Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussion/Poll on Lifetime deals (Shared/ Resellers/ VPNs/ Control panels and VPS)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Discussion/Poll on Lifetime deals (Shared/ Resellers/ VPNs/ Control panels and VPS)

Good day to you all,

So I have been wondering about the definition of the lifetime deals that we see being offered by some providers.

Does lifetime means: Lifetime of the customer, company or a predefined period like 15 - 25 years (Based on Life Sentence) ?

Maybe we as a community can come to an agreed on the concept or definition on lifetime deals and offers !

I myself have seen several lifetime VPN, resellers and shared hosting deals but have never seen a lifetime VPS deal ? Most control panels stopped offering lifetime with the exception of ApisCP.

What is the reason for not offering a lifetime VPS ( I would have thought it's cheaper to sustain for the provider since there are no control panel charges/costs ) ?

Let's see what the providers and community think about this concept.

Lifetime deals
  1. Are lifetime deals sustainable ?69 votes
    1. Yes
      10.14%
    2. Hell No !
      66.67%
    3. Defined Lifetime !
      23.19%
  2. I have previously bought a lifetime deal (Shared/VPN/VPS/Control Panel) ?69 votes
    1. Yes !
      55.07%
    2. Never !
      44.93%
  3. I want to see a Lifetime deals on VPS ?69 votes
    1. Yes
      39.13%
    2. Nah
      60.87%

Comments

• There have been lifetime VPS deals: CloudAtCost (still "running") and TheForeverCloud. The latter isn't available for sign up anymore, but I guess they are still honouring services. It was run by @terrahost iirc.

Thanked by 1PandoGulf
  • Thanks to all voters, to those who have previously bought a lifetime deal.

Could you share with us, it would be interesting to know.

I have a lifetime reseller from @MikePT and another one from @WebHorizon.

Also I have a lifetime VPN from KeepSolid ( Very stable ) thanks for @Ympker for sharing the awesome deals here.

Planning to get the lifetime email deal from @jar when I can afford it :smiley:

Thanked by 2Ympker MikePT
  • add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited August 2021

@Pixels said:
    There have been lifetime VPS deals: CloudAtCost (still "running") and TheForeverCloud. The latter isn't available for sign up anymore, but I guess they are still honouring services. It was run by @terrahost iirc.

Old customer still charge monthly for "maintenance cost" a few years later, and i i left it , so i think nothing real for lifetime, they are bs

To be added , they terminate all my service because did not pay for "maintenance cost" each month that they asked

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2021

There are a lot of different ways to offer Lifetime services. Services that have little to no overhead per customer perhaps have the most sustainable offering, but even still they need regularly paying customers to keep their brand alive. Many will be rightfully identified as simply operating a pump and dump scam with lifetime offerings, and it's no oddity that people are sensitive to that and suspect it at every turn.

I keep raising the price on mine so it can continue to be what it is: An investment in my growth for a small leftover corner of a server which is already generating between $15k and $20k yearly revenue on top of it's overhead.

• @add_iT said:

@Pixels said:
    There have been lifetime VPS deals: CloudAtCost (still "running") and TheForeverCloud. The latter isn't available for sign up anymore, but I guess they are still honouring services. It was run by @terrahost iirc.

Old customer still charge monthly for "maintenance cost" a few years later, and i i left it , so i think nothing real for lifetime, they are bs

To be added , they terminate all my service because did not pay for "maintenance cost" each month that they asked

My VPS got suspended for not paying those "maintenance cost", few months later they decide to remove those "maintenance cost" but keep my previous VPS suspended.

Thanked by 1PandoGulf
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2021

I would interpret lifetime deals always as lasting as long as the company lifetime. If the client lives for another 100 years but the company goes bankrupt or dissolves after 7 years, of course, the service offered will also end. Downloaded files/software can (probably) be used without further updates ofc. The Ivacy VPN lifetime deal is a bullshit definition of lifetime ("in tech world lifetime means 5 years, so you get it for 5 years only, then contact support and good luck"), although the product is fine. Lifetime plan is probably best translated to one-time charge with continous service for the lifetime of the company.

I have many lifetime deals and licenses and ofc those with less costs on the provider's end (e.g. Software products) are more likely to last longer than lifetime deals for SaaS products or servers/vpn as these definitely have on-going bills to pay to keep servers alive. Affinity Designer, for example, is a good one-time/lifetime deal with lifetime updates and little cost to keep alive (even if no further updates were published).

Like @jar said: It depends on the deal and company. I suggest you make your due research before buying and ask yourself not if you are going to have this product for the next 50 years, but whether it will last long enough to make the purchase worth it :) Also: beware of scams!

• gianggiang Veteran
    edited August 2021

@Pixels said:

CloudAtCost is charging service fees to keep the Lifetime VPS.

