Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP prices to the moon?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IP prices to the moon?

aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider
edited July 2021 in General

Saw this today, what a shame. I remember just a couple months ago you could get some for $20-25/IP (and I thought that was expensive...)

Comments

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

still available at that price, and even now $53 /address is too expensive.

• The easiest solution is deploy IPv6

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

I know someone who is selling $30/IP, APNIC, still

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited July 2021

18EUR per IP was possible 2-3 months ago (EDIT: more like 5-6 months) in RIPE. I am pretty sure that with proper research and avoiding the auction sites - it's still possible.

• MarcoooMarcooo Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2021

30 EUR / 20 EUR per ip is now easly possible multiple subnets for sale for that even cheaper.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Pour out a bottle for @jbiloh.

Well, probably just hand him the bottle instead.

Francisco

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

In March, we could still purchase a /24 from Ipv4.global for $25.5/IP, then in May $32/IP, June $36/IP, at the beginning of July $37/IP and now it's $40+, crazy. Are there any places other than IPv4.global you guys suggest? Would like to purchase several /24 for our future expansion in APAC.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, China announced to dump all its IPv4, so no one is going to die here.
    Enough OIL for everyone.

• user54321user54321 Member
    edited July 2021

@Neoon said:
    Enough OIL for everyone.

they announced that they go IPv6 only but never said anything to let their IPv4 space go. They could simply do it like the USA, sit on it and do nothing with it. They could even buy every IPv4 space on the market to force the IPv6 transition :D

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@user54321 said: They could simply do it like the USA, sit on it and do nothing with it.

That's exactly what every government and large ISP will do.

There's little upside to selling - millions or even a billion dollars means nothing for government budgets. ISPs make more in a month of service than they could in one-time revenue for selling IPs - better to keep them and still be able to offer every customer a dedicated v4 address.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Neoon said: Enough OIL for everyone.

Funny that you compare it with the oil, they do share a lot of features.
    1. It is a limited resource (except that, while with oil you don't know exactly where last deposits are, with IPs you know);
    2. Alternatives exist but the transition is not popular due to various reasons (mostly inertia and some interests);
    3. Many alternatives are practically unlimited;
    4. The prices might be going up but, in the end, once transition is picking up pace, people sitting on it will lose out. On the other hand, if you sell a lot now, the prices will plummet.

• tomazutomazu Member, Host Rep

@user54321 said:

@Neoon said:
    Enough OIL for everyone.

they announced that they go IPv6 only but never said anything to let their IPv4 space go. They could simply do it like the USA, sit on it and do nothing with it. They could even buy every IPv4 space on the market to force the IPv6 transition :D

that would not be particular, I think they've announced such things in the past.

The interesting part was that by 2030 a single stack policy should be in place, meaning an IPv6-only stack (as compared to a dual stack with IPv4 also in the mix). Maybe I misinterpreted that and probably it will turn out differently.

On the other side I see IPv6 picking up pace, but generally routing issues are still taken care of with lower priority than on IPv4 for example. Rarely I see some paths giving lower latency using IPv6 than IPv4, but there is still work to do with some tools and tooling, network lookups etc.

I am still not entirely convinced that the pricing we see on Hilco Streambank is the real market price - while Hilco is pretty transparent with past auction results etc., they still control the supply a little bit (selling blocks over larger time periods) and one has to keep track oneself about failed deals and/or if the transfer really went through.

• @Harambe said:
    ISPs make more in a month of service than they could in one-time revenue for selling IPs - better to keep them and still be able to offer every customer a dedicated v4 address.

That I don't see here. The ISP I'm with sold 10-15 years ago a large portion of their IPv4 space and did switch every non business customer to Dual Stack Lite (CGN)

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

@user54321 said:

@Harambe said:
    ISPs make more in a month of service than they could in one-time revenue for selling IPs - better to keep them and still be able to offer every customer a dedicated v4 address.

That I don't see here. The ISP I'm with sold 10-15 years ago a large portion of their IPv4 space and did switch every non business customer to Dual Stack Lite (CGN)

when IP reach 1 million they will regret they didnt hodl

• @ezeth said:

@user54321 said:

@Harambe said:

when IP reach 1 million they will regret they didnt hodl

Should be soon that it will reach 1 million VND, and I think my ISP will give zero f