Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your ideal VPS, what kind of offers would you like to see here on LET?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's your ideal VPS, what kind of offers would you like to see here on LET?

ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
edited July 2021 in General

Hello everyone, I hope you're doing great.

It's hard for us providers to guess what kind of offers you want.

After thinking about what my next offer should be I thought it might be best to ask you, the LET community.

I'm open to suggestions and I will pick a few suggestions on price, and specs and try to include them in my next offering.

It's a great thread for many other providers too that can use this information to make offerings that best match what you want.

Please try to post serious suggestions(not 10000GB ssd for 1USD/yr) on what your dream configuration is

Thanks

Thanked by 1kalipus

Comments

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited July 2021

Specs:

• Modern CPU: No 9-year-old Intel E3 or E5 that uses slow DDR3 RAM.
    • ECC RAM please
    • Modern NVMe SSD

Features:

• Floating IPs: Can assign IPs to any VPS in the same data center. eg if a user gets 3 VPSes in the same location, they'll have 3 IPs in their account and can assign them to any of the VPSes. Useful for hot failovers and migrations to a new OS version (clone the old VPS to a new one, do the upgrade on the new one, then swap the IPs once everything has been tested)

• Having an API for this would be awesome, as automatic failover could be implemented (if one VPS stops responding for some period of time, swap the IPs across)
    • Ability to mount ISO and change reverse DNS in the control panel

• Two-factor auth for the control panel
    • Optional hourly billing

The only host I've seen come close, particularly with the more advanced features like floating IPs is BinaryLane. Would be nice to have a similarly sophisticated VPS provider outside of Australia :)

• This was the last crazy deal from Hosthatch from 2020 BF. Something along those lines
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/168301/black-friday-2020-nvme-and-storage-deals-deploy-worldwide/p1

2 CPU core (50% dedicated, burstable up to 200%)
    8 GB RAM
    40 GB RAID-10 NVMe
    $30 per year

• 15$/year for 250GB Block Storage
    Thanked by 2Cybr lanefu
  • nvme SSD raid 10
    ddr4 ECC
    1 vcore per 1gb ram
    5/10gbps

• You can take a look on recent GreenCloud and Racknerd's Ryzen deals ;)

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

• good cpu performance, whether that means ryzen or just more E5 cores
    • monthly billing from less established providers
    • ability to upgrade storage before purchasing (at a fair price) or block storage options
    • near perfect uptime and good network stability and performance (although network speed is not important, 100mbps is good for me. just needs to be stable)
    • good ddos protection
    • good support
    • good but sustainable pricing

• gappergapper Member
    edited July 2021
    • Ability to buy the VPS for some time lets say 1 week and then shutdown it let say for 3 months without having to pay a penny and then turn it on back and then start paying again.
    • Dedicated CPU threads.
    • Competitive pricing in a monthly basis, not annual contract.
    • Awesome boomer sitckers.
  • ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2021

@somever said:
    You can take a look on recent GreenCloud and Racknerd's Ryzen deals ;)

Why not. So something along these lines?

1 CPU
    30 GB SSD Pure Storage
    1 GB RAM
    1000 GB Monthly Transfer
    1Gbps Network Port
    1 Dedicated IPv4 Address
    1 Dedicated IPv6 Address
    KVM / Virtualizor Control Panel
    Ability to set reverse DNS
    ONLY $12.25/YEAR!

Differences:Cheaper, less bandwidth (who uses 3TB/month anyway), includes a IPv6, has the ability to set reverse DNS and pure ssd no ssd cache. If you feel like something needs to be changed please post a modified specs/price :)

Let's create the ideal VPS configuration together guys!

• The top thing is to be sustainable and your company must look legit.
    Then this plan should be attractive here: 512MB/1GB KVM, 10GB SSD, dedicated IPv4 and /64 IPv6 subnet with proper rdns support, with a reasonable annually pricing.