Thanked by 1PandoGulf
  • DrvDrv Member

Lifetime=scam.
    I wouldnt buy such offer even from the oldest providers on the market.
    It's a sign that the boat is sinking. :d

Thanked by 2PandoGulf yoursunny
  • Lifetime deals just means someone wants a lump of money in a very short time.

Thanked by 1PandoGulf
  • Got a cool lifetime deal from a local company and they are still keeping it. That product line is no more yet they keep the server alive I guess.

Thanked by 1PandoGulf
  • eriseris Member

I have bought a lifetime VPN but it was even cheaper then 1 year NordVPN... So I am happy if it lasts longer... But a Lifetime could also mean a company needs quick money to pay of some debts and go bankrupt... Quite risky..

Thanked by 2PandoGulf Ympker
  • Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

WHMCS is a good example of why lifetime offers are just terrible (in most cases).
    WHMCS took away updates to owned licenses rendering them useless was a complete scam.

I know it's not really that the service is gone because it can be "used" just not securely.
    Thus making my WHMCS license useless to me.

Thanked by 2eris PandoGulf
  • @brian777 said:

@add_iT said:

@Pixels said:

My VPS got suspended for not paying those "maintenance cost", few months later they decide to remove those "maintenance cost" but keep my previous VPS suspended.

I agree the 9$ maintenance fee was a dick move but imo it wasn't a big deal if you had a decent amount of resources and they removed it afterwards if you bought another package.

Don't get me wrong, their practices are shady at best, but it is still decent for the price and nice to have whenever you want to try something new.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited August 2021

I bought €1 lifetime 200GB Nextcloud storage.
    Provider canceled the service and stole my dolla.

The only thing that can be sold as lifetime is software without updates.
    Any cloud service has recurring costs and cannot sustain lifetime.

Hardware with cloud service: lifetime of the hardware.

• Google pulled the plug for Android 2.2
    • Microsoft closed the shop for Windows Phone 8.1, my $40 phone is now a camera.
    • Apple hasn't bricked my iPhone yet.
    • Fitbit is still going strong.
  • @Pixels said:

@brian777 said:

@add_iT said:

@Pixels said:

I agree the 9$ maintenance fee was a dick move but imo it wasn't a big deal if you had a decent amount of resources and they removed it afterwards if you bought another package.

Don't get me wrong, their practices are shady at best, but it is still decent for the price and nice to have whenever you want to try something new.

Well even they don't suspend it, still it's not really usable, their network are barely connected and their disk io are not much faster than my raspi sdcard. But that's not surprising to me since i've heard many bad things before so whatever i bought that thing at just $8 to feed my curiousness whether it will useful for my future iot.

• a lifetime deal can be seen like a startup investment: for providing cash upfront, instead of a share of the earnings you get a share of the service - which is way cheaper for the company, and probably more valueable for you as well.

of course all startup investments carry a risk of failure and even fraud.

Thanked by 1PandoGulf
  • I think there are limits.

I have 10 EUR lifetime from @MikePT - it's been 1 or 2 years now.

If they closed down tomorrow, I would be happy with the value received.

A hundred or a couple hundred $$ is a different story. Not something I would be interested in.

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@Ympker said: The Ivacy VPN lifetime deal is a bullshit definition of lifetime ("in tech world lifetime means 5 years, so you get it for 5 years only, then contact support and good luck")

Shit! Thanks for the heads up @Ympker ... I guess I need to start using it sometime. What a scam.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@MichaelCee said:
    I think there are limits.

I have 10 EUR lifetime from @MikePT - it's been 1 or 2 years now.

If they closed down tomorrow, I would be happy with the value received.

A hundred or a couple hundred $$ is a different story. Not something I would be interested in.

Oh we're alive and kicking. We won't offer VPS / Dedicated Servers but we'll offer a lot more!

Thanked by 1PandoGulf
  • @alento said:

@Ympker said: The Ivacy VPN lifetime deal is a bullshit definition of lifetime ("in tech world lifetime means 5 years, so you get it for 5 years only, then contact support and good luck")

Shit! Thanks for the heads up @Ympker ... I guess I need to start using it sometime. What a scam.

On stacksocial details it says to only ticket Ivacy support after 5 years to renew, however Ivacy live chat once told me you have to do it X days before but not too early either. Also they said that lifetime in tech industry is 5 years and bla bla. I wouldn't rely on that. Even more because you need to get active yourself to keep the lifetime deal you bought lol.

Thanked by 1PandoGulf
  • I think a provider could realistically offer "lifetime of the hardware" if they self-hosted or had a lot of spare capacity. Ongoing costs for "one more server" are not that much.

Thanked by 1PandoGulf