Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best, "cheap" DDOS protection provider in Europe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best, "cheap" DDOS protection provider in Europe

AXYZEAXYZE Member
edited July 2021 in Requests

We can see a lot of sweet deals here at LET and pretty much every VPS provider offers DDoS Protection, but of course protection wont be the same across all of them. So far I didnt got any DDoS on my current projects, one project is getting really popular and my current VPS isnt fast enough. I need to buy better VPS, but then also if app gets bigger I can make some "problems" for competition and maybe some angry kids will DDoS me so I'm searching for solution that wont give me problems in future.

Cheap is relative, but I'm speaking about 10-40euro / month offers. If I will be happy then I can move all my projects there and then I will look at solutions for like 150-200 euro/month - will it change your recommendation?

Few years ago one provider (nazwa.pl) turned off my server, they told me it is because of DDoS attacks so in the end I paid for something that didn't work. They didn't block internet, they completely turned off my server. They called it "advanced DDoS protection with hardware firewall and high availability". They still call it like that on their website and they are #2 biggest provider in Poland, because its VERY difficult to escape from them if you have domains there, but that's another story. That's why I'm skeptical about all these claims and I don't want to lose money once again.

There's couple of providers that I used, but I didn't got any DDoS on my new projects so that's why I would like to hear good and bad things about them from you guys.

• NetCup. They claim up to 2Tb/s mitigation for root servers. My current fav provider, because their perf/price ratio is so good. I hate their cancel policy tho.
  • Hetzner. Long time ago they nullrouted, after that they introduced some proper DDoS Protection, but many people found it too slow to react, how its now?
  • PHP-Friends. I heard 0 complaints about them. Awesome perf/price ratio like NetCup.
  • OVH. In pretty much every forum they are rated #1 DDoS protected VPS provider, but many people found out, that they don't filter anything in their own network and support takes weeks to respond. Did they fix it? Is this a huge problem in your experience?
  • BuyVM + $3 DDoS protection addon sound sweet. Idk if they use Magic Transit or path.net right now.
  • x4b.net. They give you tunnel that routes traffic to your existing servers. Overkill or maybe that's proper protection that I should invest in?
  • Nexusbytes. They claim they only have basic DDoS protection (and I like their honesty), but maybe even this basic protection is enough?

Tell me about your experience with these VPS providers or DDoS protection providers. How fast they react? What was the biggest attack which they mitigated? Are they nullrouting? Maybe I should look into other provider?

tl;dr
Europe. Web Server. Which VPS (ex. Netcup) /anti-DDoS (ex. x4b) provider mitigates the best? Offers(VPS+tunnel/VPS/whatever would be the best) up to 40 euro / month.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

We're on Path :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Overkill for your target of best. Does that make us better than the best?

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • My production sites are on php-friends.de
    Love them.

Thanked by 2AXYZE dataforest
  • BinaryBinary Member, Host Rep

php-friends is good.
    Let us know which specs you need and I might be able to come up with something :)

Thanked by 2AXYZE dataforest
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

@SplitIce said:
    Overkill for your target of best. Does that make us better than the best?

That makes everybody else not the best :D I see on your site that you can also cache static stuff. If I would use x4b then I should still use Cloudflare? Could I do load balancing between servers like with Cloudflare?

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@amadex1337 said:
    My production sites are on php-friends.de
    Love them.

@Binary said:
    php-friends is good.
    Let us know which specs you need and I might be able to come up with something :)

Right now I think mostly about Netcup (2x RS 2000 G9) and PHP-Friends (vServer L). With netcup I would need to load balance ofc, but I can do it with cloudflare at minimal cost.

I'm super happy with Netcup, but PHP-Friends bigger servers (especially this 8 core vServer) have amazing value. At least that's what I see from specs. There's one thing that worries me - I see that PHP-Friends site is in german. Idk if you guys are german speakers (I'm not) so could I communicate with support in English? How long are you customers and did you had any problem with them? Could you tell/show me what options are available in their control panel?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

I see on your site that you can also cache static stuff. If I would use x4b then I should still use Cloudflare?

