Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems like KeepSolid SmartDNS expanded their supported channels a bit and are listening to feedback?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seems like KeepSolid SmartDNS expanded their supported channels a bit and are listening to feedback?

So, I just realised that Keepsolid SmartDNS now can also unblock Crunchyroll.
I remember asking them about this a long while back and it seems like they have either listened to my request or it was just on their roadmap, anyway. Regardless, it is nice to see them improving their SmartDNS Service which is why I am again happy to have settled with them for the long term (also got their smartdns lifetime plan). Comparing it to Getflix Lifetime SmartDNS the service from Keepsolid still is lacking in terms of features/channels but it is good to see them moving forward, even if slowly :)

https://www.keepsolid.com/smartdns/supported-channels

Thanked by 1PandoGulf

Comments

• What is the difference between VPN and SmartDNS ? If you don't mind me asking

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2021

@PandoGulf said:
    What is the difference between VPN and SmartDNS ? If you don't mind me asking

SmartDNS tends to be faster and focuses on unblocking since no encryption is taking place afaik. Also no app needed. Just set smartdns on firetvstick dns settings and good to go :)

Thanked by 1PandoGulf
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

When I last used KeepSolid's SmartDNS, roughly about a year ago, they only had 2 IPs/locations to choose from, US and EU, and IIRC, the EU one was an OVH IP, which is basically FR.

Has anything changed?

@Ympker said:

@PandoGulf said:
    What is the difference between VPN and SmartDNS ? If you don't mind me asking

SmartDNS tends to be faster and focuses on unblocking since no encryption is taking place afaik. Also no app needed. Just set smartdns on firetvstick dns settings and good to go :)

You'll need to "register" your IP to the SmartDNS service (usually via an app or website) before you're granted access to use the DNS.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @DP said: You'll need to "register" your IP to the SmartDNS service

I have a dynamic IP. Do I need to re-enter my IP every time? Or is there a config for things like TV's?

• AFAIK, "Smart" DNS will return region specific IP for specific services when your client does a lookup. It is used to request a specific region's content.

Example:

If you're in Australia and ask for server.netflix.com from this smartDNS, it will return the US IPs -- thus showing you the US catalogue of content.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@sdglhm said:

@DP said: You'll need to "register" your IP to the SmartDNS service

I have a dynamic IP. Do I need to re-enter my IP every time? Or is there a config for things like TV's?

You can usually update the ip via the app. I also have a dynamic IP, however it somehow never needed an update. Maybe saves device LAN ip instead?

@Ympker said:

@sdglhm said:

You can usually update the ip via the app. I also have a dynamic IP, however it somehow never needed an update. Maybe saves device LAN ip instead?

I have a dynamic IP too and I don't think that'll work, as in registering the LAN IP.

Based on my experience, you'll need to register/associate your external IP address to the service and then only you'll be able to use the nameserver(s). So if your IP changes, you'll need to update it via the app to be able to continue using the nameserver(s), or else it won't work, and I think this is where "Automatic IP Update" comes in handy.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@DP said:

@Ympker said:

@sdglhm said:

I have a dynamic IP too and I don't think that'll work, as in registering the LAN IP.

Based on my experience, you'll need to register/associate your external IP address to the service and then only you'll be able to use the nameserver(s). So if your IP changes, you'll need to update it via the app to be able to continue using the nameserver(s), or else it won't work, and I think this is where "Automatic IP Update" comes in handy.

A fair enough :D Yeah, probably automatic update is handy then :)

@Ympker said: probably automatic update is handy then

Yeah, it's the same with Smart DNS Proxy and Getflix too I believe, but they probably have their own ways to automatically update user's IP.

Personally, my IP doesn't change unless the router is restarted or it's forced to reconnect for whatever reason, so whatever IP I initially register to KeepSolid SmartDNS will usually be working for months :D

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@DP said:

@Ympker said: probably automatic update is handy then

Yeah, it's the same with Smart DNS Proxy and Getflix too I believe, but they probably have their own ways to automatically update user's IP.

Personally, my IP doesn't change unless the router is restarted or it's forced to reconnect for whatever reason, so whatever IP I initially register to KeepSolid SmartDNS will usually be working for months :D

I also think mine is no longer dynamic (it was for a long time). Now it is only shared public ipv4 among many Vodafone users.