Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostigation OVZ First Impressions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostigation OVZ First Impressions

dancom96dancom96 Member
edited March 2012 in Reviews

I needed a 128MB OVZ to host my personal blog, and I needed an east coast provider (I live in Atlantic Canada) since I would also use it from time to time as a VPN while using public hotspots, so I picked up a 128mb Hostigation OVZ located in CLT (North Carolina?).

They are apparently a one man job, but the service is top notch. Tim/miTgiB seems like a very honest guy around the forums, and offers quick ticket responses; setup was within 10 min, and it took half an hour to enable TUN/TAP.

VPS hasn't gone down by itself since I bought it 2 weeks ago, but today I am putting it in production for my site, so I'll post another update on uptime later on, but judging from posts elsewhere, I don't think I'll have issues.

I'm not sure what to put in a review, but the VPS is very fast compared to my AlienVPS, and here are some benchmarks :D:
Amazing io/write speed.
# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 5.52316 s, 194 MB/s
# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 5.06114 s, 212 MB/s

IOping seems decent.
# ioping . -c 10 4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=1 time=9.2 ms 4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=2 time=0.1 ms 4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=3 time=0.1 ms 4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=4 time=0.1 ms 4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=5 time=0.1 ms 4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=6 time=0.1 ms 4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=7 time=0.1 ms 4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=8 time=0.1 ms 4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=9 time=0.1 ms 4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=10 time=0.1 ms --- . (simfs /dev/simfs) ioping statistics --- 10 requests completed in 9018.5 ms, 990 iops, 3.9 mb/s min/avg/max/mdev = 0.1/1.0/9.2/2.7 ms

Geekbench http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view?id=574284 (E3's :D)
System Information Platform: Linux x86 (32-bit) Compiler: GCC 4.1.2 20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-33) Operating System: Linux 2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.028stab095.1 i686 Model: Linux PC (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz) Motherboard: Unknown Motherboard Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz Processor ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7 Logical Processors: 1 Physical Processors: 1 Processor Frequency: 3.19 GHz L1 Instruction Cache: 0.00 B L1 Data Cache: 0.00 B L2 Cache: 256 KB L3 Cache: 0.00 B Bus Frequency: 0.00 Hz Memory: 15.6 GB Memory Type: N/A SIMD: 1 BIOS: N/A Processor Model: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz Processor Cores: 1 Overall Geekbench Score: 4459 |||||||||||||||||

My memory usage with Apache 2.4 + PHP-FPM + MariaDB 5.5 + OpenVPN (stress tested it using apachebench, couldn't get usage to rise above 100mb so I should be safe)
# free -m total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 256 87 168 0 0 0 -/+ buffers/cache: 87 168 Swap: 0 0 0

So overall, I am very impressed with Hostigation :)

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

+1 for Hostigation too :)

• premisopremiso Member
    edited March 2012

I just bought the same thing to replace my monitoring site one my VooServer (Love Voo, but too pricey) setup is done with. Once I have more time to mess around with it I will write a review about it :)

• @dancom96 said: it took half an hour to enable TUN/TAP.

This is now in SolusVM as well as pptp, so I hope you don't wait on me again, those 10-30 minute responce times are a killer :P

Glad you are liking the service, and now that I seem to finally have a fix for the e1000e Intel NIC and EL you should see uptimes of many months.

Love that memory usage with Apache 2.4, they are really going to give Nginx and Lighttpd a run for the money now.

@dancom96 said: They are apparently a one man job

I prefer to put on a show rather than work a job

• dancom96dancom96 Member
    edited March 2012

@liam said: @dancom96 So many followers! Loads seem fake though, did you pay for some?

No I did not, though I can see why you'd think that. I used to follow a bunch and they would follow me back as well (under a different username, dancom96), and then I left my Twitter unused for about a year. I wanted to create a new Twitter that my website would link to, but I didn't want to delete this one either, so I changed the username, deleted all follows and tweets (Twitter shows 12k tweets for some reason, though they stop after only a couple)

@miTgiB said: This is now in SolusVM as well as pptp, so I hope you don't wait on me again, those 10-30 minute responce times are a killer :P

Yeah I noticed that after you enabled it for me :P I don't know if you've changed this or not, but when I signed up the email said to open a ticket if I wanted it enabled.

