphotos from my old personal account to my gsuite account. At least now I can upload stuff as original quality instead of compressed as was required for unlimited. Of course it counts towards the storage but Google doesn't enforce it, at least not on old gsuite accounts. I imagine that their new replacement for gsuite, "Workspace", doesn't let you go over the account limit.

• @Baris said:

@nvme said:
    I have been doing this for Netflix :smiley:
    So, are you accessing your account over Turkey VPN or just from your home broadband?

Hi,
    I am also using this method for Netflix :) VPNs saved me a lot of money in the past for different kind of services and software.

Some people on other boards had problems with Google over VPN because they used their freshly created account over the normal home broadband connection. They monitor you IP geolocation. They will force switch your account to the country where you connect from most of the time after a couple of months.

To prevent this you can create multiple accounts in Turkey and share your Google benefits to your "family members".

I only use my family member account to connect to the Google services (home broadband).

Somehow Google won't switch your account this way as they don't seem to care where the family members connect from. Only the paying main account (family administrator) is relevant.

@Baris
    I've done this. So the new account is in Turkey but once I try to add other "family member" aka my account it says that we are not in the same country.

• @Baris
    I've done this. So the new account is in Turkey but once I try to add other "family member" aka my account it says that we are not in the same country.

All family member accounts have to be created in the same country. You have to create additional accounts in Turkey and then invite them to the family.

You can't invite your originla private account to the family (because it is not Turkish). Just use one of the family member accounts you created in Turkey and select it in Google Photos for the backups.

Don't be irritated when you invite one of your freshly created family member accounts: You will not see any additional space in Google Photos yet.

First you have to login to Google One with your family Administrator account, go to the settings and activate Family sharing there.

After that you will see the additional space in Google Photos.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@giang said:
    Microsoft 365 seems will be a cheaper choice. I can buy a family pack for 6 account, ~ 40 USD a year from Microsoft Vietnam.

6TB + Office for 6 PCs.

Where do you buy it from, if you don't mind my asking? Would like to save some money too, instead of paying for the full asking price.

• @nvme said:

@Baris said:
    I bought 2TB of Google One space over VPN in Turkey for 29 Euro (yearly) and created additional accounts to share the space with my family.

Because of the economical crisis in Turkey you can make pretty good deals there on Google Services (also bought YouTube Premium/YouTube Music for very cheap).

I have to check out if I can buy multiple years of service, the exchange rate right now is very favourable for people from Europe.

Last time I checked for a selfhosted alternative I was rather disappointed. I like Google Photos and will keep using in the future (in combination with my monthly own backup).

So, are you accessing your account over Turkey VPN or just from your home broadband?

Wait what.

I can create a Netflix account while connected to a Turkish (and apparently Argentinian) VPN and pay 90% less than what I pay now? What sorcery is this? Can I do it with may main account where I already have my profiles and whatnot?

• nvmenvme Member

@hacktek said:

@nvme said:

@Baris said:
    I bought 2TB of Google One space over VPN in Turkey for 29 Euro (yearly) and created additional accounts to share the space with my family.

Because of the economical crisis in Turkey you can make pretty good deals there on Google Services (also bought YouTube Premium/YouTube Music for very cheap).

I have to check out if I can buy multiple years of service, the exchange rate right now is very favourable for people from Europe.

Last time I checked for a selfhosted alternative I was rather disappointed. I like Google Photos and will keep using in the future (in combination with my monthly own backup).

Wait what.

I can create a Netflix account while connected to a Turkish (and apparently Argentinian) VPN and pay 90% less than what I pay now? What sorcery is this? Can I do it with may main account where I already have my profiles and whatnot?

Yeah, you will have to cancel your existing subscription first and wait till last day.
    Then use Turkish VPN and sign up.
    It costs about 55 TRY, which is ~$6.5 for 4 screen plan. It use to be just 40 TRY, there was hike in prices like 2-3 months back.

• Wow that's crazy, I'll cancel right now. Based on what I've read looks like Argentina is slightly cheaper than that now.