• @bruh21 said: • ability to upgrade storage before purchasing (at a fair price) or block storage options

Oh, this reminds me of some points I forgot to mention:

Features:

• Ability to upgrade/downgrade instantly
    • Ability to upgrade stuff à la carte, for example only upgrade disk space or RAM without having to upgrade to a higher plan. BinaryLane does this well.

@ezeth said: Why not. So something along these lines?
    1 CPU

Which CPU? How many years old is it?

edited July 2021

@Daniel15 said:

@bruh21 said: • ability to upgrade storage before purchasing (at a fair price) or block storage options

Features:

• Ability to upgrade stuff à la carte, for example only upgrade disk space or RAM without having to upgrade to a higher plan. BinaryLane does this well.

1 CPU

it's quite old. I got two of these. With tuned it usually runs at about 2.3 GHz. I believe RackNerd has similar cpus

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/75267/intel-xeon-processor-e5-2640-v2-20m-cache-2-00-ghz.html

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited July 2021

@ezeth said:

@Daniel15 said:

@bruh21 said: • ability to upgrade storage before purchasing (at a fair price) or block storage options

Features:

1 CPU

it's quite old. I got two of these. With tuned it usually runs at about 2.3 GHz. I believe RackNerd has similar cpus

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/75267/intel-xeon-processor-e5-2640-v2-20m-cache-2-00-ghz.html

These are very old :) Not sure about other people but I'd be happy to pay more to get a modern CPU rather than a second-hand 8-year-old processor. A lot has changed in the past 8 years with regards to processors in terms of features and performance. The speed difference between DDR3-1600 and DDR4-4000 is very noticeable :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2021

My needs are minimum 512 mb, 30 GB disk (any kind), unmettered trafic but if not, 1 tb/month minimum.
    Any 7-5 yo CPU should do as long as it is not abused (1 shared core).
    Ideal plan would be 1 GB RAM and a slightly better CPU.
    Price 12/year or less if in a location where I don't already have (i have many). I could fork some more for exotic places.

• hnzlethnzlet Member

Custom ISOs without a support ticket

If I can mount my own OpenBSD or FreeDOS or Hannah Montana Linux ISO without opening a ticket, that goes a long way toward keeping this tinkerer happy.

I'm not sure why it's not more common, maybe it's abused by cryptominers or script kiddies or people wanting "free extra storage"? Not sure

Thanked by 2ezeth yoursunny

@hnzlet said:
    Custom ISOs without a support ticket

If I can mount my own OpenBSD or FreeDOS or Hannah Montana Linux ISO without opening a ticket, that goes a long way toward keeping this tinkerer happy.

I'm not sure why it's not more common, maybe it's abused by cryptominers or script kiddies or people wanting "free extra storage"? Not sure

Why not https://www.virtualizor.com/docs/enduser/end-user-iso/

Less work for me, and easier for you.

Thanked by 1hnzlet
    edited July 2021

@hnzlet said: I'm not sure why it's not more common, maybe it's abused by cryptominers or script kiddies or people wanting "free extra storage"? Not sure

i dont see why cryptominers would need an ISO. Or script kiddies. As for the free extra storage, I doubt you would have unlimited space anywhere.
    For example we offer true cloud with the ability to download any iso (over http/ftp as the certificates are usually rejected by cloudstack) but the storage taken is billed for personal ones (of course, on demand, we can add to our library, but there must be more than 1-2 people asking for some exotic flavour and that is free). It also allows for upgrade/downgrade cpu/ram but they are in locked steps, not arbitrary numbers.

edited July 2021

@Maounique said:

@hnzlet said: I'm not sure why it's not more common, maybe it's abused by cryptominers or script kiddies or people wanting "free extra storage"? Not sure

i dont see why cryptominers would need an ISO. Or script kiddies. As for the free extra storage, I doubt you would have unlimited space anywhere.
    For example we offer true cloud with the ability to download any iso (over http/ftp as the certificates are usually rejected by cloudstack) but the storage taken is billed for personal ones (of course, on demand, we can add to our library, but there must be more than 1-2 people asking for some exotic flavour and that is free). It also allows for upgrade/downgrade cpu/ram but they are in locked steps, not arbitrary numbers.

