Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boomer.host Launch - Free Boomer sticker - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Boomer.host Launch - Free Boomer sticker

Comments

• @ezeth said:
    I'm aware of the payment gateway. I meant automated way of adding an extra fee when someone uses that particular payment gateway

Your business account is blocked? Is that right?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2021

Not really, in some countries, courts have ruled, that PayPal is not above the law and declared these paragraphs in the ToS as invalid.

Thanked by 1Pixels
  • arifurarifur Member

Ordered one then realized no paypal, so was unable to pay. Then read the paypal comments. I think you should allow paypal as many people will more likely to order if you have paypal. Even with the increased fees you will have more customer.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited July 2021

To overcome PayPal surcharge clause the Seller can add handling fee of say $1 for ALL payment types thereby not breaking the Paypal agreement; and after that provide an account credit of $1 to all non-paypal buyers. Paypal has nothing to do about the (usage of) money Seller has already collected. So the Seller is not going against TOS of Paypal and Buyers are happy. win-win for both!

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@ezeth said:

@Ympker said:

@ezeth said:

I'm aware of the payment gateway. I meant automated way of adding an extra fee when someone uses that particular payment gateway

Isn't an extra fee for PayPal as a payment method against there ToS and if reported can get you in trouble, though? Not entirely sure though, but I remember reading something like this a while ago.

Yep. If you scroll up to my comment before you'll see their terms

Although it's also against their terms
    4.5 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for >accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the >sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is >not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

So this means you do charge the same handling fee for all payment options (e.g. also for Stripe if you were to offer PP and Stripe as payment option)? Not sure if customers would want to pay a handling fee for any type of transaction because this, ultimately, adds to the deal price.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2021

@Ympker said:

@ezeth said:

@Ympker said:

@ezeth said:

Isn't an extra fee for PayPal as a payment method against there ToS and if reported can get you in trouble, though? Not entirely sure though, but I remember reading something like this a while ago.

4.5 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for >accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the >sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is >not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

So this means you do charge the same handling fee for all payment options (e.g. also for Stripe if you were to offer PP and Stripe as payment option)? Not sure if customers would want to pay a handling fee for any type of transaction because this, ultimately, adds to the deal price.

I also think it's unfair to charge more to everyone just because paypal has higher fees.

@arifur said:
    Ordered one then realized no paypal, so was unable to pay. Then read the paypal comments. I think you should allow paypal as many people will more likely to order if you have paypal. Even with the increased fees you will have more customer.

I will probably never allow paypal, unless they change their current path on raising fees every now and then. I don't see why everyone cannot use Stripe? I use Stripe checkout so you enter your CC on their site, we don't store them. It's also very secure but we just pay less fees.

If you have your credit/debit card stored in your Apple/Google wallet it's just as easy to checkout as well.

If you really have to use paypal, checkout Millennial hosts offer. They're quite good too https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/172675/mlnl-host-rebranding-and-new-nat-offers-1#latest

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@ezeth said:
    If you really have to use paypal, checkout Millennial hosts offer. They're quite good too

This reminds me of an old Chinese story:

• There are two breakfast shops on the same street, serving the same food in grab-to-go format.
    • The first shop is ugly and expensive; the second shop is average in every way.
    • Everyone see the first shop, shake their heads, and go to the second shop.
    • One day, it's spotted that the food is being moved from the first shop to the second through back alley.
    • It turns out that both shops are owned by the same boss, and they are setup this way so that the second shop appears better in comparison.
  • redcatredcat Member

@yoursunny said:

@ezeth said:
    If you really have to use paypal, checkout Millennial hosts offer. They're quite good too

• There are two breakfast shops on the same street, serving the same food in grab-to-go format.
    • The first shop is ugly and expensive; the second shop is average in every way.
    • One day, it's spotted that the food is being moved from the first shop to the second through back alley.
    • It turns out that both shops are owned by the same boss, and they are setup this way so that the second shop appears better in comparison.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@ezeth said:

@Ympker said:

@ezeth said:

@Ympker said:

@ezeth said:

I also think it's unfair to charge more to everyone just because paypal has higher fees.

@arifur said:

I will probably never allow paypal, unless they change their current path on raising fees every now and then. I don't see why everyone cannot use Stripe? I use Stripe checkout so you enter your CC on their site, we don't store them. It's also very secure but we just pay less fees.

If you have your credit/debit card stored in your Apple/Google wallet it's just as easy to checkout as well.

If you really have to use paypal, checkout Millennial hosts offer. They're quite good too https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/172675/mlnl-host-rebranding-and-new-nat-offers-1#latest

maybe you shoud use the small payments plan in PayPal Google it

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited July 2021

@yoursunny said: It turns out that both shops are owned by the same boss, and they are setup this way so that the second shop appears better in comparison.

yup! Same goes for any Product/Service plans. Seller can just put on a 1st fake plan (and mark is as sold out) or keep a real plan with say $30/mo price which is quite high, and at same time offer 2nd plan for $15/mo with features bit-less than the higher priced one.. Now the psychology of a customer is, they'll see the 1st plan with whooping $30 price-tag, and will incline to buy the $15 plan = more sales. Some big pocket customer might buy the 1st plan - win win for the seller!

