Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostmantis won't honor active recurring promotional code
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostmantis won't honor active recurring promotional code

We all know the cpanel fiasco back in 2019. Almost every provider on earth is affected, including hostmantis.

They decided to not honor the recurring promotional code. Most of us has 75% off recurring discount. Which is understandable and I am totally fine with it.

When it's time to renew, I still see the promotional code (FB75OFF), but instead of 75% off, I got 50% off. Which is totally fine by me. in 2020, I upgrade my service, and still get the 50% off.

In 2021, they increase their price https://my.hostmantis.com/announcements/143/Pricing-Changes-for-2021.html

which is fine by me, no problem. They even said

All current promotional codes are unaffected/unchanged by this update.

And now, it's time to renew my service and I got a freaking full price with 0% off (about $300, for a reseller shared hosting). Of course I am opening a ticket, and demanding that they honor my recurring discount.

The billing add 25% off to my invoice. I answered no, I have 50% off. If you can't honor it, just say it.

their answer :

We do not offer any 50% off promotional codes as we no longer offer unsustainable pricing or promos.

The highest percentage promo we offer is 25%, which you currently have.

I never had any 25% off. Mine is 50%. that 25% off, is what their billing add to my invoice without my consent.

Just to be clear, I am totally fine if they can't honor it because it's unsustainable. All I am asking is just admit it. And remove that : All current promotional codes are unaffected/unchanged by this update. From the page. It's really a shame for @HostMantis .

If you can't honor a deal, be a man and own it, like you did in 2019.
**Instead of telling you will honor the current promotional code, yet you straight up delete those said "promotional code" from the renewal invoice. **

I know @HostMantis doesn't really active on LET, I just want to get this off off my chest.

Anyway, Now, I am looking for a Reseller Hosting, any location is fine, but preferable in Singapore. It must have SSH.

Also, any easy way to migrate from direct admin to another direct admin reseller account ?

Attachment
Invoice : https://snipboard.io/CKx1fS.jpg

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Sue the host!

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • @deank said:
    Sue the host!

I just want them to say : "Sorry, we fucked up"

Right, as if that's gonna happen.

• @deank said:
    Right, as if that's gonna happen.

A man can wish.

My latest email with the support :

Hello,

We are not going to give you an unsustainable promo and/or pricing.

Continuing to complain about it is not going to cause us to change our minds either.

If pricing is not acceptable to you in any way, it is completely your choice to simply not renew your service with us and find another host that may be willing to provide you a lower quality service and a lesser amount of features that are more inline with your pricing expectations.

My Answer :

So, you won't honor my recurring discount ? even though your announcement page clearly said you will ? 

Just to clarify :
    1. You remove my 50% recurring discount from my renewal invoice.
    2. After I complained, you add 25% off to my renewal invoice.

You are doing both of them without even asking for my approval.

Just answer yes, and we are good. 

Thanked by 1Egyarmy

If they do apologize, @FAT33 will run around on a street naked.

• @deank said:
    If they do apologize, @FAT33 will run around on a street naked.

Who TF is @FAT33 ?

Thanked by 1AndrewL64

An alt of @FAT3,2

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

But aren't they telling you that? They said they cannot offer you the 50% promo code because it is unsustainable. Maybe I missed something.

• @risharde said:
    But aren't they telling you that? They said they cannot offer you the 50% promo code because it is unsustainable. Maybe I missed something.

The problem here is that the host can't say they will honor the code and at the time of renewal say it is no longer possible. Atleast the OP got a 50% discount at the time of renewal. I was told my account would be billed at 100% of the current price (which was 10x the deal price) after the cPanel initial hike in 2019. I am glad I raised a ticket at the time they sent the original email so I had time to pack up and move.

Raising prices is a provider's choice, but doing it at the last minute is giving no choice at all to the consumer.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • Don't screw with these guys. Wayyy back when I got into Lowend hosting they were offering even more unsustainable deals. I recommended them to friends even. Their support was super rude to me and led to me and the friends I'd invited to leave the service and ask for a refund. At the time on LET it was all suck it up, whatever, aaand then they started with theirs shady billing practices that just keep getting worse.