• @hacktek said:
    Wow that's crazy, I'll cancel right now. Based on what I've read looks like Argentina is slightly cheaper than that now.

When you make a payment to Netflix Argentina, you will be charged a fee of about 65%
    So, in fact, Netflix Turkey is cheaper.
    (As far as I remember, the bill of 319 ARS was actually 523.2 ARS...)

• On the same note , Tidal family is also very cheap for Turkey . Check on Tidal App or website , 30 Lira monthly

• Can somebody share Google workspace link ?
    or is it on Google turkey itself ?

• nvmenvme Member

@hacktek said:
    Wow that's crazy, I'll cancel right now. Based on what I've read looks like Argentina is slightly cheaper than that now.

Argentina has extra charges, on the price that is displayed on Netflix. This - https://globelivemedia.com/world/argentina/new-tax-for-using-netflix-and-spotify-the-govt-of-the-province-of-buenos-aires-will-begin-to-apply-a-tax-from-april/

The Turkish one is cheapest.

@kuduku said:
    Can somebody share Google workspace link ?
    or is it on Google turkey itself ?

Just use Turkey VPN and visit Google One page, it shows price as 28.99 TRY per month (~$3.4 USD). Google workspace pricing is similar, so no advantage.

Thanked by 1kuduku
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Onedrive is best option as alternative

• nvmenvme Member

@WebProject said:

Yeah, It is like $75 for family account and 6 TB storage. Their network is slow sometimes, otherwise found no other issues.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2021

@hacktek said:

@nvme said:

@Baris said:

Wait what.

This is another perk of VPNs :) You often pay less based on geo-location. Flix, Tidal, Spotify (?!), YouTube Premium, Software (Affinity Suite was cheaper some time, too, for example), flights..

Check out smth like https://securethoughts.com/5-unexpected-ways-to-save-money-vpn/ or google "how to save money using vpn". Lots of stuff out there :)

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • @Baris said:

All family member accounts have to be created in the same country. You have to create additional accounts in Turkey and then invite them to the family.

You can't invite your originla private account to the family (because it is not Turkish). Just use one of the family member accounts you created in Turkey and select it in Google Photos for the backups.

Don't be irritated when you invite one of your freshly created family member accounts: You will not see any additional space in Google Photos yet.

First you have to login to Google One with your family Administrator account, go to the settings and activate Family sharing there.

After that you will see the additional space in Google Photos.

So this can ONLY be done with the new accounts created (while using VPN) in turkey? not existing google accounts (non-turkish) accounts?

I have lots of photos in my current account, creating a new account and syncing will be confusing :(

Thanked by 1Baris
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@nvme said:

@WebProject said:

Yeah, It is like $75 for family account and 6 TB storage. Their network is slow sometimes, otherwise found no other issues.

Personally never had any issue with their slow network, easily push 30Gb of data within 2 hours.

• @Chalipa said:
    So this can ONLY be done with the new accounts created (while using VPN) in turkey? not existing google accounts (non-turkish) accounts?

I have lots of photos in my current account, creating a new account and syncing will be confusing :(

Yes. All my old photos are on my private European account. After setting up my Turkish account all photos taken from this date went into the new Turkish account.

I just switch between accounts to get old photos if I need them. It is done withint seconds.

You could try out Google Takeout + some scripts to sort photos and embed metadata and reupload them to your new accoint. Or you could try out the sharing feature and add the old photos to your new Turkish library. But I have no experience with this, that's just information from a quick Google search.

Thanked by 1Chalipa
  • Love how we're all essentially googling: "how to scam google" lmao

Thanked by 2Baris BBTN
  • @Baris said:
    Yes. All my old photos are on my private European account. After setting up my Turkish account all photos taken from this date went into the new Turkish account.

I just switch between accounts to get old photos if I need them. It is done withint seconds.

