Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup.eu root servers. Do they go beyond base frequency?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup.eu root servers. Do they go beyond base frequency?

juansejuanse Member
edited July 2021 in Providers

Hi. I've got a root server with 2 cores/8GB RAM. They advertise in their site they use AMD Epyc 7702 processors. In the specs they have 2.0 Ghz of base frequency reaching up to 3.35 Ghz.

In my computer when I run 'lscpu' I get Min and Max Mhz, but then I get into the server and do the same and I don't get any reference to Max frequency. Just base ~1.996 Mhz per core.

Also I have noticed that output from lscpu throws that I get 1 thread per core. Original procesor have 2 threads per core.

I am missing something?

Comments

• Frequency got capped and you can't do anything about it.

• juansejuanse Member

:o :o :o Wow

I don't know now where is the line of scam, but certainly not far away.

I don't see the point of advertising cutting edge processors and doing this.

Yes, it's cheap, but I would rather not to be cheated.

• TeYroXTeYroX Member

KVM will show you stock base clock, not current one. Thats why it's showing 2Ghz instead of any higher value.

• juansejuanse Member

But it's possible to know if it works beyond that?

• @juanse said:
    But it's possible to know if it works beyond that?

Not possible. You can only see the real frequencies on the host server. Like @TeYroX said, KVM only shows the base clock.

• juansejuanse Member

Thank you for the resource. I got to understand it with the help of google translator.

It is my understanding that it won't pass beyond the base frequency then.

I am somehow upset. It is cheap and the service so long has been good, but I feel I have been played with their marketing materials. The offering is not clearly stated.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Time to sue then.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

In Netcup dedicated cores = dedicated threads.
    They just guarantee that they wont throttle cores if you will put heavy load on it. Your performance still can be different because of neighbors (cache penalty, load on second thread).
    That's true for pretty much every other provider with "dedicated vCPU". There are some exceptions for ex. Oracle where they are using OCPU term instead of vCPU and that means physical core (so 2 threads = 1 OCPU in CPUs with HT/SMT).

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • juansejuanse Member
    edited July 2021

@AXYZE said:
    In Netcup dedicated cores = dedicated threads.
    They just guarantee that they wont throttle cores if you will put heavy load on it. Your performance still can be different because of neighbors (cache penalty, load on second thread).
    That's true for pretty much every other provider with "dedicated vCPU". There are some exceptions for ex. Oracle where they are using OCPU term instead of vCPU and that means physical core (so 2 threads = 1 OCPU in CPUs with HT/SMT).

Contabo, a direct competitor, offers Hyperthreading in their cores, which effectively translates (and they state it) into 2vCores per every physical core. Also their base frequency is much higher (2.8 Ghz) -> https://contabo.com/en/vds/

I think they are less misleading.

No sure about direct comparison, though.

• nfnnfn Veteran
    edited July 2021

As I understand it, the hypervisor decides whether to increase the frequency, but this is not visible to the guest.

In any case, the service is very stable and with an excellent performance for the price.

• Aquatis_JosephAquatis_Joseph Member, Patron Provider

When I was hosting with them, my frequency got capped.

• juansejuanse Member

@nfn said:
    As I understand it, the hypervisor decides whether to increase the frequency, but this is not visible to the guest.

In any case, the service is very stable and with an excellent performance for the price.

I agree, but the point is that if you advertise something X, you expect something X, not something X-Y.

Their service and offering is good enough, they shouldn't use these dirty tricks.
    I have written to support to confirm this is true. I will share here the answer.

• notarobonotarobo Member
    edited July 2021

just avoid netcup if have CPU problem. many Better provider if no need alot data transfer.

• juansejuanse Member

@notarobo said:
    just avoid netcup if have CPU problem. many Better provider if no need alot data transfer.

I don't have them -yet, but it's hard to beat their offering. For an IoT backend data transfer and availability of cores are important. What other do you have in mind?

• fLoofLoo Member
    edited July 2021

I switched off Netcup after they've sold me advertised 200gb as raid1 which turned out to be 100gb usable in the end. Since then i do not suggest them to anyone anymore.

• JioJio Member

@juanse said: I think they are less misleading.

The amount of CPU steal though at contraboe

• juansejuanse Member

@Jio said:

@juanse said: I think they are less misleading.

The amount of CPU steal though at contraboe

What's contraboe? Don't understand.

• JioJio Member

@juanse said: What's contraboe? Don't understand.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3256849/#Comment_3256849

You don't any better, even if the CPU resource looks higher.

• juansejuanse Member

I've got my answer, and I will share it here as I promised:

"We cannot guarantee the boost clock of the CPU due to limitations. We can therefore only guarantee a clock speed which is between the Min. & Max. speed of the CPU."