Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Block Storage Slab Las vegas (buyvm) for movies and tv shows?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Block Storage Slab Las vegas (buyvm) for movies and tv shows?

postotalpostotal Member

I would like to know if there is any problem in using Block Storage Slab from Las Vegas to host movies and series for private use, I will use it on a server with jellyfin that only family and friends will access

Comments

• @postotal said:
    I would like to know if there is any problem in using Block Storage Slab from Las Vegas to host movies and series for private use, I will use it on a server with jellyfin that only family and friends will access

Friends from all over the world? Some will say they have millions of friends.

Unless or until you don't get copyright claims you are good to go I believe.

• @imgmoney said:

@postotal said:

excuse my English. I want to mount a VPS for private use, maximum about 50 people, but I do not know if I can use the Block Storage SLAB in the USA to host that type of content. There will be no DMCA complaints because it is for private use

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@postotal said:

@imgmoney said:

@postotal said:

excuse my English. I want to mount a VPS for private use, maximum about 50 people, but I do not know if I can use the Block Storage SLAB in the USA to host that type of content. There will be no DMCA complaints because it is for private use

if there's no dmca complaints i don't think it will be an issue

Thanked by 1postotal
  • @postotal said:

@imgmoney said:

@postotal said:

You'll probably need a bigger plan with more bandwidth. I don't know the limits, just saying.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited July 2021

A lot of people (including me) are using Google Workspace/Gsuite with unlimited disk for this. Add some cheapo VPS with SSD for caching, install rclone and done.
    I pay 9 euro/mo for Gsuite and have 21TB on it. Cheapest VPS plan from netcup (2.69eur/mo) will be enough and you could have ~12GB fast cache with clean Debian 10.
    There's two limitations for Google: API Limit and 750GB transfer/day limit. There's no way you will hit them with this kind of use so it will work awesome from any location with 0 downtime. If you would go with Google Drive website/app instead of Jellyfin then you also have quality selector like on YouTube (360p, 720p, 1080p etc.) because they transcode videos to lower resolutions automatically.

You can also check Yandisk.Disk as alternative - 2,82$/mo for 1TB. You can also save some bucks on VPS by choosing LET VPS provider with $1-2/mo offer. There's plenty to choose from ex. RackNerd from @dustinc or @time4vps. This Yandex+VPS combo will be cheaper than BuyVM 1TB slab alone. Slab will be faster and you can put any file with any extension and filesize, but for movies you don't need neither of these benefits so just go with any cloud storage provider.

Thanked by 1time4vps
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Not a problem.

Francisco

• wionswions Member

@AXYZE said:
    A lot of people (including me) are using Google Workspace/Gsuite with unlimited disk for this. Add some cheapo VPS with SSD for caching, install rclone and done.
    I pay 9 euro/mo for Gsuite and have 21TB on it. Cheapest VPS plan from netcup (2.69eur/mo) will be enough and you could have ~12GB fast cache with clean Debian 10.
    There's two limitations for Google: API Limit and 750GB transfer/day limit. There's no way you will hit them with this kind of use so it will work awesome from any location with 0 downtime. If you would go with Google Drive website/app instead of Jellyfin then you also have quality selector like on YouTube (360p, 720p, 1080p etc.) because they transcode videos to lower resolutions automatically.

You can also check Yandisk.Disk as alternative - 2,82$/mo for 1TB. You can also save some bucks on VPS by choosing LET VPS provider with $1-2/mo offer. There's plenty to choose from ex. RackNerd from @dustinc or @time4vps. This Yandex+VPS combo will be cheaper than BuyVM 1TB slab alone. Slab will be faster and you can put any file with any extension and filesize, but for movies you don't need neither of these benefits so just go with any cloud storage provider.

Believe this has been discontinued, but good on ya.

• there all products out of stock.

• @ruhulamin7 said:
    there all products out of stock.

It usually will back to ready stock on 1st or 7th every month..

@chocolateshirt said: It usually will back to ready stock on 1st or 7th every month..

Yep, sorry about that! Working on LUX Slices at the moment but we're outta slabs until the 1st at the earliest.

Francisco

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

@wions said:

@AXYZE said:

Believe this has been discontinued, but good on ya.

GSuite was replaced by Google Workplace, but they both offer unlimited storage. If you bought GSuite then it will still work, there's no forced migration.

@AXYZE said: GSuite was replaced by Google Workplace, but they both offer unlimited storage. If you bought GSuite then it will still work, there's no forced migration.

Just make sure you don't dump an insurmountable amount of data onto gsuite and you have no way to get it out, or somewhere to even put it.

The prune is coming, Chia is going to make it happen that much faster.

Francisco

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited July 2021

@AXYZE said: f you would go with Google Drive website/app instead of Jellyfin then you also have quality selector like on YouTube (360p, 720p, 1080p etc.) because they transcode videos to lower resolutions automatically.

If you're storing copyrighted content unencrypted on Google Drive, they're eventually going to find it. That's likely the first thing they're going to look for when auditing disk space usage of customers that use a lot of space ("unlimited" still has a fair use policy attached, and they still scan for things that are against the ToS). Most people that store that stuff in Google Drive usually use rclone crypt to encrypt it.

Also, if you're using cloud storage, particularly with a product like Google Drive or Dropbox, make sure you have a backup of all the important stuff somewhere else.