You could try out Google Takeout + some scripts to sort photos and embed metadata and reupload them to your new accoint. Or you could try out the sharing feature and add the old photos to your new Turkish library. But I have no experience with this, that's just information from a quick Google search.

https://prnt.sc/1q86ytm

How did u manage to get a Turkish number to signup for google in turkey? They need it for verification.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2021

@Ympker said:

@yoursunny said:

@Ympker said:
    bite the apple
    I love Google Photos

If you bite the apple, you should be paying for iCloud.

First, take fewer photos, set lower resolution, and delete badly framed photos on the bus.
    1440x1080 is enough for photos that you do not intend to print.

Then, they are copied to HDD on home router.
    It's accessible via SAMBA in my room, and via HTTPS (Basic authentication, download only) anywhere.
    I have daily automated backup to HostHatch 250GB big plate chicken, and monthly manual backup to another HDD that is normally offline.

None of my photos were on Google Photos or iCloud.
    I post them on Facebook (full resolution) and Windows Live SkyDrive (800x600 to save storage) for sharing.

Not sure I would want to use iCloud as I don't use any Apple device tbh. But what I am currently doing is compressing my taken photos using Shortpixel's (new) Android App which seems to work quite good (reducing file size while maintaining quality). I have also only yet the "camera" folder from my phone to get saved to Google Fotos automatically (so nothing from WhatsApp Media/Download folder) ends up adding to the storage limit. However, I often take random photos with my phone's cam that I don't really need to be saved in the Cloud (like a photo from a chair) but that still get saved automatically. I might just disable automatic save at this point and compress&select images prior to uploading going forward.

jxvaz.jpg

Wait… the app overrides your old photos?

Side note: I bit the “Apple” years ago and iCloud is so darn convenient lol

I wish they’d add a 1 TB plan though — even years of 4K video only uses ~260 GB

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • bdlbdl Member

Going to self hosted using photostructure and/or photoprism. Already have photosync app for uploading from clients

Thanked by 1MGarbis
  • xkxxkx Member

@MGarbis said:
    I'm using Nextcloud. I would go with something lighter, but I don't know any good. The most important thing to me is that photos get automatically uploaded to a cloud soon after the photo is taken.

You can try Seafile.
    It's lighter and faster.

Thanked by 1MGarbis
  • @Chalipa said:

search.

https://prnt.sc/1q86ytm

How did u manage to get a Turkish number to signup for google in turkey? They need it for verification.

Try your normal number by switching the country code (flag) prefix.

• @doghouch said:

@Ympker said:

@yoursunny said:

@Ympker said:
    bite the apple
    I love Google Photos

If you bite the apple, you should be paying for iCloud.

First, take fewer photos, set lower resolution, and delete badly framed photos on the bus.
    1440x1080 is enough for photos that you do not intend to print.

Then, they are copied to HDD on home router.
    It's accessible via SAMBA in my room, and via HTTPS (Basic authentication, download only) anywhere.
    I have daily automated backup to HostHatch 250GB big plate chicken, and monthly manual backup to another HDD that is normally offline.

None of my photos were on Google Photos or iCloud.
    I post them on Facebook (full resolution) and Windows Live SkyDrive (800x600 to save storage) for sharing.

Not sure I would want to use iCloud as I don't use any Apple device tbh. But what I am currently doing is compressing my taken photos using Shortpixel's (new) Android App which seems to work quite good (reducing file size while maintaining quality). I have also only yet the "camera" folder from my phone to get saved to Google Fotos automatically (so nothing from WhatsApp Media/Download folder) ends up adding to the storage limit. However, I often take random photos with my phone's cam that I don't really need to be saved in the Cloud (like a photo from a chair) but that still get saved automatically. I might just disable automatic save at this point and compress&select images prior to uploading going forward.

jxvaz.jpg

Wait… the app overrides your old photos?

Side note: I bit the “Apple” years ago and iCloud is so darn convenient lol

I wish they’d add a 1 TB plan though — even years of 4K video only uses ~260 GB

Yeah, it overrides ols photos to safe disk space :)