A lot of people on LET will defend rude providers and tell customers to get over it or whatever but in my experience every time I've noticed that happening (HostDoc is one I can remember) things always go south afterwards.

It's not just good business to be accountable and treat your customers with respect. Providers acting like this are usually indicative of deeper issues and are a red flag for the business being shady in the future.

I can recommend @MikePT whole hearteadly due to this. He's always so positive and kind in his messages here and I feel totally comfortable with the service in terms of accountability going forward.

• My plan runs on a 25% (iirc) discount of the new pricing. Or that's what they said First invoice was like 9$/year now after the change it renews at like 67$/year. Even if the total amount is not that much it is more than 6x the original price.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Vote with your money. I left them when they raised their prices around 300% over night.

Fastest and best shared cPanel server I’ve had, but ridiculous price hikes like that is not something I’d like. And if it happens once it’ll probably happen again.

Thanked by 2SinV JasonM
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited August 2021

@risharde said:

Yes. But on the other hand they said in the announcement page they will honor it.

All I want is for them to admit their mistakes.

@Ympker said:
    My plan runs on a 25% (iirc) discount of the new pricing. Or that's what they said First invoice was like 9$/year now after the change it renews at like 67$/year. Even if the total amount is not that much it is more than 6x the original price.

The first price hike I run on 50% OFF. The 2nd price hike 0% OFF, because they f*king delete it.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @ramesh_vish said:

@risharde said:

The problem here is that the host can't say they will honor the code and at the time of renewal say it is no longer possible. Atleast the OP got a 50% discount at the time of renewal. I was told my account would be billed at 100% of the current price (which was 10x the deal price) after the cPanel initial hike in 2019. I am glad I raised a ticket at the time they sent the original email so I had time to pack up and move.

Raising prices is a provider's choice, but doing it at the last minute is giving no choice at all to the consumer.

To be fair they are not really rising it at the last minute. They rising it in this January. When I read the announcement I though, nah this is fine. I still got my 50% OFF active. They said promotional codes is unaffected.

Little did I know, they straight up delete the promotional code from the renewal invoice. I never comes across a provider that straight up delete recurring promotional code from renewal invoices.

Thanked by 1abytecurious
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited August 2021

@Limpan said:
    Vote with your money. I left them when they raised their prices around 300% over night.

Fastest and best shared cPanel server I’ve had, but ridiculous price hikes like that is not something I’d like. And if it happens once it’ll probably happen again.

I have every intention to do so. Their support also suggesting the same thing. That's another reason of this rant.

• time to jump to smallweb.

• They like to punish old clients xD ... Providers should maintain old stable clients... I cant recommend Hostmantis because of this.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • edited August 2021

@yokowasis said:
    Anyway, Now, I am looking for a Reseller Hosting, any location is fine, but preferable in Singapore. It must have SSH.

Also, any easy way to migrate from direct admin to another direct admin reseller account ?

I never used NexusBytes - @seriesn services, but I heard they ridiculously good, they have singapore directadmin reseller package..

In other hand if you consider other location, MyW.pt - @MikePT reseller packages are pretty good, they have server in Falkenstein - Hetzner and Los Angeles - ReliableSite. You could buy a lifetime package there..

About migration, I believe they could help you migrating the data.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited August 2021

@Ympker You should stop recommending Hostmantis for their unprofessional behavior. I was also a victim using their service and they oversold their storage a lot (Node storage is always above 90%).

I also urge people to reflect it on TrustPilot or equivalent, I am surprised their TrustPilot score is so high.

Thanked by 2buzzyLET JasonM
  • @FAT32 said:
    @Ympker You should stop recommending Hostmantis for their unprofessional behavior. I was also a victim using their service and they oversold their storage a lot (Node storage is always above 90%).

I also urge people to reflect it on TrustPilot or equivalent, I am surprised their TrustPilot score is so high.

I swear people get Stockholm syndrome with these awful providers.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited August 2021

@buzzyLET said:
    I swear people get Stockholm syndrome with these awful providers.

I just got feedback from a reputable LET member that they are charging $67/yr for 10 cPanel accounts. They decreased the plan from 25 to 10 accounts due to 2019 price hike, and proceed to increase the price for 2021 price hike WITHOUT increasing the plan from 10 to 25 accounts.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

@yokowasis can we help?

