Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RDP Services
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RDP Services

Hello guys,

I want to start a RDP Providing website, how can i do that.

How much RAM, Storage & Bandwidth etc will be required.
How many IPs are required.

Idea of 100 RDP needed to be sold on average of 4GB ram per user shared.

I am totally new in RDP. please suggest the server providers also.

Comments

• Hetzner will be the ideal choice as they provide plenty of ram for cheaper cost

• @imgmoney said:
    Hetzner will be the ideal choice as they provide plenty of ram for cheaper cost

What configuration should be recommended for such use. how many IPs are required.

• @DataBuster said:

@imgmoney said:

What configuration should be recommended for such use. how many IPs are required.

You need to mention more about the RDP purpose. There are various use cases

1) To host a game server
    2) To seed torrents
    3) To upload illegal contents to filehost

etc

So please mention the actual use case.

• If it is to use has a remote working machine, you'll need the 4GB

• @imgmoney said:

@DataBuster said:

@imgmoney said:

You need to mention more about the RDP purpose. There are various use cases

1) To host a game server
    2) To seed torrents
    3) To upload illegal contents to filehost

etc

So please mention the actual use case.

Just windows server to be sold.

• @danielcardosopt said:
    If it is to use has a remote working machine, you'll need the 4GB

But i need to sell to 100s of clients. I want to be a provider.

• IvanIvan Member

I am totally new in RDP

I want to be a provider

That must be a good combination.

• JioJio Member

pls tell us what illegal activity you are trying to sell purpose for, so that we can help you more !

• @DataBuster said:
    But i need to sell to 100s of clients. I want to be a provider.

The lowest I would go is 2GB of RAM. But I think you are going to get complaints.
    At least add a lot of disk so people enable virtual memory.

• estnocestnoc Member, Patron Provider

@DataBuster said:
    Hello guys,

I want to start a RDP Providing website, how can i do that.

How much RAM, Storage & Bandwidth etc will be required.
    How many IPs are required.

Idea of 100 RDP needed to be sold on average of 4GB ram per user shared.

I am totally new in RDP. please suggest the server providers also.

if i remember correctly, you need higher User CAL's licence for windows server in order to get more rdp sessions allowed. default is 1 i believe. but hey, i might be wrong. so i suggest you dig in google and im confident that you can find answers regarding this cal issue.

• JioJio Member

@estnoc said: if i remember correctly, you need higher User CAL's licence for windows server in order to get more rdp sessions allowed. default is 1 i believe. but hey, i might be wrong. so i suggest you dig in google and im confident that you can find answers regarding this cal issue.

You and I both know that if someone is on lowendtalk asking how to "sell rdps" with that exact phrase, 1) it's for warez reuploads or other illegal bullshit, 2) it's going to be pirated windows probably with malware in it

• estnocestnoc Member, Patron Provider

@Jio said:

@estnoc said: if i remember correctly, you need higher User CAL's licence for windows server in order to get more rdp sessions allowed. default is 1 i believe. but hey, i might be wrong. so i suggest you dig in google and im confident that you can find answers regarding this cal issue.

You and I both know that if someone is on lowendtalk asking how to "sell rdps" with that exact phrase, 1) it's for warez reuploads or other illegal bullshit, 2) it's going to be pirated windows probably with malware in it

the thing is, as OP asked for server providers who can provide server with windows in it and he wanted to start reselling rdp slots. i automatically assumed that no sane isp is going to install there pirated windows :) so i skipped that part and went directly to CAL issue. additional 5cal costs several times more money than he can get from 1 rdp sale. so, there is no sense in making such business if the windows and cals are legit.

• donkodonko Member

unlimited bandwidth, 32+gb ram, 1 ip and CAL's licence (ez on windows server 2012) and now you can sell remote desktops (shared resources)

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

RDP does not imply Windows.
    You can totally provide RDP out of Ubuntu Desktop.

My college has two RDP servers:

• Xeon X5670, 8 cores 2.9GHz
    • 32GB RAM
    • 80GB local HDD + NFS mount for home folders
    • Ubuntu Desktop 12.04
    • unprivileged user accounts

They were setup in 2013 and somehow they're still running Ubuntu 12.04 today…

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2021

@yoursunny said:
    RDP does not imply Windows.
    You can totally provide RDP out of Ubuntu Desktop.

My college has two RDP servers:

• Xeon X5670, 8 cores 2.9GHz
    • 32GB RAM
    • 80GB local HDD + NFS mount for home folders
    • Ubuntu Desktop 12.04
    • unprivileged user accounts

They were setup in 2013 and somehow they're still running Ubuntu 12.04 today…

RDP is a proprietary protocol developed by Microsoft. Any Linux-equivalent is not true RDP. Instead, most RDP solutions on Linux (e.g. xrdp) is simply VNC wrapped in RDP and therefore is not "true" RDP. But at the end of the day, the final results are the same.

Thanked by 2yoursunny drunkendog
  • @donko said:
    unlimited bandwidth, 32+gb ram, 1 ip and CAL's licence (ez on windows server 2012) and now you can sell remote desktops (shared resources)

With 1 IP, how can i share the IP & administration login to multiple users

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

The end is nigh.

