Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have earned any CHIAs? Share your experiences!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you have earned any CHIAs? Share your experiences!

miumiu Member
edited July 2021 in General

Hello everybody

My experiences (YET):

PLOTTING: I was plotting on two Ryzens 5950 + 4 x NVMe + 4 x SSD + 16x SATAIII HW RAID0 (100 plots simultaneously, Ryzen are really powerful - there were able without problems and crashes do more plots as they have threads). But plotting was still extreme time difficult/slow and really extreme stressing components (of course mainly disks, but many time also CPUs has been w 100% load). I absolutely understand & agree why providers denied use their servers for Chia Plotting. (Also it is no such "green" as presented vs. Bitcoin, bcs chia also pretty consume electricity at plotting)

MINNING(harvesting): After first month i have won nothing, no blocks, ZERO CHIA coins still, with 500+TiB of plots & capacity

When you ask me what i think about it, then imo "chia calculators" are completely for nothing bcs probability "that you should won every xyz days" is only belt shooting not reality or from any part guaranteed result, and u can won nothing ever. Maybe is more wise work with any large pool than try win as solo.

Feel free to SHARE YOUR OWN EXPERIENCES if you have any!

Comments

• i feel so bad for you

Thanked by 1miu
  • miumiu Member
    edited July 2021

@doghouch said:
    i feel so bad for you

Congrat for very detailed and useful comment & great idea

And if you hate me bcs chia madness caused HDDs crazy price increasing then know:

1) Yes it is so bad when i share experiences and can help to do right decision of many other ppl who decide if begin do it or not, and let them know that it is no so fantastic as seems before u tried it and small HDDs capacity probably does not have any sense and chance for win/earn ever something.

2) I began (and bought new/additional HDDs) with idea i will try it, when no sense there, then i will add all disks into my empty/yet not using servers and collocate them in DC (and not must think what with useless HW when i decide to terminate chia "lottery")

• FalzoFalzo Member

a) you are very late to the party.

b) meanwhile pooling is available, so you probably want to switch to that to average out on the 'luck' factor and get a rather constant income. yes, you need to replot (more wear to your precious nvme/ssd, more power consumption)

c) highly unlikely that the price will go back to the moon but instead it will continue decreasing as there is not enough demand for what can potentially be brought into the market, so you'll not see any ROI in the foreseeable future.

d) at the current rate even if you finally hit a block, those $300 won't make you happy after all.

Thanked by 1miu
  • JioJio Member

I have almost 400TB in hetzner and it's 0 XCH so far.

Thanked by 1miu
  • JioJio Member

It's was $1400 and now it's $200 and there are virtually no exchanges that carry it so even if you get a XCH its worthless.

Thanked by 1miu
  • miumiu Member
    edited July 2021

@Falzo said:
    a) you are very late to the party.

b) meanwhile pooling is available, so you probably want to switch to that to average out on the 'luck' factor and get a rather constant income. yes, you need to replot (more wear to your precious nvme/ssd, more power consumption)

Hello.

@ b) When u decide join to HPOOL (probably largest chia pool) i am not sure but i think/assume u do not need re-plot from new, only share your key is necessary. But correct me pls if you're sure it is necessary there re-plot again all.

https://www.hpool.in/help/tutorial/21

@ c) yes i agree current price is not profitable and it's quite a disappointment.
    Hopefully - perhaps it will save other people (who intend begin) unnecessarily wasted money this sharing

Thanks for opinion and response!

• miumiu Member
    edited July 2021

@Jio said:
    I have almost 400TB in hetzner and it's 0 XCH so far.

Thank you for your sharing. :'( also total misery / bad result

It's was $1400 and now it's $200 and there are virtually no exchanges that carry it so even if you get a XCH its worthless.

YES truth, also very bad moving for chia farmers

XCH its worthless

my opinion is after own experiences similar as your

• JioJio Member
    edited July 2021

you have to replot every time you join a new pool. each pool will have different "pool key" and if you make plot before you can't use this plot in that pool.

i think before pool was added, your farm and pool key will be same (your existing plots are for a pool of 1 person - yourself)

Thanked by 1miu
  • edited July 2021

@Jio said:
    you have to replot every time you join a new pool. each pool will have different "pool key" and if you make plot before you can't use this plot in that pool.

