Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

go from vps to dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

go from vps to dedicated server

sucre13sucre13 Member
edited July 2021 in Help

I would like you to guide me a little, please, I am currently in a vps in ovh I use xenforo to run my website I have received about 130 thousand visits per month I use this plan

the cost would be 23 dollars a month 160gb 8gb ram I have been looking at a dedicated server at soyoustart.com

I would pay 35 dollars that would be 12 dollars more I would like to know your opinions and help me make a decision, it would be more space and I had my own dedicated server

I currently occupy 21gb of space on my page

this would be my statistics in webmin of my website

I would like to know what decision you made if you ran into this little problem

by the way the vps server is in america and the dedicated server is in fracia

Comments

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

More than likely with OVH VPS they keep backups if the drive were to fail (though you should already be taking backups of the site externally). Ensure to select the correct raid you need, raid 1 is ideal in case of a drive failure.

• @Ian_Dot_Tech said:
    More than likely with OVH VPS they keep backups if the drive were to fail (though you should already be taking backups of the site externally). Ensure to select the correct raid you need, raid 1 is ideal in case of a drive failure.

What I want to know is if it is convenient to go from vps to dedicated, the vps that I have is in Canada and the dedicated one is in France, I currently live in Latin America

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Running a VPS and a dedi is essentially the same.

What's your question?

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

And why you want to spend more? This VPS is already overkill for your usage, you can downgrade and spend less.
    If you want to have more space (you are using less than 36GB now according to stats) then you can take a look at OVH block storage which will give you replication in 3 datacenters.
    36GB block storage costs less than $2 and you don't have single point of failure like with dedi.

Thanked by 2yoursunny dahartigan
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

@sucre13 said:

@Ian_Dot_Tech said:

What I want to know is if it is convenient to go from vps to dedicated, the vps that I have is in Canada and the dedicated one is in France, I currently live in Latin America

I would suggest you to pick any cloud provider that has datacenter in Miami. Good pings to South America and plenty of good offers...

@seriesn has nice offer in Miami https://entrybytes.com/ take a look at Intermediate VPS which combine good performance, lot of space and low price. Miami location is available and that should give you better results than OVH, especially compared to France datacenter that you looking at.

Thanked by 2seriesn dahartigan
  • If you are hosting "only" Xenforo, have you thought on getting/trying a web hosting company?

No worries about DDOS, failing disks, web painel license, less worries about the database being seen/hacked, backups, etc.

Been with Netcup for 6 months now and so far so good.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Based on the resource usage you showed in the screenshot, it doesn't seem that you 'need' a dedicated server. Managing it will be essentially the same of what you're doing now, but at an added cost and more risk of data loss unless you're also storing your own off-site backups. And depending on what sort of drive(s) are in the dedicated server, you may get better disk performance on the VPS.

• IMO you don't need a dedi for that. You could definitely save money by using shared hosting, or even a smaller VPS.

Nexus Bytes and Hostodo both offer Miami which is the closest affordable location to service South America etc and they both offer decent affordable service.