• @DataBuster said:

Put RDP on different ports: 3391, 3392, 3393

• @danielcardosopt said:

@DataBuster said:

Put RDP on different ports: 3391, 3392, 3393

To be frank, i don’t know how to do it. Anyone who can help me fully in this thing. Can you guide me in Inbox.

I will be really helpful

• AKA_GHTAKA_GHT Member
    edited July 2021
    1. Do not open RDP to the internet, even if you changed/NAT the default port 3389 ( TCP & UDP ), use a VPN for that ( your clients open a VPN service to you and connect to RDP )

2. Selling RDP sessions as a service, well, each connection requires a Remote Desktop CAL, you have 100 users, you will need 100 CALS ( Client Access Licence )

3. If all of your users connect to 1 Server, you will need a lot of RAM, count for ~4GB/user, but it really depends on what they do, if they each have 30 pages opened in CHROME, they will eat 4GB of ram easily.

4. The biggest difficulty will be security. A stand-alone server is a no go, a domain-joined Server will be better, but even then I would not advise you to do this

5. Application control will be a pain in the A$$. TS ( Terminal Server ) gives access to applications installed on it to all clients connecting to it, so everybody can use all the applications installed on your server, not sure that you want this

In my opinion, you need VDI, but is very messy to install/configure and maintain, not counting that is very $$$$$$$.

Plan B would be 100 Windows 10 VM's. Logic is the same, Client opens a VPN to you, and connects to RDP by IP Address. For this 4 Core / 4 GB Ram and 120 GB, HDD/ VM is enough, I would go for Domain Joined, as you can control security from the Domain Controller by GPO.

This way you will need 1 Public Ip Address, and 100 internal lan addresses ( 192.168.20.0/24 )

client connects to 4.6.8.3 by vpn, and after that openes RDP to 192.168.20.5 for example.

This way you can split the 100 VM's on 3 servers or more, depending on the load.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@DataBuster said: To be frank, i don’t know how to do it. Anyone who can help me fully in this thing. Can you guide me in Inbox.

There actually is a tutorial on changing RDP port on Windows on LowEndBox.

But this is like teaching someone how to do an oil change and then saying "OK, you're rent to run a fleet of rental cars now".

@AKA_GHT said: Selling RDP sessions as a service, well, each connection requires a Remote Desktop CAL, you have 100 users, you will need 100 CALS ( Client Access Licence )

I thought you could also buy Remote Desktop Services (previously Terminal Services) and license the entire box...but it's been a while.

But let's just stop right here: @DataBusted, do you have the $X,XXX required to buy a Windows Server license? I'm guessing the answer is no.

• hnzlethnzlet Member

@DataBuster With all due respect, do you think you have the skills and knowledge to fix the service for your paying customers when something breaks? Or is your plan to be very generous with refunds? I just don't know how tech problems are going to get resolved quickly and well if you've never done anything like this before.

You can do whatever you want and I wish you luck, but in general when people pay for a service they like it to be reliable and for problems to be fixed quickly.

• @hnzlet said:
    @DataBuster With all due respect, do you think you have the skills and knowledge to fix the service for your paying customers when something breaks? Or is your plan to be very generous with refunds? I just don't know how tech problems are going to get resolved quickly and well if you've never done anything like this before.

You can do whatever you want and I wish you luck, but in general when people pay for a service they like it to be reliable and for problems to be fixed quickly.

I am planning on taking managed dedicated, using virtualizor & split into different nodes. Virtualizor also gives 180 days free windows license per VPS node. So i can easily be able to save money on buying the windows server license.

What would you suggest me on this.

@raindog308 @AKA_GHT

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@DataBuster said:
    I am planning on taking managed dedicated, using virtualizor & split into different nodes. Virtualizor also gives 180 days free windows license per VPS node. So i can easily be able to save money on buying the windows server license.

You know you are not supposed to abuse the trial license right...?

What do you plan to do with it? How much are you going to rent it for? My suggestion is keep the money to stock / crypto which could possibly gives you a better yield without much technical knowledge required.

• AKA_GHTAKA_GHT Member
    edited July 2021

For Simplicity, Plan B.

For a Complicated and weird setup, go with A, but as I said, I would not touch it even with a stick.

Mainly because RDP TS was not designed for MULT-CUSTOMER-USER use. It was designed for single enterprise use, where all the users connecting to the server, were from the same company and use the same 1,2,3,x applications hosted on the TS.

VDI is the way you want to go if you do not like plan B.

You cannot license the BOX for unlimited RDP, Windows Server Datacenter license is the most expensive, and it lets you install and activate as many VM instances of Windows Server as you wish on that 1 physical server.

RDP Instances are licensed / USER. You can have 50 Licenses and 300 users, it will only let 50 users to connect simultaneously to that server by RDP.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-client-access-license

Wow, it is even worse now than I remembered ( 2012 R2 )

• what about the legal issues in it? if your customer will do something wrong in your giving rdp then how you will be noticed?