Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a Nextcloud VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a Nextcloud VPS

Basically I'm looking for a storage VPS that wouldn't crap out when Nextcloud starts generating image previews and backup operations.

The TNAHosting 500GB plan would've been great if only it weren't OpenVZ.

Actual requirements:

• Must be KVM
  • At least 10 GB of NVMe storage for the OS, Nextcloud and MariaDB + at least 500 GB HDD or attachable block storage for Nextcloud data
  • At least 2 GB of RAM
  • At least 2 CPUs
  • At least 1 TB bandwidth per month on 1 Gbit
  • 1 Dedicated IPv4, IPv6 optional

Not very fixed on these requirements apart from the minimum 500 GB storage for data. I just need Nextcloud and restic (to back up Nextcloud) working without crapping out.

I currently bought a test instance at BuyVM and download/upload speeds to/from my home (Manila, PH on PLDT) are abysmal, so I'm looking for other options.

Budget is $5-$15/month, can be more if the specs and network are worth it.

Comments

• Hetzner Storage, if you need 500GB NextCloud its only € 5.83 / mo

• @chocolateshirt said:
    Hetzner Storage, if you need 500GB NextCloud its only € 5.83 / mo

Hetzner's speeds to Asian countries aren't great. Would've honestly loved to just get one from them though.

• jcarlo9jcarlo9 Barred
    edited July 2021

Los Angeles is the optimal location outside Asia if you need a desirable network speed to/from PH

• KassemKassem Member

@chocolateshirt

That would give him bad speed to his location (Philippines) (anything in Europe is too far).

@definitelyliam I'd say that slow speed from BuyVM to your location is expected because the physical distance is just too much.

You would get better speeds from servers located in:
    1. Singapore (2K km) (best).
    2. Australia (4.4K km).
    3. India (4.6K km).
    4. Russia (5.5K km).

The problem is that these locations are expensive compared to the standard Europe or US locations.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

maybe letbox @key900 in LA

Thanked by 1letbox
  • edited July 2021

@Kassem said:
    @chocolateshirt

That would give him bad speed to his location (Philippines) (anything in Europe is too far).

@definitelyliam I'd say that slow speed from BuyVM to your location is expected because the physical distance is just too much.

You would get better speeds from servers located in:
    1. Singapore (2K km) (best).
    2. Australia (4.4K km).
    3. India (4.6K km).
    4. Russia (5.5K km).

The problem is that these locations are expensive compared to the standard Europe or US locations.

Exactly. Was originally just thinking of grabbing a Singapore VPS from Linode/DO and use their S3-compatible storage for Nextcloud. I could probably tolerate the expensive cost but Nextcloud with S3 as primary storage works horribly, so I'm trying to look for attachable block storage or secondary storage.

@bruh21 said:
    maybe letbox @key900 in LA

I'll go check LetBox out. Los Angeles would probably work. Thanks!

• jcarlo9jcarlo9 Barred
    edited July 2021

Try this storage plan from @seriesn on LA loc

https://nexusbytes.com/storage-vps

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited July 2021

@jcarlo9 said:

Due to nature of storage VPS, usage of Next Cloud or similar cloud syncing software is not recomended. You will notice degraded performance.

Storage VPS, meant to be used for raw storage and storing backups. Not recommended to be used for regular hosting. Should not be used as seed box or anything that requires constant read and writes.

Once again. Storage VPS's are meant for storing backup. This is not just "cheap" big disk VPS. Storage VPS's are not meant to be used as mail server, sql server, seed box etc. Seriously. Please don't. Don't be the noisy neighbor. Policies are there for reasons.

Just make sure to not hammer the IO or Uncle Bob will not be happy

Thanked by 1jcarlo9
  • LaxminLaxmin Member
    edited July 2021

I had self hosted Nextcloud on DigitalOcean, Bengaluru/India.
    Recently the Nextcloud's PDF fileviewer broke in a recent release - happens more frequently than expected. The hassle of fixing many such issues is a pain in the derriere. Also, when plugins and extensions are involved, NextCloud can act up very quickly on upgrades.

I got myself a Hetzner storage boxes - speeds are low to India/Asia, but tolerable, but that's just me sacrificing latency for cheap and reliable storage.

Hope some provider will provide hosted NextCloud - there is a large market waiting to be exploited by providers.

• @jmgcaguicla said:

@jcarlo9 said:

Due to nature of storage VPS, usage of Next Cloud or similar cloud syncing software is not recomended. You will notice degraded performance.

Storage VPS, meant to be used for raw storage and storing backups. Not recommended to be used for regular hosting. Should not be used as seed box or anything that requires constant read and writes.