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @yoursunny said:

@ezeth said:

Mjj nest and LET owned by same boss?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@JasonM said:

@yoursunny said: It turns out that both shops are owned by the same boss, and they are setup this way so that the second shop appears better in comparison.

yup! Same goes for any Product/Service plans. Seller can just put on a 1st fake plan (and mark is as sold out) or keep a real plan with say $30/mo price which is quite high, and at same time offer 2nd plan for $15/mo with features bit-less than the higher priced one.. Now the psychology of a customer is, they'll see the 1st plan with whooping $30 price-tag, and will incline to buy the $15 plan = more sales. Some big pocket customer might buy the 1st plan - win win for the seller!

I'm thinking more like this:

• 1GB plan, $24
    • 2GB plan, $30

Most would pay 25% more to get double resources.

@dahartigan said:

Boomer and Millennial owned by same boss.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @yoursunny said:

@JasonM said:

I'm thinking more like this:

• 1GB plan, $24
    • 2GB plan, $30

Most would pay 25% more to get double resources.

@dahartigan said:

Boomer and Millennial owned by same boss.

So mjj boss mjj @codydoby isn't LET boss sir @jbiloh in disguise?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said: Boomer and Millennial owned by same boss.

I can assure you we are not.

Do you see us demanding payments in cheques and complaining about cups of coffees costing $5? No sir!

• Tacky

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@dahartigan said:
    Tacky

OK boomer

• @randvegeta said:

@dahartigan said:
    Tacky

OK boomer

Jesus, no! I'm not that old. I'm a mid-80's Millennial.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
    edited July 2021

I'm going to post my next offer in a few days, and I am wondering if there are any particular offers that you want to see? I can do KVM as well as OVZ, maybe you want to see some even cheaper deals but lower specs. 3.5/yr, 256MB ram etc.

Let me know! Feel free to post offer suggestions of your ideal VPS and I'll consider them

• 1TB storagebox for 7/Yr ?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
    edited July 2021

@webclouddev said:
    1TB storagebox for 7/Yr ?

I am limited with the 4TB SSD I got as usable space. The datacenter said they were looking to sell me a 5TB HDD for 150USD, so with a setup fee of 20USD i'm sure your above deal is fine

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @ezeth said:
    I'm going to post my next offer in a few days, and I am wondering if there are any particular offers that you want to see? I can do KVM as well as OVZ, maybe you want to see some even cheaper deals but lower specs. 3.5/yr, 256MB ram etc.

Let me know! Feel free to post offer suggestions of your ideal VPS and I'll consider them

Would love to see 512MB ram plan.

• @ezeth said:
    so with a setup fee of 20USD i'm sure your above deal is fine

interested

• This has to be my favorite lol

@webclouddev said:

@ezeth said:

interested

OVZ7 1GB ram container fine? Or do you want KVM?

• redcatredcat Member
    edited July 2021
    edited July 2021

@zipfibre said:
    This has to be my favorite lol

Actually, on the web hosting that's still work in progress it's going to be using ApisCP, test site https://test.boomer.host/

It seems great and all https://apiscp.com/. I can't wait for the reseller packages. ApisCP UI suck balls like the current clientexec, but it's very well setup and extreamly easy to manage if you want to install Wordpress etc. Much better than Cpanel

It would also be great if they would offer LiteSpeed web server, but they have no plans on doing so when I asked :/

• @ezeth said:

@webclouddev said:

@ezeth said:

interested

Would be interested, too. But only if it will be KVM ;-) What about bandwith?

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@ezeth said:

@webclouddev said:

@ezeth said:

interested

would i be able to change from ovz to kvm even if specs will be reduced

@smarty24 said:

@ezeth said:

@webclouddev said:

@ezeth said:

interested

1.08USD/TB seems like a fair price, it's literally the cost of the bandwidth.
    300GB per month (3.6TB per year) with the option to buy extra bandwidth for the above price

edited July 2021

@skorupion said:

@ezeth said:

@webclouddev said:

@ezeth said:

interested

would i be able to change from ovz to kvm even if specs will be reduced

No sorry. No support is also no transfers as this cannot be automated :/

Yeah the specs on the kvm will be reduced a lot.

@smarty24 said:

@ezeth said:

@webclouddev said:

@ezeth said:

interested

3600GB Bandwidth per year, 300GB monthly. But I cannot recommend KVM for such a budget VM, it will eat your RAM :D

Tray Caddys has been ordered and it will arrive next week. That's when you will see the massive offer thread. OVZ, KVM, and the storage offer