@miTgiB said: I prefer to put on a show rather than work a job

Well I'm really liking the show you're putting on, service is very good and consistent :)

• JacobJacob Member

Tim what drives are you using in these servers? RE 3/4?

• @Jacob said: what drives are you using in these servers?

Whatever is cheap when I am buying, I only look at pricing on WD RE2/3/4 Seagate Constellation and Hitachi UltraStar. Can't believe I paid $110 for WD RE4's this week and that was on sale.

• Tim's services seem to be treating as well as they've treated me, always a pleasure to add a plus one to any recommendations :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@miTgiB said: Can't believe I paid $110 for WD RE4's this week and that was on sale.

That's the market, I'm afraid, when the floods happened i was thinking of 2 months at most of prices to be high, but not this high either. Looks like there are more factors there, the M&A and slow market killed some competition, I am afraid the situation might last for longer. I am praying my HDDs hold for now, I wouldnt like to be forced to buy at these prices.
    M

• JacobJacob Member
    edited March 2012

$110 is cheap for RE4 Hard Drives.

@Maounique said: hat's the market, I'm afraid, when the floods happened i was thinking of 2 months at most of prices to be high

• Wow...it's amazing I/O speed. Mine is smaller than your result even my vps is OVZ1024. I have submitted an ticket to Tim for getting better I/O :D

Nice sharing...

• @Dionysus said: I've always wondered why more people haven't gone for his VPS' rather than other providers such as Quickweb and Ramhost.

I would guess my problem with keeping stock available being the biggest reason, but if I cannot pay cash, I don't buy something. I do limit how fast I grow, as being a one man show, I now I am limited to the amount of support I can offer, and new sign ups require more support for a short period, so to keep their experience pleasant, I limit how much stock is available.

I did put KVM stock out today in Los Angles though. I had planned on OpenVZ as well, but due to some bad parts and need to replace a node in Charlotte, that is on hold for a bit.

• @Infinity said: +1 for Hostigation too :)

This. Very stable and good performance.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@DotVPS said: Isn't Hostigation the oldest host on LEB/LET? 6 years today...

Even though Tim is older than Time, Burstnet has him beat by 15 additional years :P

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Burstnet has him beat by 15 additional years

I question their accounting, they are counting time as a PC vendor, as an ISP I have them beat by a couple of years.

• @miTgiB said: I question their accounting, they are counting time as a PC vendor, as an ISP I have them beat by a couple of years.

You've been in business longer than google. Haha.

• @Dionysus said: Ever thought about hiring other people

Yes, but they would probably expect to get paid. I don't have money for that, it is better spent on more nodes.

• @Kairus said: in business longer than google

I remember the Yahoo IPO

• @miTgiB I would be willing to do it for free just to help, but I am sure our hours would overlap. Plus, you probably wouldn't want me. I just need to learn more stuff about security and other administration.

• Threads like these are what keep Hostigation going.

Admittedly, I was hesitant to ordering before hearing the reviews.
    But, since ordering 3 VPSs from Tim, I haven't looked back :)

• dancom96dancom96 Member
    edited March 2012

Forgot to make a network benchmark, so here it is, very fast :)
    Also, anyone know why I get weird characters like "â"?

wget -O /dev/null http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2012-03-22 18:35:04--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: â/dev/nullâ

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 59.9M/s   in 1.7s

2012-03-22 18:35:06 (59.9 MB/s) - â/dev/nullâ
  • novanova Member

Gotta love Hostigation - Tim runs a solid shop and I've never had any major issue with his service.

• gianggiang Veteran

@Dionysus said: I'm waiting to snap up another VPS from Hostigation but I guess they're out of stock for a while.

They got KVM stock :D But you should act fast before someone else does :P

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited March 2012

Yeah, they are darn good, I have a KVM from them and it is rock solid.

• @Dionysus said: I guess they're out of stock for a while.

OpenVZ in Los Angeles is the all that is out, just waiting on some RMA's back.