No you don't. With pools you are creating portable plots, so you can have all plots on Pool A and switch them all to Pool B pretty much instantly.

A little more complicated if you wanted to split them.

Thanked by 2miu Falzo
  • miumiu Member

@Jio said:

I am not sure in case of HPOOL (that u cannot move existing plots there instead complete replotting).

This guide is mainly for those who already has some plots and just want to move them to hpool to farm from there.

Read this - it looks he speak how move and use existing plots there:

https://www.chiablockchain.com/2021/05/19/how-to-move-to-hpool/

• JioJio Member
    edited July 2021

@miu said: I am not sure in case of HPOOL (that u cannot move existing plots there instead complete replotting).

I think this HPOOL specific or they are doing something else. You have to download their client and run their client, instead of plotting with a pool key in Chia official. I only deal with and install Official client.

Thanked by 1miu
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@CyberneticTitan said: No you don't. With pools you are creating portable plots, so you can have all plots on Pool A and switch them all to Pool B pretty much instantly.

actually this.

but not really instant though, afaik there is some kind of waiting/penalty implemented to make pool hopping less attractive.

HPOOL is a different story. they are indeed not using the official pooling protocol but instead require to share your private key... which you simply shouldn't.

@Jio said: I only deal with and install Official client.

this.

Thanked by 1miu
  • @miu said:
    16x SATAIII HW RAID0

What could go wrong?

Thanked by 2miu Hxxx
  • miumiu Member
    edited July 2021

@TimboJones said:

@miu said:
    16x SATAIII HW RAID0

What could go wrong?

used for (faster simultaneous) plotting,
    R&W was over 3GB/sec and fortunately zero R0 failures through whole plotting.. (means speed near to NVMe but several time bigger capacity for write - for more plots as i can write & produce simultaneously/at the same time on NVMe due from their relatively small/limited capacity) But disks were new (IronWolf Pro SATAs + Adaptec 16-port raid card)

• have stopped farming after 140 plots and made zero, not so bad, as i use 1TB/1€ storage for them, so I burned only like 100€

Thanked by 1miu
  • FalzoFalzo Member

just check some random stats from a bigger pool to get an idea of what your plots can earn you with that ... for now.

Thanked by 1miu
  • vovlervovler Member

almost as if you'd make more profit if you'd create a server and raid those drive and sell 1tb FTP access for $5/m

Thanked by 3Falzo miu bulbasaur
  • vovlervovler Member

@Falzo said:
    just check some random stats from a bigger pool to get an idea of what your plots can earn you with that ... for now.

So that's about 1€/m per 1tb of storage?

• miumiu Member

@vovler said:
    almost as if you'd make more profit if you'd create a server and raid those drive and sell 1tb FTP access for $5/m

Thank you for your suggestion. Yes - these sata farming disks are already hot-swapped in dual cpu rack servers 2 & 4U. So as my chia expectations are quite broken after these yet bad own experiences, probably i will rather collocate these storage servers in DC.. Imo ask $5/m for 1TB is much but with say $2.50 i could have chance to catch any users and gradually utilize/fill up them and have some profit on them.

• miumiu Member
    edited July 2021

@Falzo BTW if may i ask for your opinion: What would be better and more wise/ better decision for large storage server purpose (FTP or shared hosting with large storage plans):

a) setup servers with HW RAID (Smart Array P420i controller) & SATA disks with total capacity 96GB & 192GB into RAID10 as compromise of redundancy, good performance and half space?

b) or risk, get 2/3 of their total capacity and setup them in parity+stripe raids modes (RAID50 or eventually 60)?

I have not good feel at such capacity with parity raids (because rebuild at possible failure on parity raid may be nightmare at such capacity, also data integrity regular checking will take long and long time degrade performance for such array i think/expect). So i assume sooner is more wise be satisfied w R10 half resulting space capacity, than find yourself in a disaster and collapse with degraded parity raid at large capacity.