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited August 2021
    Hello,
    We are not going to give you an unsustainable promo and/or pricing.
    Continuing to complain about it is not going to cause us to change our minds either.
    If pricing is not acceptable to you in any way, it is completely your choice to simply not renew your service with us and find another host that may be willing to provide you a lower quality service and a lesser amount of features that are more inline with your pricing expectations.

OHH! what a rude reply for old customers! Seems they really don't like if customer renews services with them more than once! Hostmantis should learn something, atleast a line or two, from top providers like BuyVM, Racknerd, Ramnode, Nexus Bytes and few others who really care about their customers and are always willing to work something in customers favor for not letting customer get off the ship!

I read almost all comments on past Hostmantis shared/reseller hosting threads and found out that there's hardly any liking for them. Most people hate it publicly though have kept their services in hope of some discount.

Regarding their price: They're selling Shared and Reseller Hosting plans at the price of almost a Managed VPS. So why buy shared from them than getting a Slice from Francisco or VPS from Dustin at 70% less price and more features and helpful support???

The conclusion is: They practice suspicious marketing whereby they will dishonor recurring coupons as advertised AND increase prices ANYTIME without ANY REASON!

The suggestion is: AVOID Hostmantis if you do not want to get SURPRISE renewal bill which is like 300% more than what you paid for original service!

• Meh, left hostmantis after the first price hike. The server was stable for sure, but not even close to being good value IMO.

I'd suggest avoiding on the basis of unpredictable pricing and poor bedside manners.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

Screw these guys and their fucking 'recurring discounts' that aren't really recurring.

I cancelled my services right after their pricing fiasco the first time around. There only so many insufferable and illiterate idiots that I am willing to deal with in a year. :lol:

• @dahartigan said:
    Meh, left hostmantis after the first price hike. The server was stable for sure, but not even close to being good value IMO.

I'd suggest avoiding on the basis of unpredictable pricing and poor bedside manners.

Same this is old news I thought everyone knew they were shady.

Thanked by 2dahartigan JasonM
  • Honestly, for Direct Admin hosting if you want something with excellent performance and a decent LET-style price, @seriesn - nexus bytes is the best bet. cPanel is something I've generally moved away from, but I haven't had any problems with racknerd's shared cpanel hosting (but in saying that, I haven't relied on it like I do with the @seriesn hosting, but it's there as a backup and hasn't let me down..)

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2021

@FAT32 said:

I have removed them from my Shared Hosting Chart a while ago, already. Ethically I can't recommend them, performance wise they are, unfortunately, really good. I don't really recommend them much these days anymore, though. I don't use the reseller I have there much anymore. Just one website, which is from a family member and it just runs fine and also is kinda big (6GB bc of non-cdn media..). I just keep this one for that website only atm. Maybe one day, I'll move it. If that website is ever moved, I'll let the plan expire. If they remove the 25% discount, I'll move it, too.

• @Ympker said:

@FAT32 said:

I have removed them from my Shared Hosting Chart a while ago, already. Ethically I can't recommend them, performance wise they are, unfortunately, really good. I don't really recommend them much these days anymore, though. I don't use the reseller I have there much anymore. Just one website, which is from a family member and it just runs fine and also is kinda big (6GB bc of non-cdn media..). I just keep this one for that website only atm. Maybe one day, I'll move it. If that website is ever moved, I'll let the plan expire. If they remove the 25% discount, I'll move it, too.

I still have a simple shared account with them and because it has unlimited domains, I host all my domains (and my email) there. 99,8% uptime over the last 30 days. Paid till May of '22 but after that, it is 10x the price I paid, so I will be moving.

Thanked by 2Ympker JasonM
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2021

@Stryp said:

@Ympker said:

@FAT32 said:

I still have a simple shared account with them and because it has unlimited domains, I host all my domains (and my email) there. 99,8% uptime over the last 30 days. Paid till May of '22 but after that, it is 10x the price I paid, so I will be moving.

10x.. Damn. Their smallest DA shared hosting plan with 25GB NVMe (and unlimited Domains) is only about 18$/y (with cPanel 35$/y), though. Still might be better to move :)

Thanked by 2JasonM ariq01