Once again. Storage VPS's are meant for storing backup. This is not just "cheap" big disk VPS. Storage VPS's are not meant to be used as mail server, sql server, seed box etc. Seriously. Please don't. Don't be the noisy neighbor. Policies are there for reasons.

Just make sure to not hammer the IO or Uncle Bob will not be happy

Yep. Was honestly looking at getting one from NexusBytes but the order form explicitly states that it was never meant for Nextcloud.

@Laxmin said:
    I had self hosted Nextcloud on DigitalOcean, Bengaluru/India.
    Recently the Nextcloud's PDF fileviewer broke in a recent release - happens more frequently than expected. The hassle of fixing many such issues is a pain in the derriere. Also, when plugins and extensions are involved, NextCloud can act up very quickly on upgrades.

I got myself a Hetzner storage boxes - speeds are low to India/Asia, but tolerable, but that's just me sacrificing latency for cheap and reliable storage.

Hope some provider will provide hosted NextCloud - there is a large market waiting to be exploited by providers.

Were you using the object storage on DigitalOcean or were your data stored on the disk itself? Haven't seen the latest performance for S3 as primary storage but seeing as my PR is still open to fix an issue with NC's implementation of S3 as primary storage I doubt it's not as first-class as it's supposed to be.

• KassemKassem Member

@definitelyliam said: Exactly. Was originally just thinking of grabbing a Singapore VPS from Linode/DO and use their S3-compatible storage for Nextcloud. I could probably tolerate the expensive cost but Nextcloud with S3 as primary storage works horribly, so I'm trying to look for attachable block storage or secondary storage.

Have you tried mounting the S3 bucket (Singapore region) using https://github.com/s3fs-fuse/s3fs-fuse?

AWS also has an official VM solution that allows you to mount S3 as block storage but that will need a willing provider that has a Singapore location to setup the KVM machine for you to be able to use it: https://aws.amazon.com/storagegateway/

Maybe @tomazu and/or @hosthatch could offer storage products in Singapore in the future, that could help you and others in the same boat.

Thanked by 1tomazu
  • @Kassem said:

@definitelyliam said: Exactly. Was originally just thinking of grabbing a Singapore VPS from Linode/DO and use their S3-compatible storage for Nextcloud. I could probably tolerate the expensive cost but Nextcloud with S3 as primary storage works horribly, so I'm trying to look for attachable block storage or secondary storage.

Have you tried mounting the S3 bucket (Singapore region) using https://github.com/s3fs-fuse/s3fs-fuse?

AWS also has an official VM solution that allows you to mount S3 as block storage but that will need a willing provider that has a Singapore location to setup the KVM machine for you to be able to use it: https://aws.amazon.com/storagegateway/

Maybe @tomazu and/or @hosthatch could offer storage products in Singapore in the future, that could help you and others in the same boat.

Mounting S3 via FUSE isn't really a good option for a couple of reasons:

• File ownership & permissions, which Nextcloud checks for, is not applicable (AFAIK Nextcloud makes sure that folders aren't chmodded to 0777 or something, which can't be changed on a FUSE mount)
    • If a connection breaks during file operations, I may end up with a corrupted file
    • I would still need a large disk to cache the mount until it eventually gets uploaded to the bucket
  • LaxminLaxmin Member
    edited July 2021

Pardon me, it is Hetzner Storage Share, NOT Storage Box.

However, please have a look at this interesting thread where Hetzner Storage Box is mounted as a CIFS mount on NextCloud.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2021

In case you weren't aware, here's a list of NC providers that might come in handy

https://github.com/nextcloud/providers

Mostly managed NC, based out of Europe, and a couple of names might be familiar..

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

@definitelyliam said:
    Basically I'm looking for a storage VPS that wouldn't crap out when Nextcloud starts generating image previews and backup operations.

The TNAHosting 500GB plan would've been great if only it weren't OpenVZ.

Actual requirements:

• Must be KVM
    • At least 10 GB of NVMe storage for the OS, Nextcloud and MariaDB + at least 500 GB HDD or attachable block storage for Nextcloud data
    • At least 2 GB of RAM
    • At least 2 CPUs
    • At least 1 TB bandwidth per month on 1 Gbit
    • 1 Dedicated IPv4, IPv6 optional

Not very fixed on these requirements apart from the minimum 500 GB storage for data. I just need Nextcloud and restic (to back up Nextcloud) working without crapping out.

I currently bought a test instance at BuyVM and download/upload speeds to/from my home (Manila, PH on PLDT) are abysmal, so I'm looking for other options.

Budget is $5-$15/month, can be more if the specs and network are worth it.

We can do it : Check our Plans