Thanks

• @miu said:

@TimboJones said:

@miu said:
    16x SATAIII HW RAID0

What could go wrong?

used for (faster simultaneous) plotting,
    R&W was over 3GB/sec and fortunately zero R0 failures through whole plotting..

I wasn't concerned about the plotting, but the weeks and months or years it would need to remain without errors or lose the whole thing.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@miu said: What would be better and more wise/ better decision for large storage server purpose

in my opinion that's a more complex question but also prone to very subjective views on that topic...

as you already pointed out large raid arrays might need a rebuild and fsck in case of an error. do be allowed to do so, first thing you should do is rename yourself first to cocmiu.

what I do if a raid array fails is moving out the existing data before I do any rebuilding. which comes with the problem, that you need space for that data. yet if you only have one very big array full with customers... you'll again be cocmiu.

so I'd probably sacrifice the idea of higher speeds and build multiple small raid10 to keep a possible impact limited to a smaller group of customers and be able to move them from one array to another more easily. this might also help balance the load or keep the impact of single abusers somewhat lower.
    I am also not a big fan of HW raid as the controller adds another SPOF, however if it has good caching it again might help with the speed...

there are more likely a lot of other ways and methods (zfs, ceph, netapp) which all have their benefits and culprits and I am by no way experienced enough in handling large arrays/storage, so take my opinion as exactly that. a personal opinion ;-)

maybe ask someone like @Francisco - though he probably has either some more specific hardware storage solution or adds other secret sauce that he also learned from experience and won't share just like that ;-) ;-)

Thanked by 2Pilzbaum miu
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2021

Incoming storage offers from HDDs which will be selling on eBay. I love LET.

@servarica_hani - waiting for Polar Bears.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@default said: @servarica_hani - waiting for Polar Bears.

oh yes. one of the best pricings ($2/TB) for a very solid service.

• miumiu Member
    edited July 2021

@Falzo said:
    first thing you should do is rename yourself first to cocmiu.

:smiley: :smiley: :+1: Your imagination is awesome. But It is also fortunate that my current nick is not kiu :smiley: (before your suggested merging)

so I'd probably sacrifice the idea of higher speeds and build multiple small raid10 to keep a possible impact limited to a smaller group of customers and be able to move them from one array to another more easily.

Great idea.

Thanks for your opinions.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2021

@miu said:

@doghouch said:
    i feel so bad for you

And if you hate me bcs chia madness caused HDDs crazy price increasing then know:

1) Yes it is so bad when i share experiences and can help to do right decision of many other ppl who decide if begin do it or not, and let them know that it is no so fantastic as seems before u tried it and small HDDs capacity probably does not have any sense and chance for win/earn ever something.

2) I began (and bought new/additional HDDs) with idea i will try it, when no sense there, then i will add all disks into my empty/yet not using servers and collocate them in DC (and not must think what with useless HW when i decide to terminate chia "lottery")

yes, the comment was intended as both a warning to investing in unproven cryptocurrencies and to show at least (a bit) of pity

TL;DR I haven't been able to replace one of my NAS drives because they cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ now - I'm only very slightly pissed off about it. :(

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited August 2021

@doghouch said:

@miu said:

@doghouch said:
    i feel so bad for you

yes, the comment was intended as both a warning to investing in unproven cryptocurrencies and to show at least (a bit) of pity

TL;DR I haven't been able to replace one of my NAS drives because they cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ now - I'm only very slightly pissed off about it. :(

Wtf didn't you have a spare on the shelf? You're doing it wrong. Buy on big sales to have on hand.

• @TimboJones said:

@doghouch said:

@miu said:

@doghouch said:
    i feel so bad for you

Wtf didn't you have a spare on the shelf? You're doing it wrong. Buy on big sales to have on hand.

Sadly not — the data was (and still is) backed up, so I tried going el cheapo without having new drives on hand.

Fortunately, they seem to be going down in price now, so it’ll probably be a month or two and I’ll be able to rebuild the array.