Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too good to be true vps ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Too good to be true vps ?

neverainneverain Member
edited July 2021 in General

Hi guys, me and my friends are hosting a cybersecurity forum (nothing blackhat) on a BuyVM 4GB + path + VShield (Firewall) and we are looking to switch to something cheaper if possible because our budget is 20$/month (15$ for vps) and our current set up costs 28$/month. While searching for a suitable alternative for buyvm we found php-friends and netcup and their prices are low, almost too good to be true and their review seems to be mixed, so i wanted to know what you guy think about them and what your experience was while using them

netcup.eu --- 10.40 eur
RS 1000 G9
AMD EPYC™ 7702
8 GB DDR4 RAM (ECC)
2 dedicated cores
160 GB SSD

php-friends.de --- 9 eur
vServer S SSD G3 AMD
AMD EPYC 7452
2 dedicated cores
Up to 3.35 GHz
10 GB DDR4 RAM (ECC)
80 GB NVMe storage

are there recommendations from you in this price range? our requirements are layer 4 DDoS protection, snapshots, dedicated core, 4gb ram and 60 gb storage, or is this price too low for dedicated cores and we should stick with BuyVM?

Comments

• does php-friends have snapshots available?

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited July 2021

@neverain said:
    does php-friends have snapshots available?

Not that I'm aware of. (Their control panel is SolusVM.)

As far as netcup and snapshots are concerned, only the first snapshot is free. After the first, you would need to purchase snapshots (ranging from 1€ to 1,50€ per snapshot, depending on how many you order). In addition, there's a restriction in that you can only make a snapshot if at least half of your disk space is free (otherwise you can't make a snapshot).

In your place, if BuyVM works for you, I probably wouldn't go through the hassle of migrating. Yes, both netcup and PHP-Friends are good and have attractive prices, but they both may also be stricter than BuyVM in certain respects.

• @angstrom said: As far as netcup and snapshots are concerned, only the first snapshot is free. After the first, you would need to purchase snapshots (ranging from 1€ to 1,50€ per snapshot, depending on how many you order)

I think you got that wrong. the 'one snapshot' you are referring to is rather 'one export+download' of a snapshot ;-)
    in their panel you can take multiple snapshots without a problem and as long as your storage allows for it.

so yes, as you pointed out you need to have enough free space within your ordered package to have the snapshots stored but you can easily do more than one.

Thanked by 2angstrom Ympker
    edited August 2021

@Falzo said: :)

@angstrom said: As far as netcup and snapshots are concerned, only the first snapshot is free. After the first, you would need to purchase snapshots (ranging from 1€ to 1,50€ per snapshot, depending on how many you order)

I think you got that wrong. the 'one snapshot' you are referring to is rather 'one export+download' of a snapshot ;-)
    in their panel you can take multiple snapshots without a problem and as long as your storage allows for it.

so yes, as you pointed out you need to have enough free space within your ordered package to have the snapshots stored but you can easily do more than one.

Thanks for the correction. :)

I see, so one could take more than one snapshot for free and then retrieve them by http or ftp (via one's VPS), thereby avoiding netcup's own downloading mechanism? This would be a clever workaround. :)

I should confess that I've never played with netcup's snapshots. The free-space requirement is a bit of a nuisance, and I have a backup strategy in place anyway.

• nfnnfn Veteran

I haven't used php-friends, but I'm a Netcup costumer for 4/5 years long and I have a good experience with them.
    Just take a closer look to the contract terms to avoid future problems.

• @angstrom said: one could take more than one snapshot for free and then retrieve them by http or ftp (via one's VPS), thereby avoiding netcup's own downloading mechanism? This would be a clever workaround.

no, not really. the snapshots are not visible/accessible from within your VM, that's why you need to export them to an extra storage where they will be available for download for some time (and that's what incurs the cost then)

edited August 2021

@Falzo said:

@angstrom said: one could take more than one snapshot for free and then retrieve them by http or ftp (via one's VPS), thereby avoiding netcup's own downloading mechanism? This would be a clever workaround.

no, not really. the snapshots are not visible/accessible from within your VM, that's why you need to export them to an extra storage where they will be available for download for some time (and that's what incurs the cost then)

Ah, okay, so forget what I said about a possible clever workaround. :)

But then I don't really understand the need for the at-least-50%-free-space requirement unless the snapshot is initially temporarily (invisibly) created on the disk of one's VPS.

• Both providers are probably solid options. Just make sure to read and understand the terms :)

• @angstrom said: But then I don't really understand the need for the at-least-50%-free-space requirement unless the snapshot is initially temporarily (invisibly) created on the disk of one's VPS.

the initial snapshot does not require any space at it is actually not copying any data. it just defines a point in time and status quo (aka metadata) from which on all deletions/modifications would need to be kept for later restore. so these restore data could grow to be of the size you use at that moment. therefore you need the space.

and yes, it's actually invisible because it does not get saved as actual files but probably works on blocklevel or something like that.

Thanked by 1angstrom