Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a cheap provider with direct admin license
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a cheap provider with direct admin license

Hey,

I'm looking for a really cheap plan to manage my client domains and I've gotten attached to directadmin and their api. No websites will be hosted on this vps so cpu/ram/storage doesn't matter much to me, just enough to run DA. I've connected namesilo's api with directadmin in order to run my own managed domain service. My budget 5-10/yr.

Comments

• You want to run DA on $ 5-10 / yr VPS.. really?

Thanked by 1niceboy
  • If i gotta raise budget I will

• I aint wanna go higher than $25 though

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@stephfd21 said:
    I aint wanna go higher than $25 though

Get a slice? $20/yr with free DA license

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

you could try a vm from @Francisco but youll want more specs to run DA without headaches

• @FAT32 said:

@stephfd21 said:
    I aint wanna go higher than $25 though

Get a slice? $20/yr with free DA license

Ah, I didn't know if the 512mb DA would've been able to run... Thats the best option then.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@stephfd21 said:
    Ah, I didn't know if the 512mb DA would've been able to run... Thats the best option then.

I tried to run it on 256MB before... it is working but need some swap, and since you are using it for DNS only so should be fine?

In addition, why not use shared DA instead?

• @bruh21 said:
    you could try a vm from @Francisco but youll want more specs to run DA without headaches

That's my main concern but I'm thinking that because I'm not hosting anything else but the domain names and dns records, then I should be fine. Everything would be managed in my custom domain panel on my site and interact solely with the DA api for adding and removing dns records.

• @FAT32 said:

@stephfd21 said:

I tried to run it on 256MB before... it is working but need some swap, and since you are using it for DNS only so should be fine?

In addition, why not use shared DA instead?

DA requires the admin details to use their api for remotely managing domains. I have a domain reseller section as well so my customers would need to be able to resell domains on their websites via my services.

• Also, please excuse my lack of punctuation. I speak 3rd world Caribbean

• Hey @Francisco I contacted support and they said DA Licenses doesn't come with the 512mb plan.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@stephfd21 said:
    Hey @Francisco I contacted support and they said DA Licenses doesn't come with the 512mb plan.

Yeah you really don't want to do that.

It doesn't install properly and OOM's. We've allowed some people to do it, but it always just ends up with massive swap abuse.

Francisco

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

You realise DirectAdmin’s internal price is $5/m right? Your goal is just to knowlingly make the provider lose on the license ALONE…

• @RickBakkr said:
    You realise DirectAdmin’s internal price is $5/m right? Your goal is just to knowlingly make the provider lose on the license ALONE…

@RickBakkr to say that I realize is to assume I had prior knowledge. This is news to me, I always thought it was some type of special arrangement

• @RickBakkr said:

What he expects is that some provider would have a lot of lifetime licenses. Therefore, the provider isn't losing out that much. As for internal licenses, wasn't that an option for providers only, and not end users? Correct me if I'm wrong.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2021

You'd think he'd learn a lesson by being scammed recently.

But nope.

• @deank said:
    You'd think he'd learn a lesson by being scammed recently.

But nope.

I did learn my lesson, the purpose of this is just for domain management with DA. No backups would be needed for this. I went ahead and got some beefier plans with fran and nexus

• @Entexion said:

@RickBakkr said:

What he expects is that some provider would have a lot of lifetime licenses. Therefore, the provider isn't losing out that much. As for internal licenses, wasn't that an option for providers only, and not end users? Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's what I thought tbh. I didn't know they paid for it.

• @stephfd21 said:
    Hey,

I'm looking for a really cheap plan to manage my client domains and I've gotten attached to directadmin and their api. No websites will be hosted on this vps so cpu/ram/storage doesn't matter much to me, just enough to run DA. I've connected namesilo's api with directadmin in order to run my own managed domain service. My budget 5-10/yr.

If you can up your budget little, EntryBytes.com :)

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@Entexion said:

@RickBakkr said:

Do people actually hand those out? Should keep those for internal use hehe

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @RickBakkr said:

@Entexion said:

@RickBakkr said:

Do people actually hand those out? Should keep those for internal use hehe

Reality is a bit different. Have seen it happen many times.