Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ikoula fibercut, anyone affected?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ikoula fibercut, anyone affected?

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
edited July 2021 in General

I recently noticed yesterday, the one and only machine I had at Ikoula died.
The response today was:

Hello,

There is currently an incident with one of our internet service providers (Orange), which is causing an outage for some customers, and very slow speeds for others.
We are in contact with them, and an intervention of their teams is in progress.

They confirm a major incident due to a fibre cut. Their teams are currently working on the repair, however a precise restoration time is not known because of the complexity of the intervention.
They hope for a complete resolution in the evening, and say they are doing everything possible to restore services as quickly as possible.

At our level, we are doing our utmost to reduce the number of customers affected, however, several days will be completely inaccessible until resolution.

Just out of interest, is anyone affected hosting stuff at Ikoula?

Comments

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

For me (having a tiny NAT VM there) connectivity is up but quite slow and laggy with a huge latency increase within their own datacenters, so they're currently re-routing traffic as mentioned over congested backup paths. At least their redundancy seems to work in some way. :)

Host                               Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. ik58161.ikexpress.com            0.0%    20    0.1   0.1   0.1   0.1   0.0
     2. et-t3.core14.ikdc1.ikoula.com    0.0%    20    2.2   3.2   1.0  10.5   2.8
     3. ik032140.ikoula.com              5.0%    20   71.9  65.5   8.0 122.7  41.3
     4. be2.rc1.ikdc2.ikoula.com         5.0%    20   87.4  68.3  24.3 109.4  26.7
     5. et-t1.core15.rb.ikoula.com       0.0%    20    4.2  10.6   4.2  23.9   6.2
     6. po2.core11.th2.ikoula.com        0.0%    20   56.4  80.1   6.7 274.0  58.9
     7. 195.42.144.100                   5.0%    20   65.8  67.6  11.1 121.0  39.4
     8. 108.170.244.225                  5.0%    20   38.9  71.8  10.9 155.9  43.9
     9. 216.239.48.139                   5.0%    20   22.9  79.2  13.7 129.0  42.9
    10. par10s41-in-f4.1e100.net         0.0%    20   23.0  75.1   5.5 121.6  42.4

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@dfroe Do you know which Datacenter?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@dfroe said: congested backup paths. At least their redundancy seems to work in some way.

It's not redundancy if there's no redundant capacity to use.

@Neoon said: Do you know which Datacenter?

Unfortunatelly not.
    But probably @mikho should be able to answer this question. ;)

@Clouvider said:

@dfroe said: congested backup paths. At least their redundancy seems to work in some way.

It's not redundancy if there's no redundant capacity to use.

Good point. It depends on the quality of your SLA/redundancy you want to achieve. ;)

Unfortunatelly I see many companies refusing to pay for equally sized backup paths (why should I pay the same amount of money for something I might never use..)

A few years back it seemed to be common to backup a business critical MPLS with a ISDN/PRI line. And once the MPLS failed, they wondered and had to send employees home. :)

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Yep, very very slow over here.

I set out this morning to do a Bullseye update, I guess that isn't happening anytime soon.

• OhJohnOhJohn Member

Now with their redundancy seen as a only 50% effective, they should bring back their 50% recurrent deals. The last couple of deals didn't hold up to it at all.

• Shot2Shot2 Member

"several days will be completely inaccessible"

Which ones? Mondays and fridays? :/

• raza19raza19 Veteran

My 2 servers at ikoula have been down since yesterday ! I am beyond angry right now. My websites are down and people have been calling me non-stop to find a resolution!!!
    Apparently Orange didnt perform the optic fiber repair yesterday despite ikoula claims, the following is the fresh response I got from ikoula:

Hello,

Orange has informed us that the intervention could not be carried out last night due to security conditions not respected (operation on the edge of the road).
    The work resumed this morning at 8:00 am, Orange indicates that the customers will be restored as the day goes on if everything goes well.

We have our Wikipedia platform where the clients can find guidance for their technical problems, to access the platform please click this link -> https://en-wiki.ikoula.com/en/Special:Categories

Thank you in advance!

Best regards / Met vriendelijke groeten / Cordialement

TAMIKA | Technical Support
    WE HOST WITH CARE
    Join us on our collaborative support site ikoula.wiki
    Rejoignez-nous sur notre site d’entraide collaboratif ikoula.wiki
    Ikoula FR : +33 1 84 01 02 50
    Ikoula NL : +31 102 439 370 | Ikoula BE : +32 28 087 076
    Ikoula ES : +34 911 237 760 | Ikoula PO : 0 800 500 123
    Ikoula UK : +44 2036 080 506 | Ikoula IT : 800 95 70 95

Please take a moment to evaluate my response here

edited July 2021

Well, they managed to bring the Machine back up via the congested backup link.
    Also got a updated email:

Hello,

Orange teams are still looking for the exact point (or points) where the fibre is cut.
    This/these cut(s) is/are located between 2 rooms separated by several kilometres.
    Excavations are still in progress. Teams are mobilized in the identified area.
    Orange is waiting for the field point, to have additional information on the upcoming repairs.

In the case of a single dry cut, it will be possible to carry out welding points, which would reduce the resolution time.
    If there are several, where soldering is not possible, they will have to do a total replacement of the fibre section,
    which should take several hours (no return of service until tomorrow morning)

However, disaster has struck again, in the second email.

We have been experiencing network disruptions since Tuesday 27th, around 12:10pm.
    Our main link route, managed by Orange is currently cut off, due to works on the side of a highway.
    All traffic is currently rerouted to our backup link, managed by Telia.
    This link is currently overloaded, potentially leading to slowner access or loss of access.

A maintenance operation planned for several weeks is taking place this evening on the Telia link, between 10pm and 7am. This will have a strong impact on the network connectivity for all "Express" servers

With Strong I guess they mean offline.
    So yea, basically the Server is down again over the backup link.

Very, colorful.

• debaserdebaser Member
    edited July 2021

Well, at least it’s reachable... :#

Screenshot

edited July 2021

@debaser said:
    Well, at least it’s reachable... :#

Screenshot

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited July 2021

Is "slowner" going to be a thing now, too? A bastard of down and slower?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Or slow owner to fix the involucrated stuff.

• notgodnotgod Member

i try use https://rpms.remirepo.net , but slow and dead
    remirepo.net using ikoula , found in twitter

Just got a email saying its fixed, can confirm that.