I think it's better to just have the ISO auto delete after 24 hours. What do you guys think?

@ezeth said: I think it's better to just have the ISO auto delete after 24 hours.

And the traffic to download counted :P

• hnzlethnzlet Member
    edited July 2021

I think it's better to just have the ISO auto delete after 24 hours. What do you guys think?

That sounds fine to me from a hobbyist customer's POV. I'm either quickly trying something out or installing it, but either way don't really need the ISO mounted for more than a couple of hours.

Thanked by 2ezeth yoursunny
    edited July 2021

@Daniel15 said:
    Ability to upgrade/downgrade instantly

This is why I like Openvz7 so much. You can upgrade/downgrade your storage, ram, anything without rebooting, resizing or any hassle. For KVM upgrading should work fine, but I don't know about downgrading disk

Another feature that might be useful. Snapshots. What do you guys think about this? I don't mind including one snapshot.

• Something like

1 Core vps
    5 TB bandwidth per month (This could be altered if not 5, minimum 2 TB will be great)
    1 TB harddisk
    512 MB RAM (1 GB would be much better)

price 50 euros per 3 year or 17 euros per one year.

Above specs were provided by hostsolution.ro in special deal of blackfriday.

• How bout don't follow in hostsolutions footsteps...

Thanked by 2Daniel15 drunkendog
  • @Merlincool said:
    Something like

1 Core vps
    5 TB bandwidth per month (This could be altered if not 5, minimum 2 TB will be great)
    1 TB harddisk

You could get from HostHatch BF more peeformance and very stable network for less than $40 per year

• AMD Ryzen is much more powerful and smoother than E5 <3

• valkvalk Member

GPU passthrough for cheap

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @chocolateshirt said:

@Merlincool said:
    Something like

1 Core vps
    1 TB harddisk

You could get from HostHatch BF more peeformance and very stable network for less than $40 per year

Much better to get time4vps then, it's around 34-35 dollars for one year and I am having vps with them since past 4-5 years no problems at all, except once there was data loss but that's acceptable, they already have notice to keep backups as they won't be doing one at such low specs vps.

@Merlincool said: they already have notice to keep backups as they won't be doing one at such low specs vps.

Even if they do, if your data matter, you have your own.

• JioJio Member

@ezeth said: This is why I like Openvz7 so much. You can upgrade/downgrade your storage, ram, anything without rebooting, resizing or any hassle. For KVM upgrading should work fine, but I don't know about downgrading disk

sorry, but how on earth does openvz work just the same if you are using 30gb of your disk and you ask to downgrade it to 20? just randomly pick files to delete?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@ezeth said:
    This is why I like Openvz7 so much. You can upgrade/downgrade your storage, ram, anything without rebooting, resizing or any hassle.

The major downside of OpenVZ7 is its venet network interface, which is not an Ethernet interface and thus not fully compatible with IPv6.
    If you can provide veth network interface, it'll work a lot better.
    However, I haven't seen anyone use veth.

For KVM upgrading should work fine, but I don't know about downgrading disk

Upgrading disk still requires resizing the filesystem on the virtual disk.
    This could be automated in most cases, and almost never result in data loss.
    Expanding the filesystem usually requires a reboot, unless the guest VM uses XFS or similar.

Downgrading could be possible, but only after the filesystem is resized, leaving the last x GB of the virtual disk unpartitioned.
    However, shrinking a filesystem is more risky that expanding it.

@Jio said:
    sorry, but how on earth does openvz work just the same if you are using 30gb of your disk and you ask to downgrade it to 20? just randomly pick files to delete?

OpenVZ and other container technology do not give each VM a separate filesystem.
    It's just a folder on the host machine.
    This is what allows instant downgrading without rebooting.

If you have more than 20GB of files, you can't downgrade to 20GB.
    Downgrading would fail in this case.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

128GB RAM Ryzen for $7/m

Thanked by 1yoursunny