We don't tell our customers what to do. However do note Layer 7 mitigation with other Web Accelerators in play is not a supported configuration and does have known issues.

Source: https://www.x4b.net/kb/WebsiteSetup

Can I use third party Web Accelerator services with this protection?

We do not officially support any third-party web accelerator services (such as CloudFlare). At the very least to prevent mitigation issues ensure that the Accelerator service supports HTTP Keepalive and that the appropriate settings for Client-IP forwarding are configured in the HTTP Options section of the X4B port interface.

Enhanced HTTP Filtering is not compatible with any form of Web Accelerator service.

Could I do load balancing between servers like with Cloudflare?

Yes

Source: https://www.x4b.net/features

Load Balancing
    Backend Load Balancers are included to aid in your traffic management needs. Scale your application to never before seen heights while providing High Availability through redundant backup peers. Our platform provides the functionality required with a variety of configuration options are available depending on your requirements.

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • sgheghelesgheghele Member
    edited July 2021

@AXYZE said: NetCup. They claim up to 2Tb/s mitigation for root servers. My current fav provider, because their perf/price ratio is so good. I hate their cancel policy tho.

I tested various providers for a Web application. My tests included a run of loader.io, the free plan, which is quite limited. While Netcup never claimed L7 protection AFAIK, they were the only provider that null routed me because of a loader.io run. Or, basically, a "higher load" simulation. Make what you want with this, but it made me decide against them. This was a root vDedi server, not a VPS.

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • @AXYZE said:

@amadex1337 said:
    My production sites are on php-friends.de
    Love them.

@Binary said:
    php-friends is good.

Right now I think mostly about Netcup (2x RS 2000 G9) and PHP-Friends (vServer L). With netcup I would need to load balance ofc, but I can do it with cloudflare at minimal cost.

I'm super happy with Netcup, but PHP-Friends bigger servers (especially this 8 core vServer) have amazing value. At least that's what I see from specs. There's one thing that worries me - I see that PHP-Friends site is in german. Idk if you guys are german speakers (I'm not) so could I communicate with support in English? How long are you customers and did you had any problem with them? Could you tell/show me what options are available in their control panel?

I use php-friends for the last 10 months, they do provide support during office hours german time & can provide support in english. For problems, they do like 20 min maintenance every 6 months or so to update their node, apart from that no issues so far, they just give you a solusvm login when you sign up so not sure what options you are looking for.

Thanked by 2dataforest AXYZE
  • Been using netcup for several years now but I don't think I ever got ddosed so I'm not sure how good their protection would be. On the other hand, Hetzner servers are great but their ddos protection isn't the best.

PHP-Friends has my vouch as well, been using them for nearly a year now and except an issue from a week ago where one of their carriers died and the IPv4 addresses stopped working for a few minutes, they have been really great. I don't think I got attacked with them either although others seem to have had a good experience regarding that which is why I picked them too.

OVH would probably be the cheapest and their protection works great most of the time depending what kind of services are you running. If it's a TCP service then the protection should be stellar, been using them for over a decade and they never failed.

BuyVM improved a lot as well since the last time I've used them besides, you can basically get direct help from the owner himself and he will always try to find a way to help you out.

I only used Nexusbytes for a while and I never needed ddos protection with them as for x4b I never used them since I'd rather not have remote protection but I'm positive their services are great and they are true professionals if you are in need of remote ddos protection. They expanded a lot over the years.

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • Best or cheapest, I guess that's where you need to make a decision.
    Netcup, PHP-Friends and all those are good but when you're targeted too often and too big, it may come to an end soon. Only provider which accepts pretty much all DDoS is OVH afaik. Honestly, I doubt you'll be soon big enough that you have to worry about it with either of those. PHP-Friends should suit your needs just as good as OVH or x4b.

Thanked by 1AXYZE